Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
This is where Bambo should have gone (lots of pics)

Had I been able to come down here in December... You'll have to visualize the little guy here

Lunch at my mom's place yesterday... All the staff had a day off for Songkran (the Thai New Year), so we stuck around in the afternoon... Roast pork, potato salad, followed by bread and cheese, then creme caramel (not pictured, photographer too busy stuffing his face)

Weather was weird, bright sun but light rain as well, made for some nice nature pics

It was damn hot later so I went for a dip in the pool (not pictured, I'll spare you the horror)

So yeah, a big plug because I can... If anyone's looking to go on holidays to Phuket, I can highly recommend my mom's place www.lejardin-phuket.net

But anyway, in the town proper, it was madness. As you may or may not know, the celebrations of Songkran is also known as the Water festival and people just go wild in the streets drenching each other with waterguns, buckets, etc... We stayed away from all that though, but here's some pics of the madness when we headed out for dinner:

Today, though, my mom and I went out most of the day, to do some sightseeing, and meet some friends on another part of the island, Rawai in the south. The road there is one of my favorites, as the island is quite hilly, this road follows above the western coastline and is quite twisty. Unfortunately there were a lot of people on it ...

First stop of the day was the "Big Buddha", a large statue that had been in construction for several years now on top of a hill, overlooking a large part of the south of the island. It is 45m (135ft) tall and covered in marble, quite impressive. There was a TON of people there so we didn't stick around soooo long...

Some spiritual words:

There's some really nice viewpoints on the way up there, here is Karon beach:

And on the other side, Phuket Town, the main city:

Then we went to pick up some friends and have a refreshment at their lovely house...

And we went off for lunch... to a very secluded little bay nearby with a simple but delicious restaurant by the water. My cousin, who also lives here, met us along with his adorable daughter. I hadn't seen her for over a year, those lil things sure grow fast

Then we headed back home, so here's some interesting pics along the way...

Kata Beach, always some decent waves here, not surf-worthy but fun..

Next beach over, Karon. Used to spend a lot of time here with my friends as a kid:

Mom didn't feel like getting out of the car:

(That's talcum power on the hood, mixed in with the water people splash on each other. And the car is a Honda City, essentially a Fit sedan, heckuvalot of fun to drive I must admit)

And finally the long way back to Le Jardin, over the hilly roads (I used to really rip along these back when I was here with my motorcycle... good days... til I got my mom's car in a ditch )

All right, I hope you enjoyed the ridealong Phuket's getting more and more developed, in the year since I last came there's been so many new buildings and more and more people, but still, this is the place I grew up, the place I consider home, and I love it dearly

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
hahah yeah it's still a very spiritual country

And indeed, it is paradise here, mostly... I do wish I could come back and live down here and AFAIK I am very much alive... I hope...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Amazing pics. Looks like I might've found my next vacation spot

BTW, how do you properly pronounce "Phuket"? If I go I don't wanna get any dirty looks from the locals for saying it the way it's spelled. Already had that problem once with a former teacher named "Mrs. (Amaya) Dumas"

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

hahaha yes, sadly a common problem... it's not an F sound, it's like a long P, breathing out as you say it.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I have friends that "winter" there every year to go Scuba diving and chase women!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
Thomas, thank you for sharing your experience with us, very nice pictures!

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
Thomas!!! These pictures are fantastic. I had no idea Thailand was so beautiful! Your mom's place, is it sort of like an Inn?

ENJOY that vacation!

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
seeing those pictures reminds me of colombia, glass coke bottles and all.....
Old 04-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Very nice pics Thomas, gives me a general idea of the country. Might plan a vacation there sometime :D. Your family has nice house/s though! Def. living the life. The hell w/ living in California :P
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Wow.. I had no idea Thailand was so beautiful either.. Thanks for sharing Thomas!
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Beautiful, very lush and tropical, thanks for sharing!
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 AM   #12
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
I have friends that "winter" there every year to go Scuba diving and chase women!
Hahaha yes, two very popular activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by m911gt View Post
Thomas, thank you for sharing your experience with us, very nice pictures!
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
Thomas!!! These pictures are fantastic. I had no idea Thailand was so beautiful! Your mom's place, is it sort of like an Inn?

ENJOY that vacation!
Yeah it's a very friendly, big-family kinda place, the personal touch is very important
Vacation's over now though

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
seeing those pictures reminds me of colombia, glass coke bottles and all.....
You can't get Coke and similar drinks in glass bottles in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Very nice pics Thomas, gives me a general idea of the country. Might plan a vacation there sometime :D. Your family has nice house/s though! Def. living the life. The hell w/ living in California :P
Haha yeah, it's not all like you see on the news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank View Post
Wow.. I had no idea Thailand was so beautiful either.. Thanks for sharing Thomas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Beautiful, very lush and tropical, thanks for sharing!
Glad you all enjoyed it... As I mentioned above, I mostly wanted to post these as a reminder that despite all the bad news on TV about political turmoil, this is still an amazing country and I would find it hard to imagine life anywhere else...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Thanks for the beautiful pics, it was like taking a mini-vacation at my desk!

Now, back to the drudgery that is my job!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Great shots, tell Mom I'll see her next year for vacation, lol

I have one of these in my backyard. It's a bitch to mow around

This guy was really excited to see you I guess
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
I always love seeing pictures from other countries. I'm at that stage of my life where I want to travel everywhere and do as much as I can. Thailand is actually on the list of places I want to go. In all likelihood I'll be travelling there within the next three years. Perhaps I'll see y'all there :P
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #16
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Nice pics, Thomas! You make me (and my (French) gf) want to come visit!