Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
trevor1980
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2005 (old spec)
Help with oil change

Hi guys, newbie here so please be gentle with me :-)

I'm finally going to take the plunge and do an oil change service myself on my Yaris. I've seen the instructions and it seems fairly straightforward but I'm really confused about what oil spec to use.

I've looked in the owners manual and it says I can use either 20w-50, 15w-40, 10w-30 or 5w-30 but when I go on the halfords website it gives me a different spec to choose from.

I've heard people say that exon mobil 1 is the best to use??? Also heard people say that synthetic oil is better than mineral oil?

Also have heard people say that it's better to do an oil change every 5k miles and 6 months rather than 10k miles and 12 months!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Trevor

Ps:- I have a 2005 (old spec) Yaris 1.4 d4d T3
trevor1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
It's hard for me to suggest any help because I don't know if your 1.4 is different from our U.S. 1.5 litre engine.

I for mine, I run 5w-30 because that's what is suggested in the manual. And with synthetic, that's a never ending battle. Almost like Mac or Windows, both will do the trick, it just comes down to personal preference and one is more expensive than the other. I ran Mobil 1 for a while but my car didn't seem to "like" it as compared to some others like Castrol GTX mineral oil. With the Castrol, it just seemed to run smoother and such.

I run synthetic right now but I might just go back to using normal mineral oil
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
YAY a oil thread....

lol, i personally would call toyota and inquire about the oil change and find out what weight of oil they would use for the change
Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
find out what was used for your previous service
diesels usually takes 15W-40 oil
IMO as long as you keep up with maintenence regularly you dont need to go full synthetic

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote