Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Daily driver coilovers...asking for suggestions

Here are the inputs:

Current setup:
1) Car is a 2008, base model, 1.5L 3 door with 100K on it
2) Suspension is currently all stock
3) Wheels and tires are new and sizes are as follows: wheels 16x7; tires 205/50/16s Kumho...I really like this combination because the wheels/tires are just inside the fenders, but fill out the wheel wells nicely in anticipation for dropping it
4) Getting a TRD sway bar (the red one) installed next week
5) Megan racing axle-back (thanks to Garm at Micro for this one)
6) K&N CAI
7) Budget - very open

Desire:
1) Better suspension that I can adjust both height and dampening to suit my taste
2) Drop it 1-1.5" without needing to roll the fenders...just want a classy drop with out having to do any further custom work
3) Want to just be able to bolt on the new suspension without having to do much else than adjust it and get an alignment...I am handy enough with tools and read the DIYs here extensively
4) Want this to continue to be my continued daily driver where I put about 70 miles a day on it 5 days a week. This car will NOT be raced or see a track.
5) As far as stiffness, I would like it stiffer than stock at the minimum and max very stiff (not sure that makes sense, but keep in mind this would be a daily driver). Just want a lot of flexibility if possible.

I am going to talk to Micro (Garm/Jeff) about what they suggest, but I am interested in any thoughts from those with coilovers and their rides are strictly daily drivers that want to look good and have very good handling when desired.

With all that in mind, what would y'all recommend?

Thanks for any input and don't sweat my budget as I am rather open.

Pat
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
That's a great mod list you've got going. Id like to see some pics.

On to the topic: it is absolutely possible to daily with coilovers... I do it. I commute ~25 miles/day with maybe 50-60 miles of miscellaneous driving the rest of the week. Currently I have Megan coilovers and I have them slammed! In the front I have at the most, 1" more of adj and in the rear I am riding on shorter springs than what come with the kit. By no means is my car undriveable. Yes its stiff, yes it rubs a little, but it looks amazing, handles beautifully, and allows me to run my 17x10s.

With the wheels you have now I doubt you would rub but I can't say for sure without knowing the et. If you want only 1-1.5" you should go for like MI springs and tokico shocks/struts. It will be more like 1.75 drop but will give fantastic handling and cost half the price. You wont have adjustability but if you don't plan to track it or go super low then adjustability might not be necessary.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Ok, based on recommendations from Micro Image and Phil (1.5), I decided to go with a combination strut/shock/spring setup including:

1) Eibach Prokit springs
2) Tokico Blue shocks/struts

I went out tonight and measured my clearance from the top of the fender to the top of my tires and it is 2 inches front and rear, so this will give me a profile of 1" drop in the front and 1.25" in the rear so the front has more travel room to avoid rubbing with only the 1" drop.

Thanks to Phil and Jeff at Micro Image for all the wonderful choices and helping me make a decision that I do not believe I will regret.
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ awesome -- your car will feel so much better to drive with those upgrades.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
saweeeeet!!! cant wait to see/hear once done

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
go with a linear spring rate, best feel/performance, then go with a good set of struts/shocks. im sure you already know that. ive seen to many broken eibachs to ever let friends buy them.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers