Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Spam!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
fybur
fybur

Drives: 2013 Yaris L A/T Magnetic Grey
The first 5 1/2 pages of the 3rd gen room is spam.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think it was astroman that said that he could moderate (take down spam) from all but the 3rd gen stuff.

it is getting silly. Other forums make the first 5 posts or so by approval and then you are free. I know other sites that make you take a test (i.e. read a paragraph and type in the 4th word of the 3rd sentence or similar) to prove you are a human.

I can't remember what you had to do to be a member here but I think we need to change it. some simple steps would really cut down on all this crap.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #22
fybur
fybur

As much as it pains me to say they should use capcatcha or however the hell you spell it
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
^ very true. The Bronco forum that I am on actually has pretty steep rules that include not being able to create a new thread except in the Noob area until you have 50 posts as replies on other threads. Pissed me off at first, but then again it has its purpose.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
fybur
fybur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
^ very true. The Bronco forum that I am on actually has pretty steep rules that include not being able to create a new thread except in the Noob area until you have 50 posts as replies on other threads. Pissed me off at first, but then again it has its purpose.
That sounds like a better alternative
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #25
fybur
fybur

This current spam attack is ridiculous. New spam is posted every 3-5 minutes
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Moved this to the suggestions section. I don't knowwhy they keep bothering I really wish the Adkins would put something in place. And captcha is easily bypassed.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Spam-O-Matic is my weapon of choice on our forums. One click and the user is deleted, banned, their IP is banned and all of their posts/blogs are erased.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #28
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Ugh that would be awesome on here. I haven't even been allowed to modify/delete any posts in the 3rd gen section, and can't delete blogs (which 99.999% of are spam). Best I can do is manually copy and paste the username in the moderators control panel and ban. Very frustrating but I do my best to keep the peace here.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #29
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ You sure do, and we all appreciate it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #30
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
I too appreciate the moderators. My point is the mind blowing waste of time the spammers spend that merely annoys us.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #31
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
There was a user here (who will remain nameless) that actually bought something from one of the spammers. I think that put us on a list somewhere... "Hey, these people buy stuff".

The amount of effort on their part is very little as most of it is done by software randomly generating screen names and just pastes the same spam thread over and over.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #32
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
It would seem this site was almost overrun by spam.
I think it's the lax rules here.
Most sites now have some sort of security in place.

I think 10 posts under moderation for new users.
First spam caught, User is immediately banned.
and yeah, Catching the IP address would be spectacular.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #33
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
If CT were to leave

Quote:
we would be losing quite an asset

Understatement of the year (or longer).
Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Something needs to be done, there are a half dozen threads this morning started by spammers.

Either get some software in place or add more moderators, but do something soon as it won't take long until this forum is overrun by them and the regulars start leaving...
Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #35
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Guys chill! We have plenty of mods cleaning it up! Bitching about it doesn't do anything, REPORTING the posts does! The problem is the admins haven't put anything in the registration process or limits for new posters and they (for reasons unknown) did not grant me the power to moderate ANYTHING in the 3rd gen section (tk-421 does, so I've started PM'ing him after I've done a cleansing.)

The spammers seem to know that most of us are in North America, so they hit us when most of us are asleep or in the morning. I am on here at least 4 times a day on the computer or my mobile double checking for spam, and most of it I find wasn't reported. What upsets me is when I see people commenting on the spam thread itself, but not bothering to let us know by reporting it. IF we work together and be persistent, this wave of attacks won't be so noticeable and things WILL settle down. We've been through spam assaults before and survived (remember the great iPad flood of 2012?) Spam that is easily deleted (and is taken care of promptly) is no reason to bail on a site. We survived the hack of 2008, we can survive some spam.

So PLEASE, keep reporting posts, and us active moderators will do our best until the wave lets up or the admins do something. I am for the removal of moderator privileges for our moderators who have bailed on the site, but that of course requires admin privileges. We tried to get eTiMaGo super moderator privileges a while back but Yarisbueller got upset he was on microimage, so eTiMaGo stepped down because they refused to do anything about giving us more control.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #36
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
There was a user here (who will remain nameless) that actually bought something from one of the spammers. .

It was me! Its all my fault! I didnt know any better! I swear!

Im old and studied Ancient Greek in college in 1973!

It was only recently I figured out what this meant! : ) (sideways smile)

I dont even have a cellphone!

So you see I know NOTHING about modern things at all!