Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
TRD t-stat 160F degrees

While searching for a TRD t-stat on ebay, I discovered that both my Yaris and Supra share the same TRD t-stat. Was gonna buy an extra TRD t-stat for my Supra to experiment on when I thought of buying one for my Yaris too. Has anyone ever installed one and see any differences?
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
YES same part number but over here its EXPENSIVE and hard to find.......

16340-sp020....

Last edited by BLAZINBLUEVITZ; 05-07-2009 at 01:32 PM.
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
botchilah

U$86.50?

If I bought it locally here in the Philippines it would come out to about U$130.00 so I myself am not complaining lol
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
Old 05-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
while good for track use it's horrible to get one for the street

the car will never end up in closed loop mode and you'll dump fuel constantly as if you're in cold mode. my camaro mileage drastically improved when i went back to original 185* tstat....but my times dropped at the track
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #5
botchilah

Really? thanks for the heads-up. It gets hot here a lot and when I thrash the Yaris even just 10 minutes straight then stop in traffic, the water temp gets as high as 98 degrees on my SCAN GAUGE hehehe which is what led me to think about getting one for my Yaris.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Crossbow

Drives: 2008.5 Speed3, 2007 Yaris Lift
Thermostat's only change "when" the thermostat is at full-open. It does nothing to improve your cooling systems performance.

If the car's cooling fans don't kick on till 212F, and you're running a stock radiator, your cooling system will still get up to the temp that the fans kick on...it'll just take longer. (Unless it's winter).

All a tstat does is delay the inevitable. The only way to actually RUN a cooler coolant temp, is by upgrading your cooling system. That involves a new radiator, new tstat, , new coolant/water mix (like 60 water, 40% coolant) and modified fan controller.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
botchilah

Here at least a lot of different cars see improvement in cooling whenever the t-stat is upgraded to a lower temp opening one. I've seen it done countless times on Silvias, Evos and STI's that are driven ard which is why I thought of it. But you are correct, a system upgrade would be best (t-stat, radiator, fans and fan controller and higher quality coolant, coolant additive and a change in the coolant/water mix).

What is the factory coolant mix for BNEW cars specifically the Yaris?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
It does nothing to improve your cooling systems performance.
If the thermostat causes the fan to come on at a lower temperature, isn't that an improvement in the cooling systems performance?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Crossbow

Drives: 2008.5 Speed3, 2007 Yaris Lift
The thermostat doesn't control the fan. You have to upgrade all components to upgrade the cooling system...to maintain a lower coolant temp.

The cheapest and most effective cooling system upgrade, is usually modifying or replacing the fan controller in the vehicle, so that it engages at an earlier time. (besides of course, the easy change in water/coolant mix. Water cools better then coolant, so a higher concentration of water vs coolant, will net you a cooling increase. Be wary of higher mixtures in the snow belt however. Most people can run 60% water, 40% coolant safely.)

I think people get all crazy about the thermostats, because that kinda of stuff used to be effective back in the 60's and 70's. Though it can work with newer cars, it will only lower the car's overall cooling system temp, if the cooling system is capable of maintaining that temp.

If your vehicles cooling fan doesn't kick on till 212F...your coolant will eventually reach 212F (if you're in traffic, or sitting in a staging lane), regardless of the tstat you're running.

Last edited by Crossbow; 05-09-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
botchilah

does anyone have a picture of the actual TRD T-stat vs the OEM Yaris t-stat? Need it to check something, for my Supra in fact hehehehe thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
most autopart stores keep several temperature thermostats for most cars.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Last I knew, Jerkratt had the TRD T-stat for his car.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
Beating the car to death at the Streets of Willow (pretty much 90% of the lap at or above 5600 rpm)and the Auto Club Speedway Roval (pretty much the entire lap taken at full throttle) I never saw water temps above 190 degrees F, and never saw the oil temp above 109 degrees C.

I'd spend the money on a SSK or put it towards a rear swaybar
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote