Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 01:24 AM   #1
remcafee
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 32
Intermittent airbag light problem.

DTC: B1625 I have this problem of airbag light coming on about once a week when I start the vehicle, then when I go to shut I off and start back up it goes away, I tried cleaning electrical connectors, I tried swapping the driver side airbag sensor with the passenger and still code will come back for passenger side. I am slowly losing my mind, someone please help me! Do I need to check for shorted wiring?
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
alanwagen
 
Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 153
recalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcafee View Post
DTC: B1625 I have this problem of airbag light coming on about once a week when I start the vehicle, then when I go to shut I off and start back up it goes away, I tried cleaning electrical connectors, I tried swapping the driver side airbag sensor with the passenger and still code will come back for passenger side. I am slowly losing my mind, someone please help me! Do I need to check for shorted wiring?

Did you do your recalls? They are absolutely free. See below.
NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls

Recall Number
14V168000
Recall Date
04/09/2014
Component
AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE
Summary

Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006-2008 RAV4, 2006-2010 Yaris, 2008-2010 Highlander, and 2009-2010 Tacoma, Corolla, Corolla Matrix and General Motors Pontiac Vibe vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the steering column assembly contains electrical connections to the driver's airbag module housed in a spiral cable assembly, which includes a Flexible Flat Cable (FFC). Due to the shape and location of the FFC's retainer, the FFC could become damaged when the steering wheel is turned.
Consequence

If the FFC is damaged, connectivity to the driver's air bag module could be lost and the air bag deactivated. The failure of the driver's air bag to deploy in the event of a crash that typically necessitates deployment increases the risk of injury to the driver.
What Owners Should Do

Toyota will notify the Toyota vehicle owners, and General Motors will notify the Pontiac Vibe owners. Toyota sent owners an interim notification letter in May 2014 to advise owners of the recall. Toyota will mail owners a second letter when remedy parts are available. General Motors sent Pontiac Vibe owners an Interim letter on June 20, 2014 notifying them that parts are currently unavailable. General Motors sent notices to the Pontiac Vibe owners on September 15, 2014, that a remedy is available. The recall began on October 27, 2014. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-762-2737.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:59 AM   #3
remcafee
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
Did you do your recalls? They are absolutely free. See below.
NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls

Recall Number
14V168000
Recall Date
04/09/2014
Component
AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:DRIVER SIDE INFLATOR MODULE
Summary

Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006-2008 RAV4, 2006-2010 Yaris, 2008-2010 Highlander, and 2009-2010 Tacoma, Corolla, Corolla Matrix and General Motors Pontiac Vibe vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the steering column assembly contains electrical connections to the driver's airbag module housed in a spiral cable assembly, which includes a Flexible Flat Cable (FFC). Due to the shape and location of the FFC's retainer, the FFC could become damaged when the steering wheel is turned.
Consequence

If the FFC is damaged, connectivity to the driver's air bag module could be lost and the air bag deactivated. The failure of the driver's air bag to deploy in the event of a crash that typically necessitates deployment increases the risk of injury to the driver.
What Owners Should Do

Toyota will notify the Toyota vehicle owners, and General Motors will notify the Pontiac Vibe owners. Toyota sent owners an interim notification letter in May 2014 to advise owners of the recall. Toyota will mail owners a second letter when remedy parts are available. General Motors sent Pontiac Vibe owners an Interim letter on June 20, 2014 notifying them that parts are currently unavailable. General Motors sent notices to the Pontiac Vibe owners on September 15, 2014, that a remedy is available. The recall began on October 27, 2014. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Owners may contact General Motors at 1-800-762-2737.
Yes I have, it is not related to recalls, it is a different problem separate from the recalls. I have no clue what to do at this point other than replace my wiring harness.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:15 AM   #4
zoidberg444
 
zoidberg444's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 359
If you plugged another sensor in and it still threw a circuit code it indicates the problem isn't with the sensor but with the wiring or internal to the airbag module. I can't say I've ever messed with an airbag system before. I would guess it's only safe to check the wires for continuity with the battery disconnected because of the risk of you sending a signal which triggers the airbag. I would wonder if the wires have rubbed through somewhere between the sensor and the cable grommet through the bulkhead. It might not be necessary to replace the harness. If you can find where the break is you could repair it with one of those solder shrink connectors.
__________________
- Yaris 2006, 1.0, 5 door hatchback "Betty" - 180,000 miles
UK to Nordkapp in a Yaris
zoidberg444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
BLH
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 224
The 2007 service manuals. Indicate the SRS system has a back up power source.
When you work on it. Allow at least 90 seconds after the ignition is turned off and the battery negative is disconnected. Before doing any work on the system or it is possible the air bag may deploy accidentally.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:15 AM   #6
zoidberg444
 
zoidberg444's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 359
I would leave 10 minutes once the power has been disconnected on any airbag system.
__________________
- Yaris 2006, 1.0, 5 door hatchback "Betty" - 180,000 miles
UK to Nordkapp in a Yaris
zoidberg444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
seatech30
 
Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Posts: 85
I've been noticing my airbag light randomly turn on while driving. If I turn the car off, and back on, it goes away too. Mine doesn't seem to generate a code though, I ran a scan with Bluetooth ODBII and torque, and didn't show anything. Wonder if it's the LED wiring grabbing power somehow. I saw it come on after a semi hard brake on a downhill slope.
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..
 
Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatech30 View Post
I've been noticing my airbag light randomly turn on while driving. If I turn the car off, and back on, it goes away too. Mine doesn't seem to generate a code though, I ran a scan with Bluetooth ODBII and torque, and didn't show anything. Wonder if it's the LED wiring grabbing power somehow. I saw it come on after a semi hard brake on a downhill slope.
I'm not sure that the torque app can read airbag codes.
I was under the impression you needed expensive equipment to fetch those codes...although I could be wrong
__________________
No one suspects the Yaris.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
seatech30
 
Drives: Yaris 2008 Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I'm not sure that the torque app can read airbag codes.
I was under the impression you needed expensive equipment to fetch those codes...although I could be wrong
I'll have to swing by an oreillys next time it's lit and someone is with me. Can leave my car on by itself where I live...

PS. I took the car in and asked about recalls when I first got it. They told me all recalls had been done, unless they were lying (wouldn't put it past them,) it must be something else.
seatech30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
remcafee
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
If you plugged another sensor in and it still threw a circuit code it indicates the problem isn't with the sensor but with the wiring or internal to the airbag module. I can't say I've ever messed with an airbag system before. I would guess it's only safe to check the wires for continuity with the battery disconnected because of the risk of you sending a signal which triggers the airbag. I would wonder if the wires have rubbed through somewhere between the sensor and the cable grommet through the bulkhead. It might not be necessary to replace the harness. If you can find where the break is you could repair it with one of those solder shrink connectors.
Ok so I have been digging in a little deeper, I have done a thorough inspection of the sea under the seats, I unplugged ever single connector, sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner and plugged them all back in, only time will tell if that helps solve the problem, we shall see and Iíll let you all know.
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me 3rd gen 2015 model b1806 code srs airbag light Hassannazir314 Third Gen Yaris General Discussion 7 09-22-2017 04:55 PM
2008 Yaris No airbag light at all rudycoop DIY / Maintenance / Service 6 09-15-2017 10:22 PM
2009 Yaris airbag light staying on #30 DIY / Maintenance / Service 7 08-27-2015 05:57 AM
Passenger airbag light on making turn signals and cabin fan not blowing? thatbryanguy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 16 04-02-2012 08:42 PM
Airbag light is on Taiyaki DIY / Maintenance / Service 4 05-26-2009 08:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.