Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Learning Manual Techniques

Hello Everyone,

I've finally feel like I've gotten the clutch basics down. Specially now, with my short shifter.

I feel that I lack expertise in many areas, though.

There are points in which I'm in traffic, already moving at a slow speed, and if I place the car into second gear it's relatively slow at about 1 rpm. But, if a place the car into first gear I get small launch which doesn't look good at all.

Also, my downshiting is horrible. I never downshift into first. But going from any other gears down I give a small jab to the gas release the clutch and it doesn't feel smooth at all (I get a small jump from the car).

Finally, I would like to ask, is my Yaris the only one which feels extremely inconsistent on the first and sometimes second gear, usually on a cold star. For example, if I'm in first gear and press lightly on the gas I get some jerking motion.

Please share your experiences with me.
This contributes to me making a good arrival at car meets too.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
First gear is a jerky gear .. just the way it is. You have to be going really slow .. like less than 20 km/h (12 MPH) to put it in 1st gear, at least the way that I drive my Yaris.

I initially had problems stalling my Yaris but I have gotten pretty good at it now .. but considering that I have been driving a standard for 30 years, it was a little difficult for me.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Also, if you have a driver side floor mat try taking it out for a couple of days and see if things are smoother for you overall (full clutch engagement is easier....depending on the specific mat...when the mat has been removed).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Also, if you have a driver side floor mat try taking it out for a couple of days and see if things are smoother for you overall (full clutch engagement is easier....depending on the specific mat...when the mat has been removed).
Someone actually told me to try this when I was starting. It actually helped a lot. But now my main focus is downshifting and first gear.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
Someone actually told me to try this when I was starting. It actually helped a lot. But now my main focus is downshifting and first gear.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Are you trying to go thru all the gears while slowing down? I when slowing down, I normally just hold the clutch in while braking til I feel that I am about to speed up or need to keep the speed. I then put it into the gear I feel is necessary for the situation.

While you are doing this. Try rev matching. Getting the RPM's the same as the gear you would be in at that particular speed. At lower RPM's there is less jerking, but when at higher RPM's, you wanna get as close as possible to rev matching because you will definitely feel the jerk then.

Not for everyone.. It's the way I usually drive. Just sharing my experiences
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
One problem the Yaris with its throttle comtrolled by wire instead of a cable has is: transitions from idle to slow movement are herky jerky.

Now myself, an experienced manual transmission operator, could probably compensate.Im already compensating in my auto trans Yaris. To eliminate the jerk on acceleration from stand still, I let the car roll while idleing, then apply the gas.

It smooths things out.

I have to believe the same princible applies to manual shifting transmissions. I suspect if you are not in a hurry to accelerate it would help.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i never put it in 1st in traffic. You don't really need alot of power to go through traffic anyways, so 2nd gear start from a rolling traffic is perfectly good. I only ever get into 1st when i'm below 1k RPM.

Some people downshift, and very slowly take their foot off the clutch.. allowing engine to rev match by itself. I think this is wrong and will cause premature wear on the clutch.

There are plenty of videos on youtube that teaches you how to rev match on a downshift.

here is one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzmW5upO4sI
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I when slowing down, I normally just hold the clutch in while braking til I feel that I am about to speed up or need to keep the speed. I then put it into the gear I feel is necessary for the situation.
I'm doing so as well, also because I don't have to slow down the motor's rotatory mass.
Because of the throttle's delay, I would even have to fight the rest of the engine's urge to hold it's velocity.
Doesn't feel good to hurt your beloved car

I got some criticism from a quite experienced driver (daily driver with 2*50km, no accidents over the last decades), however I feel more comfortable driving like this, also because slowing down is quite easier and faster.

I have to admit that I don't really mind rev matching (of course I don't let it jump for 1k rpm or more, it's rather 500 rpm).
I had to do it precisely with the 190D I used to drive (not sold of course :P ), otherwise it would shake heavily, but my 1l gas engine has far less rotatory mass, so it gives me just a small hop ;)
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote