Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #1
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
impact gun

will a smaller impact gun work with my smaller pancake compressor,porter cable,???
i mean for auto stuff..like axle nuts etc...
what gun would you recommend on Amazon??
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Not very well, those compressors don't have enough air capacity to run impacts.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have an electric impact gun from HArbour freight. $50 and it works great!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
yes it'll work in short applications. You'll just need to let it recharge often, or add an auxiliary air tank plugged into the pancake to add capacity. Just make sure it's rated to the max output PSI.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Better off to get an electric impact. Even with an aux tank you'll never get anywhere near the same torque an electric impact will have. Those pancake compressors don't go high enough psi.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Better off to get an electric impact. Even with an aux tank you'll never get anywhere near the same torque an electric impact will have. Those pancake compressors don't go high enough psi.
my friend's is rated at 150psi. Most guns are only rated at 90 PSI.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
yes it'll work in short applications. You'll just need to let it recharge often, or add an auxiliary air tank plugged into the pancake to add capacity. Just make sure it's rated to the max output PSI.
Its AC so it works a long time. I used it to torque the eight over one inch lug nuts per wheel on a used 86 Ford Diesel pickup I bought.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
Rigaud

Quote:
my friend's is rated at 150psi. Most guns are only rated at 90 PSI.
To each his own. Unless you have a huge reserve and can be replenished fast your not getting the full use of it. The 90 psi rating is for torque specs and cfm required provided it stays at 90 psi or more.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
I love my Ryobi 18v+ Impact. I used it to completely remove and tear down my 2000 tundra rearend. Worked like a champ.

As a side note, I love all the ryobi 18v+ tools. I have four of the big lithium packs, and they make it real nice.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #10
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Buy a second compressor and tee them together for better performance without breaking the bank. Not great performance, just better. Yes, they'll "fight" a bit, but this isn't for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week in a garage---you'll be fine.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
Buy a second compressor and tee them together for better performance without breaking the bank. Not great performance, just better. Yes, they'll "fight" a bit, but this isn't for 8 hours a day, 6 days a week in a garage---you'll be fine.
Just buy an electric impact. They are cheap and I can guarantee you it will be one of the best tool investments you will ever make.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
I love my electric impact gun as well, but buy the biggest one you can get. The smaller, cheaper ones are only good for removing wheels.

The trouble is the big ones don't *fit* in the places an air impact would fit. If I have to use the wobble joint with the impact wrench, it's just not helping. :( It's those times a cobbled together solution for an air impact wrench is pretty satisfying. :)

But they do still have their uses. Mine is about to go to the dump in favour of a replacement with brushes that aren't being held in place with electrical tape. :P
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Rigaud

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
I love my electric impact gun as well, but buy the biggest one you can get. The smaller, cheaper ones are only good for removing wheels.

The trouble is the big ones don't *fit* in the places an air impact would fit. If I have to use the wobble joint with the impact wrench, it's just not helping. :( It's those times a cobbled together solution for an air impact wrench is pretty satisfying. :)

But they do still have their uses. Mine is about to go to the dump in favour of a replacement with brushes that aren't being held in place with electrical tape. :P
Breaker bar then impact! For tight bolts

Old 09-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

I have all Makita 18V tools so I got myself the small ½" impact gun. Best investment I ever made for working on the car or anything with fasteners. With that said, it does not have mega bolt snapping power of my air gun. And even if I have to use my air gun on an axle or crank bolt (usually the two hardest to remove bolts on a car) my tiny 1hp ½ gallon compressor that only goes to 110 psi is enough to get the job done.

I've found that the biggest restrictions in any compressor system is the regulator. Even when maxed, it will limit flow because they're usually fed by a ¼" line. A bypass to get full unrestricted flow out of the tank will make night and day performance difference out of any air tool.

I speak from experience.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Old 09-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
Rigaud

Quote:
I have all Makita 18V tools so I got myself the small ½" impact gun. Best investment I ever made for working on the car or anything with fasteners. With that said, it does not have mega bolt snapping power of my air gun. And even if I have to use my air gun on an axle or crank bolt (usually the two hardest to remove bolts on a car) my tiny 1hp ½ gallon compressor that only goes to 110 psi is enough to get the job done.

I've found that the biggest restrictions in any compressor system is the regulator. Even when maxed, it will limit flow because they're usually fed by a ¼" line. A bypass to get full unrestricted flow out of the tank will make night and day performance difference out of any air tool.

I speak from experience.

Sent from my iPod Touch

Old 09-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #16
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Keep in mind a lot of impact guns get pretty weak at lower PSI. The IR 2135TI work well though (and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good gun).
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #17
Lux

Drives: NCP91
For a good, professional grade impact wrench, I use Mac Tools AW612Q. It's quite powerful, but unusually quiet and lightweight. The moulded pistol grip is very comfortable and it uses a clutch instead of twin hammer, so it is low vibration to the hand. I like it so much that I bought three of them! One was recently permanently damaged: flooded with water in the air lines. I can sell you one of them if you want.

Where there is sufficient supply of air, I also use a Snap-on MG725 as a backup. This thing is completely unreal... The lowest power setting will outshoot almost every other mechanics' gun on maximum blast. On high power, it will peak at 1'600 Nm (1'200 lbft) of breakaway torque.

For cordless impact wrench, I have an 18-volt Snap-on CT7850. Good power, good balance, consistent performance per battery charge. My only gripes are that it's over a kilogram heavier than an air-powered equivalent and that it is rather long. Shoots just as strong as high-end, professional grade pneumatic impact wrenches; it will give your wrist one hell of a twist. I very rarely use it, so if you are interested, I might sell it for around CAD$400 (USD$300) with the protective boot, both batteries, and charger base with USB phone charger built in.

Most of the cheaper cordless impact wrenches are a waste of time... They are either made for the wrong trade (carpentry) or outright poorly made.

However, even with all the capability that high-end cordless tools can provide, I still strongly suggest that you invest in pneumatic configuration. Get any hobby-sized air compressor. The reason for it is that you can run any other power tool on air: air ratchet, blow gun, die grinder, cut-off wheel, diagnostic tools, etc. Good luck with finding something useful that can plug into 18-volt batteries. If you do your automotive repairs at home, then air is the only way to go. Cordless are for when you're on the road either for leisure (flat tyre on road trip) or to make money fixing other cars.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote