Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #1
Toolaholic

Drives: Olive yaris,FRS, Dakota R/T
Amsopil transmission fluid two thumbs up!

Hi all, I changed my yaris transmission fluid back in april 28 at 47,883. Old fluid had a deep purple color. I put 2 quarts and 20 oz of toyota ws in. Toyota ws was about 7.69 at my dealer. Then I got another 10% off w/ my rewards card. Yaris shifted better. Then at 55,118 in october I drained fluid again(still purple but not as dark as before) and used the amsoil ws compatiable fluid i got for around $10.50 a quart at the local hardware store. I used 2 quarts of amsoil and 20 ounces of toyota W/S. You can barely feel yaris shift. It is as smooth as can be. Either its the amsoil or my 2nd change that did it. I torqued drain plug to 30lb ft of torque. Figured if the oil drain plugs are torqued to 29lb ft;30 would work for transmission. I plan on dropping pan at 100K and changing filter and pan gasket. Then I will use 2 quarts amsoil and 1 quart 20 oz of toyota WS fluid. I dont want all amsoil. I want some toyota WS in the mix. the 20 ounces is close to the .6 of a quart. Yaris manual states 2.6 quarts to fill after drain. 2 quarts 20 ounces is very close. Toyota spec is on the money as my dipstick showed the fluid in between the notches. And for whatever reason the amsoil fluid has a very strong odor. Pour slowly into funnel. If you pour to fast tranny fluid can back up in dipstick tube and run out.

Last edited by Toolaholic; 11-08-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
lenzomaru

Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolaholic View Post
Hi all, I changed my yaris transmission fluid back in april 28 at 47,883. Old fluid had a deep purple color. I put 2 quarts and 20 oz of toyota ws in. Toyota ws was about 7.69 at my dealer. Then I got another 10% off w/ my rewards card. Yaris shifted better. Then at 55,118 in october I drained fluid again(still purple but not as dark as before) and used the amsoil ws compatible fluid i got for around $10.50 a quart at the local hardware store. I used 2 quarts of amsoil and 20 ounces of toyota W/S. You can barely feel yaris shift. It is as smooth as can be. Either its the amsoil or my 2nd change that did it. I torqued drain plug to 30lb ft of torque. Figured if the oil drain plugs are torqued to 29lb ft;30 would work for transmission. I plan on dropping pan at 100K and changing filter and pan gasket. Then I will use 2 quarts amsoil and 1 quart 20 oz of toyota WS fluid. I don't want all amsoil. I want some toyota WS in the mix. the 20 ounces is close to the .6 of a quart. Yaris manual states 2.6 quarts to fill after drain. 2 quarts 20 ounces is very close. Toyota spec is on the money as my dipstick showed the fluid in between the notches. And for whatever reason the amsoil fluid has a very strong odor. Pour slowly into funnel. If you pour to fast tranny fluid can back up in dipstick tube and run out.

So does that mean that the deep purple colour is an indicator of a need to change?

The manual i have for my 07 yaris says to check the a/t oil at 100,000km then at 50,000km intervals after that, they treat it as a lifetime fluid, the problem is i am not sure how to tell when the a/t oil needs changing. I am currently at 42,000km. P.S. I don't have amsoil available where i live, can you recommend any other brands that can be used?
Old 09-11-2015, 02:08 AM   #4
Toolaholic

Drives: Olive yaris,FRS, Dakota R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzomaru View Post
So does that mean that the deep purple colour is an indicator of a need to change?

The manual i have for my 07 yaris says to check the a/t oil at 100,000km then at 50,000km intervals after that, they treat it as a lifetime fluid, the problem is i am not sure how to tell when the a/t oil needs changing. I am currently at 42,000km. P.S. I don't have amsoil available where i live, can you recommend any other brands that can be used?
Toyota w/s fluid. Amsoil meets the spec. Not sure what other brands meet toyotas spec. I believe the fluid turns purple pretty fast and is not a indicator that fluid needs changed. Sorry for late reply.
Toolaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #5
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
WS fluid is plenty good for 100k, in normal conditions. No need to change at all. Keep in mind there is no true tranmission filter in there that needs changed. More so just a metal cartridge with a screen, not a traditional filter. We never touch them at our Toyota dealership.

As a side note, I would never put anything other then true WS in there. We have seen to many vehicles ruined in the long run by compatible fluids. Not that I think you will have issues, I just wouldn't do it.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Toyota Canada recommends changing the automatic transmission fluid every 96,000 kilometres. Just a drain and refill. According to the service guy this is due to our "cold" weather. I get the fluid from Toyota and do it myself.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote