Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2023, 07:59 PM   #1
Aegeus

Drives: 2012 Base Sedan
CV axle c-clip not engaging

Install of cv axle driver side after reboot and replacement of oil seal.

The axle seems to go in all the way. The frontal aspect of the oil seal is now impressed or dented by the forward edge of the axle’s dust cover. Neither the new or used c-clip appear to engage. The axle can always be pulled out pretty easily. An unidentified square steel bar, about 10mm wide, extends on a figurative clock, from about 1:30 to 7:30, within the transmission, beyond a meaningful gap. The gap begins at the point where the lands/grooves engaged by the axle end. After multiple attempts at seating the axle, nominal scratches, a pair of arcs, now appear on the bar. The marks appear to correspond to the end of the axle. So it seems the axle can go in as far as it will go, and that it has.

I’d appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

Thank you for reading.
Aegeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:31 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
One time, a few years back, some members and I were doing a suspension swap. I remember that if we allowed everything to hang slack once the strut assembly was removed, the axle would just fall out.
Old 08-12-2023, 08:32 AM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
The bar you're talking about is the carrier cross pin. Not easily removed and not necessary either. I'm not sure why the clip isn't engaging or is it enough and you think it's not.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:10 PM   #4
Aegeus

Yes, everything is slack. I have been engaged in replacing the front end, brakes, and odds and ends like engine mounts. And painting rusty parts with high temp paint or POR-15. The thing to do here, then, is to put everything back and see what happens. Its often the case an effect exists, which may include the loose axle wee yari describes, even if we can't see why. The effect exists, may be able to resolve it without knowing why.

Also, the identification of the bar as the cross carrier pin by ex-x-fire. Now I can figure out what it does and see if maybe something like the axle cup holding the bearings is set back too far, or suchlike. Maybe I missed something. If the axle is never supposed to come close to that pin I might learn something there.

I'll write up what happens, there's good reason for it. I've been lucky. I might have damaged that pin if I had pounded harder or used a heavy hammer.

Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:54 AM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
What this video. The carrier and cross pin part is at around 14:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=JGbsgpp2YJQ
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 12:27 AM   #6
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Do you have any pictures?
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:24 PM   #7
Aegeus

Follow up to CV axle c-clip not engaging

It appears to me to be the case that when the engine is lowered to some degree, the cv axle comes out rather easily. I raised the engine and rebolted the motor mounts, and the cv axle seemed completely normal. I have since driven some miles and there are no known issues.

This strongly implies that when cv axles on these cars are frustratingly difficult to remove, lowering the engine a bit might be a valid option, one that may be superior to special tools or some of the more exotic DIY methods.

cclip

Thank you very much.

Tags
c-clip, cv axle