Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Thumbs up Ronald Reagan's first inaugural address

Hmmmmm Is there a lesson here?

"It is no coincidence that our present troubles parallel and are proportionate to the intervention and intrusion in our lives that result from unnecessary and excessive growth of government. It is time for us to realize that we're too great a nation to limit ourselves to small dreams. We're not, as some would have us believe, doomed to an inevitable decline. I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing. So, with all the creative energy at our command, let us begin an era of national renewal. Let us renew our determination, our courage, and our strength. And let us renew our faith and our hope." -- Ronald Reagan's first inaugural address on Jan. 20, 1981.
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
One that will fall on the deaf ears of all that support Obama. Although Obama himself sems to realize the things he said he can't actually do.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I think Obama will do a good job, but he'll accomplish less than half of what he said he would. Time will tell, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
One that will fall on the deaf ears of all that support Obama. Although Obama himself sems to realize the things he said he can't actually do.
I saw him state it to Geroge Stephanopoulos the other day and laughed in my head. It went something like this, "Look (long 5 second pause), um (filler), I realize (long 5 second pause), um (filler).....and so on
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
dlinkwit27

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
oh republicans. They want government just small enough to fit in the bedroom.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinkwit27 View Post
oh republicans. They want government just small enough to fit in the bedroom.
"I will not engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed"

Can't remember who said it, but it fits the quote above. Last time this thread got really nasty (Old "McCain takes the lead" thread) and I don't want to involve myself this time. In the words of the great American who said "Can't we all just get along?- Rodney King(paraphrased)
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobselectric View Post

Can't remember who said it, but it fits the quote above. Last time this thread got really nasty (Old "McCain takes the lead" thread) and I don't want to involve myself this time. In the words of the great American who said "Can't we all just get along?- Rodney King(paraphrased)
aww someone remembers my thread, lol. My work is done. Well said, Bob. Hopefully we can keep this one going and not have a pissing match
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
You people crack me up.

Of course he isn't going to do half of what he said he is going to do. Running for president is about instilling optimism in people. Name one president that won on a platform of staunch realism. The American public won't vote for the man who tells it like it is. They vote for the man who tells it how it ought to be. Now that he did what he needed to do to win, I seriously doubt you will see any sweeping legislation from his end of things in his first term, at least when it comes to domestic programs. There will be bailout money for the states to spend on infrastructure projects and some tax incentives and that is about it. Terrorism, Israelis on the rampage, NAFTA, CAFTA, WTFTA... all plenty to keep him busy. You'll see the government get larger and become more invasive in the business of the private sector, and at the end of it all hopefully the dow has gone up. Actually, the dow is like Barack's score in the game of life. Just watch it.

And lastly, God forbid we get attacked again. That is the wild card right now. We rallied behind the first president that went through something like that. I doubt the next one is so lucky.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I viewed Reagan casket at his library before he was buried. I got to the college parking lot at about 4 pm and stood in line for over 10 hours with no food or water. I did go to the restroom once. They took groups by bus up to the library and you were allowed to walk around the casket and out. They gave everyone a thank you card which I have framed. After an hour drive I got home at 4:30 am. It is something I will remember.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
fat like reflexes

Drives: 07 manual liftback
didn't federal spending increase under reagan, leading to then record deficits (as opposed to the now record deficits incurred under our latest big government republican administration?) that's why i voted for barr, even though he had no chance.
fat like reflexes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Opened up a new can of worms did'nt you Bob? I loved Ronny Ray Gun.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #12
PaidTimeOff
OMGWTFKITTYKATMEWMEWMEW

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobselectric View Post

You say you don't want to get in an argument, but you're essentially putting down the person whom you quoted with your own quote. I'm just sayin'...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Either you are saying that despite Reagan's speech writer's words of hope and courage things can still go to hell (as they did with 'ol Ronny) or that - in so many words - his speech writer's message is/was no different than Obama's.

So which is it?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Either you are saying that despite Reagan's speech writer's words of hope and courage things can still go to hell (as they did with 'ol Ronny) or that - in so many words - his speech writer's message is/was no different than Obama's.

So which is it?
Don't want to argue about it- in my opinion President Reagan gave Americans pride in their country again- after the Carter fiasco, Gerald Fords "no win situation", and Nixon's abbreviated second term. This country, like it or not, is the Frank Sinatra of the world- the most loved, hated, respected, feared, generous, compassionate, demonized, and lionized nation on earth. We openly broadcast our failures, scandals, and dirty laundry as well as being the first to lend anyone a helping hand. We welcome all persons, regardless of economics or social standing and give all the opportunity to succeed. There is far more opportunity in this country for anyone than in any other country on the face of the earth.
The difference between President Reagan and President-Elect Obama is that Reagan crafted his "message" from long term experience- as president of the SAG and Governor of the state of California. He entered his Presidency with a core of values that were his own- not a conglomerate of focus groups and public opinion. When the going got tough his convictions didn't waver.
As far as I have seen, President-Elect Obama has already wavered on his foreign policy (He has backed off his pledge to meet with Achmenijad (sp?) and Kim Il Jong unconditionally)and on his pledge to bring a fresh face to government (the appointment of most of the Clinton gov't to positions in his).
Time will tell if President-Elect Obama is to be a great president. You cannot realistically anoint him before he has taken office.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

Nor can you realistically demonize him before he has taken office.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidTimeOff View Post
You say you don't want to get in an argument, but you're essentially putting down the person whom you quoted with your own quote. I'm just sayin'...
I'm not arguing. The view of the long term picture can only be gained with experience. If you cannot accept the fact that as an orator, President Reagan was one of the most gifted and recognized presidents of this century, then you cannot step outside the box and view things objectively.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Nor can you realistically demonize him before he has taken office.
Not demonizing him- just taking a wait and see attitude before I lionize him
Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
ChinoCharles
Banned

You gave Ronald Reagan credit for heading up the SAG and becoming governor of California, but give Obama no credit from having two degrees from two of the best schools in the country. Instead, he is somehow inexperienced. I'm not singling you out. Most take this approach. I'm just saying it makes no sense to me whatsoever.