Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #19
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The "sensitivity" ring is just a potentiometer connected to pins 7 and 8, so you could use that in place of the pot on your board. It goes from 0 to 3.2K ohms.
I like that idea. But with only 0-3.2K ohms, you might need something to multiply the resistance up to around 100K or so?
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #20
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
Well, I know if the "ON" pulse isn't long enough, the motor will stick. Looking at your schematic, R4 and C2 control your "ON" pulse. The equation for time is:
T(on)=0.7*R*C
R4=10K ohms, C2=100uF=0.0001F
T(on)=0.7*10,000*0.0001
T(on)=0.7 sec

The only think I can think of is replacing R4 with a resistor around 14.7K or 15K. That would give about 1 second. Or just try that equation out and see.
Hey lil'abner, thanks for your suggestions. I actually tried using both the module and simulated ON pulses by hand (shorting the wires with different delays) and the wiper arm position remained in odd positions whenever I interrupted the connection.

Quote:
So you got the EWD for that switch? I'd hope it's simple, like you're saying, to just supply a ground and/or positive to one or all of those 3 little pins on the larger plug!
No, lol. I was looking at the EWD of the OEM wiper switch.

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:
+S is the feedback from the cam switch, which tells the circuit in the stalk when it is OK to drop power and have the wiper land in the correct place. You can try connecting pin 2 to pin 3, which is what happens when you tap the stalk for mist mode.
When I tried this (i.e. short blue and blk wires), it seemed to work at first and wiper did "park" but after trying it a couple of times I began to notice that the jump wires I was using got very hot then everything died. I had to replace two fuses, I blew fuses #3 (WIP, 25A) and #15 (AM1, 25A). I don't think I'm going to try that again, lol.

Quote:
On another note, I got the Lexus EWDs last night and have bad news about your stalk. The RX330 with the "rain-sensing wipers" has an ECU that takes the sensor input and controls the wipers. It takes the place of the circuit that is built into our OEM stalk or the Prius, etc. ones with the intermittent fronts. This means that your stalk alone will not do the intermittent thing. You would either need the Auto Wiper ECU, or could use the Lexus stalk and use the auto position for your module. The "sensitivity" ring is just a potentiometer connected to pins 7 and 8, so you could use that in place of the pot on your board. It goes from 0 to 3.2K ohms.
Thanks for looking into it Scott and going through the EWD for me. At any rate the eBay seller offered a refund the cost of the stalk and I'll be shipping it back shortly.

I googled "rain-sensing wipers" and came accross this site and I might just try it. It is listed as compatible with the Yaris.

Rain Tracker

Yaris Hot Side Switching

Rain Tracker Wiring Diagram

Perhaps this could be a better option than getting the intermittent stalk?

-toy

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps

Last edited by toy_toronto; 07-29-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
When I tried this (i.e. short blue and blk wires), it seemed to work at first and wiper did "park" but after trying it a couple of times I began to notice that the jump wires I was using got very hot then everything died. I had to replace two fuses, I blew fuses #3 (WIP, 25A) and #15 (AM1, 25A). I don't think I'm going to try that again, lol.

Thanks for looking into it Scott and going through the EWD for me. At any rate the eBay seller offered a refund the cost of the stalk and I'll be shipping it back shortly.

I googled "rain-sensing wipers" and came accross this site and I might just try it. It is listed as compatible with the Yaris.

Rain Tracker

Yaris Hot Side Switching

-toy
Before I found the EWD, I found a lot of people discussing how to disable the rain sensing function and switch the Lexus ones to normal intermittent.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #23
JoeSimons
I've made a post!

Drives: None
Thanks your share!I need these things!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #24
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:

Rain Tracker
Yaris Hot Side Switching

I went ahead and ordered the sensor due to lack of (cheap) Prius stalks on eBay.

Pretty impressed with the sensor control system so far --I'll post up a short youtube demo shortly.

Edit: YT clip here. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35960

-toy

Last edited by toy_toronto; 08-15-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #25
vdubs4ever

Drives: Red '08 3 Door
Quote:
Here is where I mounted the delay timer module on the dash (mounted without a knob)
-toy
Where did you get the knob, going to do this mod, but I want an knob that looks factory
Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #26
toy_toronto
always toyin'

I got it from mouser.

Lots of choices:

http://ca.mouser.com/_/?Keyword=knobs&FS=True

-toy

Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #27
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
wow I want the adjustable speed intermittent rear wiper too. You guys are so smart!
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #28
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Sure would be nice if someone would use pictures and language that actually shows how to install the switch that anyone can understand and not just advanced folks. I can follow directions that show wires in the colors that match the descriptions. Where the red wire and ground wires go etc. As it is I'm totally lost.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #29
KenYYJ

Drives: Yaris 2010
Quote:
I managed to do some more tests today, testing proof-of-concept to demonstrate such that the module can indeed send intermittent momentary pulse signals to the rear wiper motor and variable from 3 to 30 sec.

The actual wiper timer module I'm using is this: http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MXA041, and the best part is the price -- it only cost $8.95

The module shipped fully assembled and ready to hook up across the low speed circuit of our Yaris hatch rear wiper motor.

Here are some pics of the unit:

View of the connectors:

Bench Testing. When 12v is applied to the device and turned on, the COM and NO connections create an intermittent "short" every time the onboard relay coil is energized.

This momentary short could simply be applied to the rear wiper stalk switch that ultimately provides the desired delay interval.

Wiring it all up. I included as much detail as I could to the images below and hoping it explains in detail where I connected each of the wires to:

Here is where I mounted the delay timer module on the dash (mounted without a knob)

Knob that I bought seperately for a different/previous project:

Fully Mounted on Dash

...and there you have, a fully working intermittent rear wiper for the hatchback

-toy
Did you connect the 12V DC + to the grey wire on the ignition switch to power the MXA 041module?
KenYYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #30
toy_toronto
always toyin'

It's been a few years since I did the mod so I honestly can't remember which/what color wire I used.

You can pretty much choose any 12v source that is active only with key in the ignition. good luck

Old 06-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #31
ercdvs

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Going to bump up this old thread as I was using the exact module listed.

Is it possible to have it ONLY work with the 'low' rear wiper setting with a Prius stalk? It seems this is geared to just having the wiper on.

12v+ from pin 6
12v - to white / black ground (pin 3 using the pinout on page 1)
the com output to the blue wire (pin 7 )

Going the other way putting 12v+ from the stalk seems to want to run the relay all the time, which is not something I want to hear all the time.

Anybody have luck with this ? Can anyone also recommend the proper pin to fit that absurdly small socket on the harness for pin 6 ?
Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #32
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I've done this mod a couple years back with a Prius stalk too.

To answer your question, yes! It is possible. That's how I have it set-up on mine. The problem i ran into though is the pin for the rear wiper connector. I ended up paying $40+ for it because it's Toyota exclusive, and you can't seem to get anywhere else but the dealership.

You might have better luck finding it online though. I was in a bit of a rush, and never really bothered to check.

The part number is: 82998-24290. It's a direct fit for pin 6 of the connector.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #33
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
I've done this mod a couple years back with a Prius stalk too.

To answer your question, yes! It is possible. That's how I have it set-up on mine. The problem i ran into though is the pin for the rear wiper connector. I ended up paying $40+ for it because it's Toyota exclusive, and you can't seem to get anywhere else but the dealership.

You might have better luck finding it online though. I was in a bit of a rush, and never really bothered to check.

The part number is: 82998-24290. It's a direct fit for pin 6 of the connector.
I have the pins on hand if anyone needs them and I only charge $3 each for them.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #34
ercdvs

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
I have the pins on hand if anyone needs them and I only charge $3 each for them.

Just the absurd small ones or the 'normal' pins as well. i might as well do some proper wiring vs my inserts.

I'll send you a PM

invader166 would you mind posting how you wired this ? Was my description correct?
Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #35
invader166
Pumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercdvs View Post
Just the absurd small ones or the 'normal' pins as well. i might as well do some proper wiring vs my inserts.

I'll send you a PM

invader166 would you mind posting how you wired this ? Was my description correct?
You bet! I'll post how I did the wiring in the next few days or so. I'm currently away since I do travel a lot because of my job.

Generally speaking, the relay only comes on for 1/2 a second or so, to get the wiper moving. It will return to it's original position as a result of the eccentric cam profile of the motor. You do hear it click on and off when it operates.

I guess you can also make/buy an enclosure for it, to not have all the circuitry exposed, but it's completely up to you. I never really bothered with that, and ended up mounting underneath the steering column, hidden from view, but still able to access it to adjust the timing with relative ease.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #36
invader166
Pumpman

Alright! Finally had a chance to refresh my memory.

I only used 4 connections to wire up the delay unit:

12V+ ---> Black wire from front wipers connector.
12V- ---> Missing wire from rear wiper connector. (pin 6)
NO ---> White wire with black stripe on rear wiper connector. (or any other ground wire)
COM ---> Blue wire from rear wiper connector.

Should work as if it were originally fitted from the factory.