Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Your thoughts on the big 3 upgrades.

Well, i am doing a project a daihatsu charade and my cable from the alternator to the battery is shot. So will be doing the big 3 upgrade.Which consist of zero or 4 gauge cable from the alternator to the positive terminal, cable from the negative terminal to the chassis and to engine block. I've seen people do one cable to the starter.

Then there's the big 4 which is a negative ground from the alternator back to the negative terminal. Video as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82xRzCr-lc

Thoughts..
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
bairjo

I would just rig up a head phone jack and head phones....Great sound, very little cost. Not to mention, you will not be annoying the poor sap in the car next to you while you impose on his quite time in the car on his way home from a stressful day at work....just a thought
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
It's a good idea in general, but only go for the bigger guage wires if you have a high powered amp. Otherwise you're wasting your money.
4g wire can carry quite a lot of current over shorter runs.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
junorico24

The engine block Daihatsu 1.6 soch 16 valve.

The alternator wire (2 white wires) it's actually a splice one goes to the battery the other one heads to the ignition fuse or some shit, god knows where.The two are crimped at the end where it attaches to the alternator and it's crimped at the middle.The insulation is cut in the middle where the two are again crimped together and the exposed wire was covered in tape .The connector that went to the battery is busted so I cut it thinking i could solder another connector to it.But it's an extremely thick wire.

Last edited by junorico24; 03-06-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I would just rig up a head phone jack and head phones....Great sound, very little cost. Not to mention, you will not be annoying the poor sap in the car next to you while you impose on his quite time in the car on his way home from a stressful day at work....just a thought
You still need to pay attention to your surroundings - not the best idea to have headphones in your ears while driving. Also, it's his perogative to do what he wants to his car. Unless he or the other drive up next to each other, where the windows are open, they will hear/feel significantly less otherwise.

Anyways, Big 3 is a great idea. I constantly use to shock my car when I would be getting into it prior to installing them.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #6
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
You still need to pay attention to your surroundings - not the best idea to have headphones in your ears while driving. Also, it's his perogative to do what he wants to his car. Unless he or the other drive up next to each other, where the windows are open, they will hear/feel significantly less otherwise.

Anyways, Big 3 is a great idea. I constantly use to shock my car when I would be getting into it prior to installing them.
I wasn't questioning his prerogative to do what he wants to his car...I don't know why you stuck that in your post. He asked what we thought of the idea and I responded. It is that simple. No it is not the best idea to have head phones on, but it isn't the greatest idea to be blasting your ear drums out as well. The main point of my post was that the heads phones option was less money. Quite frankly, I figured since he got the bug to do this mod, he wouldn't go with the head phones anyhow.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Amps give a lot better sound in general, it's not just for loudness.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
Amps give a lot better sound in general, it's not just for loudness.
You definatley right on that, be it in your car or with the right home system...
Old 03-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
junorico24

Thanks for your replies ladies and gentleman.

I will keep you updated with the build.

It has upgrade brakes disc all round ( disc at the back and thick ventilated rotor at the front). Upgraded to bigger brake booster, upgrading to 1.6 soch from (1.3 soch) Upgraded seats and carpet.Upgrade mag wheels and not sure about the big 3/4 upgrade.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
junorico24

For your viewing pleasure Daihatsu is part owned by Toyota..

Last edited by junorico24; 03-06-2014 at 08:11 PM.