Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #217
hayden

Drives: asd
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Any bare metal under the dash will make a good ground.

The only potential issue with solid instead of stranded wire is flexibility. Solid wire can't be flexed too much or it will break.
I think I'm giving up. I guess I'm a god damned retard because apparently I cannot even make the wires connect. I reran ALL of the wire again, and the connection right at the D3 connector will be fine for 5 minutes, then with changing nothing, the connection will break. I'll check it at the ECM, it's fine, and then check it again at D3 and magically it's working again after changing nothing. And now even when there's a connection right before the D3 connector, moving the CC stalk no longer causes any changes in voltages, meaning there's now also a problem with the D3 connector or something between the D3 and the stalk.

Maybe I'll just put up a craigslist ad asking someone who isn't a retard to do it for me for $50 or something. Anyone in DFW want to make some easy money?
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #218
ejm
I've made a post!

Drives: '09 metallic blue
..anyone still selling the cheap OEM cruise control stalk & connector cable? for '09 yaris sedan?....I can only find the >$80 one's online, which is a bit over my budget!..any help appreciated!
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #219
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm View Post
..anyone still selling the cheap OEM cruise control stalk & connector cable? for '09 yaris sedan?....I can only find the >$80 one's online, which is a bit over my budget!..any help appreciated!
I still have a bunch that I sell for $40 with the wire and the mounting screws. I will PM you my paypal info.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #220
PROX4x4
1.5 or 2.5 both=0-60 in 8

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
I still have a bunch that I sell for $40 with the wire and the mounting screws. I will PM you my paypal info.
Scott,

Finished installing mine yesterday, it took 1 hour and works like a charm, thanks for the fast shipping, extra pins and the stalk was brand new.

One thing else I forgot to add was that the stalk already had the Horn wire in it, no need to rewire per the DIY notes available in this site.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #221
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROX4x4 View Post
Scott,

Finished installing mine yesterday, it took 1 hour and works like a charm, thanks for the fast shipping, extra pins and the stalk was brand new.

One thing else I forgot to add was that the stalk already had the Horn wire in it, no need to rewire per the DIY notes available in this site.
Exactly - I actually add the horn wire before I ship them to make it easier for people to install them.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #222
jimmypeach

Drives: 2010 Sedan
Cruise control done!

Got my stick today, ( fast shipping!!) installed it in 1/2 hr!!

Thanks Scott!!
jimmypeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #223
2mtech

Drives: 2011 Yaris S 3dr Bayou Blue
CTScott -

Have only been reading (a lot) since I got my '11 3Dr last week but took a quick interest in this thread. It's probably +47 or so, but thank you immensely for putting so much great info together!

Do you still have any of the CC clutch switches that will work on my ride?

TIA
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #224
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
CTScott -

Have only been reading (a lot) since I got my '11 3Dr last week but took a quick interest in this thread. It's probably +47 or so, but thank you immensely for putting so much great info together!

Do you still have any of the CC clutch switches that will work on my ride?

TIA

Yes. I try to keep all of the parts on hand, so I have stalks, clutch switches, and the pins required for pre-09 cars.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #225
2mtech

Quote:
Yes. I try to keep all of the parts on hand, so I have stalks, clutch switches, and the pins required for pre-09 cars.
Cool. If you would PM me your PayPal addy I'll be more than glad to make your parts inventory lighter and your balance heavier
Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #226
2mtech

Scott -

In looking to incorporate all four CC functions into one switch, it occurred to me that the power rearview mirror adjust switch is a four-way, MOM-MOM-MOM-MOM-OFF switch. What do you think of the possibility of using that switch for the CC functions? Do you have a spec of that switch (since you have everything else )? I don't have power mirrors so acquiring and using that switch would be ideal if it would work. I have no desire to mess with the airbag/steering wheel to install the stalk and haven't been able to locate a suitable aftermarket 4-way part.

As always, your input is eagerly awaited
Old 09-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #227
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Scott -

In looking to incorporate all four CC functions into one switch, it occurred to me that the power rearview mirror adjust switch is a four-way, MOM-MOM-MOM-MOM-OFF switch. What do you think of the possibility of using that switch for the CC functions? Do you have a spec of that switch (since you have everything else )? I don't have power mirrors so acquiring and using that switch would be ideal if it would work. I have no desire to mess with the airbag/steering wheel to install the stalk and haven't been able to locate a suitable aftermarket 4-way part.

As always, your input is eagerly awaited

The power mirror switch has an internal PCB that handles switching the four functions between the two sides. You would have to gut one to see if that switch is actually usable. Someone else on here found a nice little joystick type switch.

By the way, those power mirror switches typically sell for more than my $40 price tag for the OEM stalk.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #228
2mtech

Quote:
The power mirror switch has an internal PCB that handles switching the four functions between the two sides. You would have to gut one to see if that switch is actually usable. Someone else on here found a nice little joystick type switch.

By the way, those power mirror switches typically sell for more than my $40 price tag for the OEM stalk.
That would figure...I always try to do things in the most expensive way possible

I have the Digikey switches now, may just settle for them.

Thanks for the response!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #229
2mtech

Did the mod today, using the joystick switch from Allied Electric 127.0.0.1 used (only with the bat handle instead of the arrow button), and the clutch switch and resistors from Scott.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...px?SKU=9480343

I installed it where the outside rearview mirror adjust switch would've been if equipped. It's easy to reach, and running the wires from that point was simple.

Everything worked perfectly! Thanks so much again, Scott!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #230
kwkshft

Drives: 09 Yaris S 3drHB
Send a message via Yahoo to kwkshft
Thanks guys! Just did it this morning after getting the parts from Scott. Works perfect on my 09 hatch! I used the oem lower steering wheel cover from the dealer, here's what the hole looks like:

kwkshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #231
MN:-)Yaris
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 2dr LB M/T
OCS check prior to connecting battery

Hi. I'd like to install cruise control on my new Yaris (new to me) but I'm a bit concerned about messing up the safety systems, i.e. airbags. I went to my local library and looked at a copy of Chilton's service manual for late model Toyotas and they recommend using [OEM?] scanning/diagnostic tools to check for system errors anytime an air bag has been removed and then re-installed on Toyotas with OCS prior to reconnecting the battery. I don't have access to such equipment but I like to be sure everything is still working when I put it back together. What are the risks of not following this step or is Chilton just being hyper sensitive? Doesn't the Yaris have a built in diagnostic function with connection to the instrument indicator light? The Chilton manual, part of a hard cover phone book thick series covering Asian cars, appeared to be written for repair shops. I'm fine with doing the mechanical and electrical work for the CC thanks to all the effort people have put in on this forum but I'm a little spooked at the air bags and the related systems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

MN:-)Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #232
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN:-)Yaris View Post
Hi. I'd like to install cruise control on my new Yaris (new to me) but I'm a bit concerned about messing up the safety systems, i.e. airbags. I went to my local library and looked at a copy of Chilton's service manual for late model Toyotas and they recommend using [OEM?] scanning/diagnostic tools to check for system errors anytime an air bag has been removed and then re-installed on Toyotas with OCS prior to reconnecting the battery. I don't have access to such equipment but I like to be sure everything is still working when I put it back together. What are the risks of not following this step or is Chilton just being hyper sensitive? Doesn't the Yaris have a built in diagnostic function with connection to the instrument indicator light? The Chilton manual, part of a hard cover phone book thick series covering Asian cars, appeared to be written for repair shops. I'm fine with doing the mechanical and electrical work for the CC thanks to all the effort people have put in on this forum but I'm a little spooked at the air bags and the related systems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If there are any issues with the SRS, the airbag light will illuminate on the dash, so as long as you don't have the light on when you are done, all is well. If the light was on, there is a method (posted in another thread) to make the SRS ECU flash the airbag light in a pattern to tell you what the error is.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #233
carlosgil5

Drives: 2010 AT 5dr Liftback
Quote:
Mexican Yaris get a different ECM than US and Canadian ones, so you would definitely have to test it to see. The place to start is to measure the voltage on the ECM pin 40, with the ignition in the on position. If you see 12 Volts on that pin, then there's a good chance that it will work.

If you shine a flashlight around on your instrument cluster, do you see the two icons for cruise control?
Well, I know it's been a while since I ask for your help, a 4 hour drive remind me I need this mod. Check this out please.

My instrument cluster has the two icons for CC, my ECM part number is 89661-52G71, and I have a reason to believe that mexican and canadian yaris use the same specs because there's a sticker on my door with a canadian logo.

The canadian sticker surprised me, apparently all mexican Yaris got it, a friend of mine has a sedan and the same sticker is there.

What do you think? can this be posible?

If that is correct and I have the canadian version I would like to buy one of your cc kits you sell and give this a shot.

Thanks for the help.
carlosgil5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #234
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosgil5 View Post
Well, I know it's been a while since I ask for your help, a 4 hour drive remind me I need this mod. Check this out please.

My instrument cluster has the two icons for CC, my ECM part number is 89661-52G71, and I have a reason to believe that mexican and canadian yaris use the same specs because there's a sticker on my door with a canadian logo.

The canadian sticker surprised me, apparently all mexican Yaris got it, a friend of mine has a sedan and the same sticker is there.

What do you think? can this be posible?

If that is correct and I have the canadian version I would like to buy one of your cc kits you sell and give this a shot.

Thanks for the help.

I just ran your VIN through the EPC and your car is actually a Canada spec, not Mexico spec Yaris, so cruise will definitely work for you. I suspect that even for Mexico Spec cars that it will work as well.