Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
pat005

Drives: 08 Yaris 3-Door
Power Locks/ Remote Start

I have an automatic 08 LB Yaris with pretty much no options; I want to put a remote starter in the car but most remote starters also come with keyless entry so I may as well add that too right? Anyways, here's the game plan:

For power locks; I plan on using W.A.S.P's
DIY: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...wer+door+locks

KIT: http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...Code=W01C-712T

However I was wondering if I would need the keyless entry option from this kit if I plan on getting a remote starter down the road with keyless entry (I hope to everything on one remote).

For the remote starter I was planning on using CTScott's
DIY: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24860

KIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Way-Car-Al...item51a3cfc992

I'm using this kit because my brother bought it and isn't using it; however I am open to options. I live in a dorm and my car is about half a mile from me so I kind of want a 2 way to know if I was able to get it on, however if you have a easier/cheaper/better solution please let me know!

So my questions were:
Should I get the power locks with or without keyless entry as I plan on replacing the fob anyhow?

Will the systems work together?
Will I be installing a decent remote starter or should I invest in something better?
I should be pretty well off with the DIYs from this forum, am I missing a few DIY I should perhaps read before starting and committing?

Thank You All
-Pat
pat005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you are going to do the wiring for the remote starter, then you might as well add the power locks at the same time, for the convenience.

You won't need the kit from A1 that includes the keyless entry module, if you are installing another remote start/keyless entry system. Also, ideally you want an extra actuator for the hatch as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
pat005

Sorry about the shameless bump, but I actually got around to installing the remote starter and started installing the actuators, I bought the actuators but I seem to be missing the piece that keeps the rod and cable parallel, is there somewhere I can get that or should I just call A1 and have them mail it to me. I have the remote starter hooked up to the 12V and it seems to be on, but when I try to start from the remote, the car turns on, but doesn't crank, and then just turns back off. Also, is it okay for me to splice the 12V coming into the remote starter so that I can get some juice for my actuators as well, or is there another place for me to get some juice for the actuators?

Forgot to mention, I kind of rigged the ground coming out of the remote starter and it goes from the 18g to like a 24g. Also it makes static sounding sounds(coming from the little control unit)
TL:DR
Missing thing that makes cable and actuator rod parallel, where to find?
Remote starter turns on car, doesn't crank, and turns back off; Any ideas?
Should I splice into the 12V that the remote starter is currently plugged into to power actuators as well, or different area for power (where?)

Thanks!

Last edited by pat005; 06-25-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Forgot possibly relevant info
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat005 View Post
Sorry about the shameless bump, but I actually got around to installing the remote starter and started installing the actuators, I bought the actuators but I seem to be missing the piece that keeps the rod and cable parallel, is there somewhere I can get that or should I just call A1 and have them mail it to me. I have the remote starter hooked up to the 12V and it seems to be on, but when I try to start from the remote, the car turns on, but doesn't crank, and then just turns back off. Also, is it okay for me to splice the 12V coming into the remote starter so that I can get some juice for my actuators as well, or is there another place for me to get some juice for the actuators?

Forgot to mention, I kind of rigged the ground coming out of the remote starter and it goes from the 18g to like a 24g. Also it makes static sounding sounds(coming from the little control unit)
TL:DR
Missing thing that makes cable and actuator rod parallel, where to find?
Remote starter turns on car, doesn't crank, and turns back off; Any ideas?
Should I splice into the 12V that the remote starter is currently plugged into to power actuators as well, or different area for power (where?)

Thanks!

The ground needs to be as large as the power wires, which could explain the starter not cranking.

I would contact A1 for the block for the cable, as I don't think you'll find that in an autoparts store.

You can use the 1/4" spade terminal in the under-dash fuse panel for both the locks and the remote starter, as that is a 60A feed. You need to come off of it with a piece of 12 or 10 AWG wire, and then you can splice that to the two systems.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
pat005

Got the power locks to work, and even got the remote to work with the power locks, but now it seems I only have one problem left, the starter.
It still turns the car on, but doesn't crank. There's a few wires I still haven't connected but it might be important, but I feel like I have most of the important ones connected but just to be sure...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3gC...it?usp=sharing

Top 2X3P: I have all of them spliced in, and I have double checked them.

Second 2X3P:
Lock outputs: connected
Trunk Output: None
Light 1&2 (+) output: I had one connected to the the (+) on the guide and one connected to the (-) total amateur move, yes; but it clicked and the console lights were flickering so I disconnected the (+) one and the flickering stopped, but should I connect Both to the (+) on the guide, or both to the (-)? either way, I currently have no flashing lights whatsoever.
Horn output: Connected per guide

8P: I have them all disconnected, None of them looked important but I might be wrong. The relay thing looked important but I wasn't sure how to connected them. Looks like 86 connects to IGN1 and 87a and 30 go together and then to the start? (I wasn't comfortable with double splicing into things so I figured I get expert advice first too, scissors threw me off)

7P
Break pedal input: Connected per guide
Parking Break switch input: Have it spliced to pin 11 on the daytime running light relay (according to the forum)
Other ones are all disconnected.

Are there other ones I should connect?
Can I just ground all the ones that say (-)?
Where should I connect the light outputs (same place for both?)
To end on a good note though, my power locks are working and got the keyless entry to work!

Thank you for all the help.

Last edited by pat005; 07-15-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Linking Diagram
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Got the power locks to work, and even got the remote to work with the power locks, but now it seems I only have one problem left, the starter.
It still turns the car on, but doesn't crank. There's a few wires I still haven't connected but it might be important, but I feel like I have most of the important ones connected but just to be sure...

Top 2X3P: I have all of them spliced in, and I have double checked them.

Second 2X3P:
Lock outputs: connected
Trunk Output: None
Light 1&2 (+) output: I had one connected to the the (+) on the guide and one connected to the (-) total amateur move, yes; but it clicked and the console lights were flickering so I disconnected the (+) one and the flickering stopped, but should I connect Both to the (+) on the guide, or both to the (-)? either way, I currently have no flashing lights whatsoever.
Horn output: Connected per guide

8P: I have them all disconnected, None of them looked important but I might be wrong. The relay thing looked important but I wasn't sure how to connected them. Looks like 86 connects to IGN1 and 87a and 30 go together and then to the start? (I wasn't comfortable with double splicing into things so I figured I get expert advice first too, scissors threw me off)

7P
Break pedal input: Connected per guide
Parking Break switch input: Have it spliced to pin 11 on the daytime running light relay (according to the forum)
Other ones are all disconnected.

Are there other ones I should connect?
Can I just ground all the ones that say (-)?
Where should I connect the light outputs (same place for both?)
To end on a good note though, my power locks are working and got the keyless entry to work!

Thank you for all the help.
The top 2x3xp is the key to starting. What specifically do you have each of those wires connected to?

The 8P connections should not be necessary.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
pat005

Bad pic but from harness-car
Pink(IGN1)-Pink
Pink(IGN2)-Green
Purple-Black
Orange-White
Red-Power
Black-Ground

Maybe I'm using sh*tty splices? Possibly mixed up the IGNs like Skyline1982 had on post #34 on http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...e+start&page=2 but I don't have an engine immobilizer so it shouldn't matter right?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

Bad pic but from harness-car
Pink(IGN1)-Pink
Pink(IGN2)-Green
Purple-Black
Orange-White
Red-Power
Black-Ground

Maybe I'm using sh*tty splices? Possibly mixed up the IGNs like Skyline1982 had on post #34 on http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...e+start&page=2 but I don't have an engine immobilizer so it shouldn't matter right?
The IGN1 and IGN2 should not matter for most remote starters, as most turn both on at the same time. Using tap splices with two wires of such a huge size difference could be the issue.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
pat005

I have good news! I can remote start the car now! I thought I plugged in the Parking Brake switch, but I put the wrong wire in.

Now for the somewhat bad news, if I remote start the car, I can insert my key, drive around, and then when I put it back in park, pull out my key, the car is still started...
Minor(I hope) inconvenience.. any ideas CT? and I do have the brake pedal input connected...
Old 07-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I have good news! I can remote start the car now! I thought I plugged in the Parking Brake switch, but I put the wrong wire in.

Now for the somewhat bad news, if I remote start the car, I can insert my key, drive around, and then when I put it back in park, pull out my key, the car is still started...
Minor(I hope) inconvenience.. any ideas CT? and I do have the brake pedal input connected...
Sounds like the brake pedal wire is not connected.