Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
maximapitko

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan 5spd
4 year report

I bought the car brand new - 07 Sedan 5spd with no power options nor abs ($11400 plus tax). As of now it has 96k. I've used mobile1 since the first oil change. The vehicle gets a fresh one every 5k and it doesn't use any oil in between service intervals. I've always used OEM toyota oil filter except may be 2 times when I went with mobile1 one. I've been reading the discussion here about going to 5w20 and so I did - didn't notice any improvement in mpg and I can't really pin point what bothers me since I switched but there is something - may be engine got a little louder. I am switching back to 5w30 next time. I've replaced the oem tires at 55k with 195/60/15 pirellis (slightly bigger) - instantly I lost 2mpg but gained a lot better ride. At 70k I replaced the serp. belt as well as the spark plugs - all parts from the local dealer. During the last tire rotation I looked at the brakes - 70% life left all around which I find amazing. Such a light car is easy on the whole drivertrain. I am averaging 33mpg combined although when it gets below 0 it drops to 28-9. Since I've had it there have been only four issues:
- for some reason my ac drain tube gets plugged up every summer - it takes 30 sec to get it going again.
- o-ring on the vvti solenoid is leaking pretty good - been like that for awhile. It will be fixed this week since it's the only oil leak on the vehicle.
- the HVAC fan is starting to make noise during operation - this may be due to the lack of cabin filter (yes, I've read the diys and will make one soon) or due to the wife flooding it with ac condensation water a few times before telling me that there is a weird noise coming from the glove box area during left turns.
- stock radio used to make "static sound" during cd playback on any music cd from song 8 and up. Toyota wants $1300 for a replacement unit . It hasn't done it for the last year

Before the next oil change I'll replace the oil pan gasket and the valve cover gasket - not leaking yet but should start any time now - plus I am bored.

I am really happy with the car. I get to see many Yarises at work and to me the quality of materials is much better in the sedan compared to the HB - may be because most of the them have beige interiors and mine has black but even my mother drives a HB in europe ($25k worth of yaris - start button, auto-manual, leather steering wheel with audio control and ect) and it too (despite the black interior) feels much much cheaper inside. Anyways. The only "mod" I have on the car is HID kit from DDM - best $50 I've ever spend. The kit has hi/low and has a "plate" under the bulb which gives me a great pattern without blinding anybody. I highly recommend it. Thats about it. Hope somebody finds this helpful.
maximapitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
Great post !
annn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
jonathankoji

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan
Do you have a link to the HID kit you used? You got me interested.
jonathankoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximapitko View Post
I've replaced the oem tires at 55k with 195/60/15 pirellis (slightly bigger) - instantly I lost 2mpg but gained a lot better ride.
I suspect this isn't accurate. When you switch tire sizes it means the speedometer/odometer loses a certain % accuracy. Say it's 2%, when you drive 100km the odometer might only read that you'd traveled 98km. This will obviously affect your mileage calculations. I believe it can be fixed by having this stuff calibrated.

Of course you are probably losing some economy by having a larger tire, but not by that much.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
brg88tx

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Great post!

I suspect this isn't accurate. When you switch tire sizes it means the speedometer/odometer loses a certain % accuracy. Say it's 2%, when you drive 100km the odometer might only read that you'd traveled 98km. This will obviously affect your mileage calculations. I believe it can be fixed by having this stuff calibrated.

Of course you are probably losing some economy by having a larger tire, but not by that much.
yep, i have 195/60r15 tires also and they are 1.98% too large, so your odometer is reading 1.98% too few miles. when i calculate my mpg i take the total miles driven and multiply it by 1.0198 to come up with the actual miles driven.

i suspect this is where your 2% perceived loss in mpg comes from.
brg88tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
Happy Little Pony

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brg88tx View Post
yep, i have 195/60r15 tires also and they are 1.98% too large, so your odometer is reading 1.98% too few miles. when i calculate my mpg i take the total miles driven and multiply it by 1.0198 to come up with the actual miles driven.

i suspect this is where your 2% perceived loss in mpg comes from.
It's really remarkable. I just put on new tires the day before yesterday: 195/60r15! And I was just using my junior high level geometry skills to try to estimate how far off my odometer will be. I came up with 1.68 percent, so I'm happy to see that I'm at least in the ballpark. I figure I can use a GPS on my next long drive and get a better idea.
Happy Little Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
mark293

Drives: 2007 THREE DOOR 5 SPEED
My 07 5 speed HB has 98k running Mobil 1. I am experiencing a chirping noise at start up. It sounds like the chirp my Cummins diesel used to make upon shutdown. I was told the Cummins shuts down so fast, the belts slip and make a chirp. I am assuming my serpentine belt needs replacing. Other than that, no issues. Still on original brake pads.

Probably going to change the manual tranny fluid this weekend.
mark293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
maximapitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathankoji View Post
Do you have a link to the HID kit you used? You got me interested.
ddmtuning.com ^

I just came back from a trip to NYC (2400 miles round trip). Before I left I had 6 bottles of STP fuel injector cleaner which I started adding in each new tank (1 per tank). The shocking part was that I was getting better and better mpg's with every tank - on the last one I hit 39.8mpg (average speed for the trip 74.3mph according to the gps). I haven't seen 40mpg since the first week i bought the car and was feathering the throttle so I was pretty happy. There are a couple of new issues with the vehicle:

- passenger side door won't open. It feels like the lock cable got disengaged from the button in lock possition ( smells like a major pain in the ass )
- front rotors seem to have started to warp - I'll throw a new set on this week.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
jonathankoji

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan
^ Thanks!
jonathankoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
FunForDummies

Drives: YRS 5dr MT
Thx for all this info.

Looks like Mobil 1 and some injector cleaner really pay off.

ps; 2400 miles is a long trip in a small car. Shows some fortitude.

How many hours before the seat was giving you pain?

Cop any tickets?

..and you haven't mentioned the speakers. Any speaker rattle yet?
FunForDummies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
maximapitko

Soon after I bought it I took a trip to las vegas and back (4000miles). After the 12th hour I felt discomfort sitting on the seat. On my last trip though I never felt any pain - I guess the seat got "broken in" after 100k?! No cop problems this time :) New issue:

- front driver's side wheel bearing is starting to make noise. I'll give it another month to see how it develops. I'll probably just end up replacing it anyways...