Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Low drag mirrors

Am I the only one to fold the side mirrors back? I'm talking middle of Wyoming, and into a 30 mph headwind. I was always in the right hand lane, (interstate) traffic was very light, like none. My neck still can turn, and I have a rear view mirror. As I neared a town, I'd flip them back out. Safe enough, probably not legal. I havn't done it since, just that long stretch with the headwind and it was getting real boring. Can't say I could see a difference on the scangauge, and I only did it for a couple hundred miles.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I'd rather have full visibility than be obsessed over the drag, if any, they add.
I'd think the envelope that the front of the car creates going through the air at highway speeds extends out past the side mirrors. If it didn't, wouldn't the manufacturers see this in the wind tunnel and tune the mirror size/shape accordingly???

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Tune the size accordingly? You would think but then they can't even come up with a quality waterpump.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
actually mirrors are tuned for visibility first, and drag is accepted in that area.

You can buy racing style mirrors if you'd like, they are much smaller. Garm has a set mounted on his yaris.

and so a few waterpumps aren't perfect. That stinks, but there are always a few stupid problems with cars. Thank God the Yaris is one of the best in this category.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
Idahotom

After hearing about guys who remove the windshield wipers for less drag, folding back the mirrors seemed pretty minor. A one time deal for me, though I do like how they hold their adjustment through the folding process. Maybe the next time I'm driving through Wyoming I'll do it again!

During that leg of the drive, I saw a state trooper had pulled over a Prius, and I had to wonder for what, too fast, too slow??? Drafting semi's maybe?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
prius drivers are usually snobs who forget the rules apply to them as well.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I would like ti see some smaller rear view mirrors that not only have less drag but generate less "wind noise"
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
prius drivers are usually snobs who forget the rules apply to them as well.
Oh, please. When I was coming home from Georgia, one of the fastest cars I drafted before the VA border was a Prius with the Virginia plate SAVN GRN. She averaged 95 mph and had a Greenpeace sticker on the back of her car.

...yeah, that's totally what you're supposed to do in a Prius. Floor it the whole way home to save gas.
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Toyota_Yaris

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Tune the size accordingly? You would think but then they can't even come up with a quality waterpump.
hahahahaha x's 2

62k miles on mine and I just went through my first waterpump
Toyota_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Prius bashing =
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
i dont see how adjusting the mirrors will make a difference at normal driving speeds. sometimes drag is even beneficial. for example, the antennae, which seemingly produces unnecessary drag, helps to trip a turbulent boundary layer for higher efficiency and lower overall drag.
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Idahotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfeng View Post
i dont see how adjusting the mirrors will make a difference at normal driving speeds. sometimes drag is even beneficial. for example, the antennae, which seemingly produces unnecessary drag, helps to trip a turbulent boundary layer for higher efficiency and lower overall drag.
What...you wind tunnel testing the Yaris with smoke streams or something?
The antenna is drag, though not much. As are the mirrors, less so when folded but who wants to drive around with no mirrors, besides me, one time!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
cfeng

i use a water tunnel in my lab. i've been thinking about this. with a properly designed rear wing on the hatchback, it may be possible to increase fuel economy.

the top picture is similar to a stock yaris, air swirls in vortex patterns, which means that not only does the yaris need to propel itself forward, but spend considerable energy into moving air. with the correct rear wing, there could be less separation in flow at end and less movement in the air, similar to the bottom picture. i found this picture online, the second picture is misleading because it represents an ideal case with virtually no separation in flow.

the antennae will disturb how the eddies are shed, reducing wasteful swirling of air (reduce a little). similarly, if a wing is designed to reduce the size and number of eddies from forming by increasing turbulence at the rear of the car, the car will have less drag and overall better efficiency.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
What about the Sedan?

D.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
cfeng

can't say for sure. it would seem that a sedan will have separation in the back as well, however it may not be as defined. since the wing might help reduce the effects of separation, i'm not sure how much benefit you have if the separation is already less than the hatchback. however, i dont have much experience on aerodynamics of cars, i work on fish.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Really? Fold the mirror in to save on drag?

If you a rocket scientist for NASA, I would understand.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
What does rocket science and NASA have to do with drag? Aerodynamics can be a hobby as well as a science: more than once I have been involved in tufting a car in order to find a source of gas-eating turbulence, it ain't that hard, and the results are worth the time and effort.

Re the sedan: just the mud patterns on a sedan give you a hint, ie, there is far less mud on the back of a sedan after driving in crappy weather. This means that the air stays stuck, and the turbulence and rotors are smaller, ie, less drag. I consistently get better fuel mileage than my buddy's hatch, and we both drive about the same.

Folding in the mirrors may or may not make a difference, depending on the shape presented by the folded mirror, and the turbulence generated. Somehow, I don't think the difference would be easily measured. Now, skinning the underside should change things a lot, but not always for the better...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Aerodynamics can be a hobby as well as a science:

I don't think the difference would be easily measured.
Sentence number 2 is why sentence number 1 is false.

I think what he is trying to say is, unless you have access to a wind tunnel, the difference is near impossible to measure, kind of defeating the whole point of trying to become more aerodynamic. Its just like VG's - sure the theory is there and you can experiment, but unless you have wind tunnel data to back up that they are decreasing drag by stopping flow separation, you could be hurting your drag as much as you are helping.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote