Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
nwdixieboy

Drives: ecoh
Just bought my new US Yaris Sedan. Great ride!!!!

I had a 2001 Echo and was very, very, very impressed with the changes in the driving in my new 2007 Yaris Sedan with automatic. Much, much more accurate steering. Quieter and sportier feel. I wanted an aftermarket cruise control but they aren't available for quite a while. The power package is rather hard to come by at this point according to the dealer. Doors have a much more solid sound when shut. Fit and finish of interior much improved. Very happy.
nwdixieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:35 AM   #2
as400g33k

Drives: 05 YRS Silver Lining Metallic
cool! post pics!
as400g33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Thanks for the review. I share most of your views and I drive an auto too. I am also impressed by the solid clunking of the doors . I bet anybody standing nearby with eyes closed will believe that the sound is made by a big luxury car.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
how does it drive at 70 and 75 miles an hour. Not sure what that equates to in canadian. Some folks said theres a whistling sound or something. And how is the performance at high speeds.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
swng

70 to 75 mph is about 112 to 121 km/hr. Even at 110 km/hr which is ok on some highways, the car is not too quiet anyway and wind noise is noticeable. Many a time the volume of the stereo has to be turned up. So it is a matter of how does it compare with other small cars. I believe that it compares well. May be other members can add their comments here.
What I want to say in favour of the Yaris is that despite that it is obviously a city car, it is relatively quiet, composed, and maneuverable on the highway. Overtaking big trucks normally do not give rise to stress and merging is seldom challenging. Overall, I do not feel uncomfortable driving it(relatively speaking).
As for whistling sounds, I have not noticed any this far. May be I have not been paying enough attention. I believe incompletely closed windows, imperfect window/door seals or even some settings of the ventilation controls may, in some rare occasions(e.g. in very windy situations), give rise to that kind of noise. I am no expert. May be other members can contribute their views here.
I hope members waiting to take delivery of the car remain realistic and do not set their expectations too high. Once one accepts that the Yaris is an economic sub compact car intended basically by many people as a city runner, one will be very pleasantly surprised by what a Yaris can do and how well it performs.
Best wishes!

Last edited by swng; 03-29-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
Post pics of the Sedan!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
70 to 75 mph is about 112 to 121 km/hr. Even at 110 km/hr which is ok on some highways, the car is not too quiet anyway and wind noise is noticeable. Many a time the volume of the stereo has to be turned up. So it is a matter of how does it compare with other small cars. I believe that it compares well. May be other members can add their comments here.
What I want to say in favour of the Yaris is that despite that it is obviously a city car, it is relatively quiet, composed, and maneuverable on the highway. Overtaking big trucks normally do not give rise to stress and merging is seldom challenging. Overall, I do not feel uncomfortable driving it(relatively speaking).
As for whistling sounds, I have not noticed any this far. May be I have not been paying enough attention. I believe incompletely closed windows, imperfect window/door seals or even some settings of the ventilation controls may, in some rare occasions(e.g. in very windy situations), give rise to that kind of noise. I am no expert. May be other members can contribute their views here.
I hope members waiting to take delivery of the car remain realistic and do not set their expectations too high. Once one accepts that the Yaris is an economic sub compact car intended basically by many people as a city runner, one will be very pleasantly surprised by what a Yaris can do and how well it performs.
Best wishes!
thanks swung for the info.. I've been driving a 93 nissan truck for all these years along with my toyota truck. So noise isn't that big a deal. I'm just getting the yaris for the gas milage. Sounds like it handles fairly well from what folks who have posted.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:06 AM   #8
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
thanks swung for the info.. I've been driving a 93 nissan truck for all these years along with my toyota truck. So noise isn't that big a deal. I'm just getting the yaris for the gas milage. Sounds like it handles fairly well from what folks who have posted.
You are very welcome!
Old 04-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
YotaYarisUSA

Drives: Yaris Sedan,Pacific Blue
How much did you pay for your Sedan? I've been wanting to testdrive one forever and they cannot keep the car in stock. How much did you pay for your car? Can we see a pic?

Thanks

YotaYarisUSA
YotaYarisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #10
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i have been very pleased with the yaris on the highway, it does get tossed a bit in a cross wind but it is very solid on the highway for a small car, i've had it up to 145 km/h (90 mph?) and it has power to spare.

i imagine the sedan will handle differently on windy days and noise level might be different than the hatch though.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:30 AM   #11
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
i think a lower stiffer suspension and good tires with take care of all that
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #12
harves
Ozecho.com Owner

Drives: Toyota Echo 2003
Send a message via AIM to harves Send a message via MSN to harves Send a message via Yahoo to harves
Congratulations on your purchase
Old 04-03-2006, 05:49 AM   #13
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Lowering will help considerably ;)

The sedan has a more superior ride comfort and different spring loading than the hatch, which would also probably be why it floats a bit at standard height. I dare say some decent rims and tyres woudl help too ;)
Old 04-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #14
nwdixieboy

Drives: ecoh
I spoke with the sales manager and told him about how great my car is. He explained many things I didn't quite understand which make sense now. Seem Toyota wanted to make a small car that really felt like a big car. The power steering is like that in the Camry and is totally electric. Much smoother and quieter. There is also a totally different kind of connection with the gas pedal ( I forget the term) that is done by wire and is much superior to the old Echo. The joints inside are very tight and you aren't able to put a coin in them like you used to be able to. It really feels like a much more expensive car than the old Echo. The steering is much more responsive and dead on than before.
nwdixieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #15
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

iTS DRIVE-By-wire electric steering .... it no longer uses the engine to power it. A lot of new cars use this technology, and a lot of more luxurious cars have been using this for at least a few years. Both the hatch and sedan Yaris used drive-by-wire.