Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
GrimlockGT

Drives: 2009 3DR Blizzard Pearl CE
Cold Air Intake - Question

I'm going to add a CAI to my Yaris and was wondering if anyone had any negative experiences after the install. In particular having a Check Engine Light error. CEL's drive me nuts!!
I'm probably going to go with the AFE one.

Thanks
GrimlockGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Going with a known and proven brand you'll have no issues. Just make sure that all clamps are secure and the MAF is properly seated. Most CELs are caused by either incorrect piping size, or air leaks.

(and with this, I have finally hit 1,000 posts.....whew!!!)
Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Congrats!
suckerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
+1 on Weeyari , i have an AFE Dry intake , its been on now for 50,000KM
not 1 CEL or any other problems .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Just handle the MAF like it's priceless. Don't drop it or bang it around at all. In fact, I recommend that the first thing you do is un-plug it, remove it and set it aside. Then let it be the last thing you re-install and hook up.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
GrimlockGT

Drives: 2009 3DR Blizzard Pearl CE
Thanks for the input. Good to hear that if installed carefully there won't be any issues.
GrimlockGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
JImbo_2400

Drives: 2D Grey Hatchback
Gotta be careful, I just put a K&N Typhoon Intake on mine and after 250 miles running it with no problems I got a a DTC of P0101 "Mass or Volume Air flow circuit range/performance fault." I cleared it by disconnecting the battery and I'm waiting to see if it comes back. Going to contact K&N to see if they have reports of similar issues with this intake.
JImbo_2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
I've got an ebay special INSYS intake, works like a charm for a fraction of the price.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Going with a known and proven brand you'll have no issues. Just make sure that all clamps are secure and the MAF is properly seated. Most CELs are caused by either incorrect piping size, or air leaks.

WeeYari,
Didn't Adrian hydroloc / destroy his engine after sucking water in through his CAI?
Or were his extraordinary circumstances we shouldn't be concerned about???

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
WeeYari

Extraordinary circumstances.

He modified his stock air box. Took the inlet tube which curls up and flipped it so it pointed down and added an extension to it so that the mouth of the inlet tube was way down low. He then encountered massive amounts of standing water driving through one of our biggest rainstorms ever, and vacuumed it up off the road. :(
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
WeeYari

Personally, I prefer, and am more comfortable with short ram style intakes. Not really keen on those that place the filter in the wheel well. Much easier to address filter maintenance too with short ram.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Note: The OP is getting an AFE, which is more of a short ram style, not a CAI.

It would be practically impossible to get hydrolock with the AFE. The filter is at the top of the engine bay, protected on all sides and sealed against the hood (or nearly so).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
WeeYari

^ Yep.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Looks like you decided on the AFE, but I'll answer your post in saying that I used the TRD (really an AEM) CAI that mounts the filter below the right headlight, then vented my foglight cover to force in cold air, and I had fantastic results. According to my SGII, the intake temps dropped from around 100 F to 1-2 degrees F above ambient air temps.

I commuted in all weather for almost 2 years (Dallas actually has 4 seasons, winter is just short, but spring is really rainy) with no problems, and was very nervous about hydro lock until I checked the filter after driving home in a real gully washer and found it to be fine, with only a little dampness on the bottom side. That included 17 miles of 60mph driving behind other cars on the freeway, rain pouting down in sheets. I never worried again.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #15
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27584

Seems like cels happen to most intakes seems like it hit or miss.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #16
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Looks like you decided on the AFE, but I'll answer your post in saying that I used the TRD (really an AEM) CAI that mounts the filter below the right headlight, then vented my foglight cover to force in cold air, and I had fantastic results. According to my SGII, the intake temps dropped from around 100 F to 1-2 degrees F above ambient air temps.

I commuted in all weather for almost 2 years (Dallas actually has 4 seasons, winter is just short, but spring is really rainy) with no problems, and was very nervous about hydro lock until I checked the filter after driving home in a real gully washer and found it to be fine, with only a little dampness on the bottom side. That included 17 miles of 60mph driving behind other cars on the freeway, rain pouting down in sheets. I never worried again.
Wasn't your filter designed to handle wet situations anyways?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^ I have had three different cold air intakes on my car now since Ive owned it, different brands, filters, everything. I havent had any water issues here in Maine, and usually when it rains here, it RAINS.

I have had the ebay 1st gen AEM knockoff; Bomz cold air, the simota cold air, and now the AFE.

They have been great, never had one CEL
Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #18
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
I had a ebay chepo cai intake never any cels but I did have to many big puddle water over the hood scares so I sold it and got a drop box simota instead.
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote