Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Nibs

Drives: 07 Yaris HB black
Thumbs up Royal Purple FTW

So i switched to royal purple last night after reading alot of good things about on this site. After Researching abit more about it on the net I decided to switch from the dealership oil job.

I did not expect to notice any difference at all but instead I did. Not until I got to the highway and was going the usual 120k / hour did I realize the rpms weren't above 3500 like usual and that the engine felt smoother. 120k for me was usually 3600-3700 rpm. Today it was 3300-3400, not huge in anyway but for 5th gear in our cars thats abit of difference. After getting to the bottleneck areas of my commute I noticed 1st gear was alot smoother in that I didn't get the jerkiness and need to switch to 2nd gear like usual at 20km/hour to make the ride smooth.

All in all the engine is alot smoother and runs a hell of alot better. I didn't really noticed any more pep though

Royal Purple 5w 30 Motor Oil

thx to all that use it and influenced me to make the switch
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
wait till you put synthetic in your trans.... you may cream yourself
Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
pp.sweet

Drives: Red Yaris HatchBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
wait till you put synthetic in your trans.... you may cream yourself
Cream ?? Sheee I hope not he may CrAsH! ..

wELCOME TO oUR wORLD..
pp.sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I absolutly loved it after I put synthetic in my trans, much smoother shifting
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Glad your engine is running smoother but is anyone else going to mention the fact that oil CANNOT lower your RPM's? I don't mean to be a dick but it's physically impossible.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
......oil doesn't lower RPM's.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
ok, I said it.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #8
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
No, it can't directly lower the RPMs, but it can certainly make the engine operate more efficiently and with less waste given to friction, which means the ability to achieve the same usable torque output at a lower RPM.

For example, my Yaris often lives in an engine braking scenario for over a mile at a time as I wind my way down a mountain. On the factory oils my maximum downhill speed on a particular stretch in a 3rd gear engine brake was 49 MPH. After switching to synthetic crankcase oil at the 5,000 mile service that speed immediately changed to 51 MPH. After switching the gear oil over to synthetic at 10,000 miles the speed in that section immediately changed to 53 MPH.

It's not as if the friction resistance drop disappears when you go from that scenario into one where you use the throttle.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Correct,its like I tried to say in another thread I posted,MUST READ!!! MPH to RPM to Time ratios,gas savings!,I also use synthetic,and I can acheive great gas savings at high speed,I also have a wide open exhaust,which helps save gas at a steady rpm,I drive atleast 90% highway at a steady speed,somtimes fast and steady,wide open for jokes I know.But if you know anything about momentum at higher speeds,the air resistance is sorta defeated by the momentum,but the air resistance is still stronger.What I do is feather the gas once I get up to speed,never actually stepping off,just giving it enough gas to keep a momentum.Here is a link to my other post,I dont think anyone has tryed to disprove what Im saying,but belive me its true.http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=mph+time
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
PetersRedYaris

Your both missing the point, we're not talking about friction resistance, we're talking about RPM's. Of course synthetic oil lowers friction resistance in the engine which translates to a slight increase in HP and/or MPG.

But gear ratio's don't magically change when you put synthetic in your engine. With the same gear ratios and a manual transmission, same speed equals same RPM's, period. In an automatic you might be able to argue differances due to the torque converter locking out at a different RPM. Dealing with a manual however, once the clutch is engaged, you have a direct connection between engine speed and wheel speed.

More usable torque at a lower RPM does not translate into lower RPM's...
Old 09-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
yalease

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
royal purple oils are awesome. kinda pricey, but AWESOME. i love their gear oils too. makes the shifter feel like butter...
yalease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalease View Post
royal purple oils are awesome. kinda pricey, but AWESOME. i love their gear oils too. makes the shifter feel like butter...
I agree, you can literally "feel" the difference when you upgrade to synthetic oil in a manual transmission. In an engine, it's harder to tell the difference but still well worth the upgrade.