Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
New info on Amsoil's EaO09 & EaO10 Oil Filters

Just got this notice in the mail from Amsoil...:

"Filters used with any Toyota/Lexus application, or with the Pontiac Vibe featuring the 1.8L engine built by Toyota."

"AMSOIL now recommends changing EaO09 and EaO10 Filters used in the above-listed applications according to the filter change interval recommended by your vehicle manufacturer. Refer to your owner's manual. Customers operating with any of the above-listed applications with an EaO09 or EaO10 Filter in service beyond the vehicle manufacturer's recommended interval should change the oil filter at the earliest opportunity. If the oil light is triggered, the filter should be changed immediately. For more information contact AMSOIL Technical Services at (715) 399-TECH or tech@amsoil.com"

Guess you shouldn't worry about using the Ea filter for the 1.5, just some of the 1.8L engines...

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Hey 1st,

Thanks for posting this as this really should be brought to people's attention.

I think they mean ANY Toyota or Lexus app regardless of displacement. They include the Vibe because it's Toyota powered. In the Amsoil product guide for the Yaris it specifically makes the above recommendation. There was actually a forum member here whose filter came apart internally due to severe fuel dilution and the media collapse tripped his oil pressure light. That was what prompted the shortened filter interval. (Amsoil actually picked up the tab on his repairs). Worth keeping an eye on folks because that is a scary amount of fuel dilution were talking here. Funny though because I've seen several Yaris oil analysis reports on the 1.5 and none of them had fuel contamination issues-but I'm keeping a close eye on mine.

I'll be following the 5k/6month plan anyway (or sooner if the above fuel issue comes into play) for the next seven years...

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Yep I just checked and all the Toyota's I checked that Amsoil specs an EAO for advise the OEM filter changed intervals.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 08-04-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
1stToyota

I first started having second thoughts about the WIX design after reading bad results on the Ea oil filter at a Honda board. WIX's by-pass filter takes up so much space the size of the element is downsized and a lot smaller than other filter makes.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 08-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

The filter design itself is fine-the best made IMO. I've run them out to 25-27k routinely with good results. The problem is the fuel dilution breaking the filter down, most likely the adhesives I would imagine.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
1stToyota

You've got a LOT smaller element as the result because the by-pass valve is so big, and the ones I've opened I wasn't very impressed with their pleat spacing...I like big elements and fine pleating.

To me, that tiny element won't filter all that well.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 08-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Yeesh, seeing that tear-down of the filter... makes me consider doing the upgrade to a secondary set of oil filters more and more, and cranking the knob to 11 so it'll be a full 2 gallons of oil for a change.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
This sucks. I got the little card in the mail, too. One of the reasons I went with Amsoil is I could order the oil and filter from the same source. What do I do now? I still like the Amsoil, but what filter if I plan on going 10K between oil changes? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
Yarstar,

The EaO9 filter used on the 1.5 liter engine should be changed at OEM intervals. The EAO filter still provides superior filtration and better flow, but because of the higher then usual contaminates found in Toyota engines, Amsoil has been proactive to prevent any issues. Keep in mind that most other filters out there get changed at OEM recommendation as well and may not provide the same filtration. My Understanding is that your oil is still usable if you are using AMSOIL for an extended drain interval, just change the filter and top off the oil. Always change the filter when you change the oil regardless your oil/filter brand.
The fuel dilution mentioned is a new issue. The TSB I have indicates high levels of silicates produced by the engine being the issue.
I can get you the TSB on the Toyota/EAO filter if you'd like. Send a message to Greg@TruLube.com.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Lazerdot,

Thanks for the info.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 08-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
Thanks Lazerdot. Looks like I'll just be changing the filter twice with every oil cycle.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I use a Hastings filter with my Amsoil. I would have used a Wix, but couldn't find a dealer -- and the Amsoil dealer I go to had Hastings. I guess they're supposed to be pretty good, but I don't know jack about this stuff.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerdot View Post
Yarstar,

The EaO9 filter used on the 1.5 liter engine should be changed at OEM intervals. The EAO filter still provides superior filtration and better flow, but because of the higher then usual contaminates found in Toyota engines, Amsoil has been proactive to prevent any issues. Keep in mind that most other filters out there get changed at OEM recommendation as well and may not provide the same filtration. My Understanding is that your oil is still usable if you are using AMSOIL for an extended drain interval, just change the filter and top off the oil. Always change the filter when you change the oil regardless your oil/filter brand.
The fuel dilution mentioned is a new issue. The TSB I have indicates high levels of silicates produced by the engine being the issue.
I can get you the TSB on the Toyota/EAO filter if you'd like. Send a message to Greg@TruLube.com.
Must be having problems with Ford's 2008 2.3 4-cyl too...Amsoil stopped offering the Ea filter for it...maybe Amsoil should have stuck with Hastings.

btw, on the Ford Ea filter, the old P/N [EaO33/WIX 1215] appears to be now good for a Harley motorcycle only...hmmmmmm, I guess Harley's have engines that burn a lot cleaner than a Ford or Toyota.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 08-10-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #14
Lazerdot

Self promoting for sure but... If you need anything AMSOIL please try my site www.TruLube.com. WIX, MANN, and Donaldson available too.

I've found the company to be very helpful and as proactive as possible when issues come up. This filter thing must be making the engineers pull their hair out...
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
Lazerdot

I will try to get info for the Ford 2.3 issue as well.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #16
knowmercy

Drives: Blk 3door
This thread is a bit old, but usually high silicate levels mean something else is bad or wrong. I'd really like to see pictures of the bypass on the yaris though because I'm ordering one! I've still got about 7 more OEM oil filters that I'm going to use, and AFAIK they will still work on the amsoil bypass system.
knowmercy is offline   Reply With Quote