Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
S/C owners: collecting information

Blitz needs to know a few things to help us out with the issues some supercharger owner are experiencing. There seem to be a few issues -- overboosting, lean condition and knocking/pinging.

Please describe your symptoms (and please post with information about your set up and mods if you are NOT experiencing any problems).

We are working to have them provide several fuel maps to test out. I will require a local test car, and this may involve some dyno pulls, but there will be no expense to the owner.

Boost Pressure Issue
1: Boost Pressure you have reported was over 7psi, does the pressure stay at 7psi consistent or go up and down ?

Knocking Issue
A: What Gas octane are Supercharger customers using ?
B: Does knocking occur using Stock Air Box or aftermarket Air intake system? Does it occur with one octane but not with a higher octane? Please describe.
C. Please list any other engine modifications besides the Blitz system.

ok - thanks guys, we will continue to try to facilitate a solution for you.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Knocking Issue
B: Does knocking occur using Stock Air Box or aftermarket Air intake system? Does it occur with one octane but not with a higher octane? Please describe.
From the beginning I've been using 93 octane from BP. I got the knocking under heavy acceleration, and usually only the first time after warmup. Several weeks ago I started adding lucas oil octane booster, which is the only thing that prevents the knocking, though I haven't tried a tank without it yet.

My other mods are AEM cai, DC sports header, Nitto midpipe, Tanabe concept g exhaust, NST lite crank pulley, NGK 7 heat range spark plugs

Thank you Garm! Sorry I can't help with the AFR and boost pressures (still no gauges ). Like Yaris Tsport I am still thrilled with the overall results, worth every bit of effort

Last edited by kurokoma-kun; 04-07-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: adding plugs
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Mods: aFe Intake, NST crank/WT/ALT pulleys, NGK spark plugs, Megan header, 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust from the header back, hi flow cat, 18" resonator, 2.25"dynomax super turbo muffler

No knocking/pinging/pre-ignition. I use shell and 76's 92 octane. I also add lucas oil octane booster from day one.

My A/F readings from the dyno showed that I ran lean. I don't have a boost gauge to read my boost, nor a wideband to show a/f.

*I will be going to the dyno tomorrow (dynojet), and hopefully get some pulls in. I have a scangauge now so I will show my a/f readings with ignition timing and hopefully they can hook up a line to my boost/vacuum nipple while on the dyno to show the boost.

ps: thanks garm for taking the time to work with blitz on figuiring this out!

Last edited by PETERPOOP; 04-07-2009 at 08:46 PM.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Please describe your symptoms (and please post with information about your set up and mods if you are NOT experiencing any problems).

Boost Pressure Issue
1: Boost Pressure you have reported was over 7psi, does the pressure stay at 7psi consistent or go up and down ?

Knocking Issue
Thanks Garm.

My engine mods:

aFe intake
Blitz S/C
Megan 4-1 header
TRD exhaust
NST Pulley Set

1. Boost pressure max's out at about 7 psi. I run the same Autometer AFR gauge that Camelll uses.

A. Shell V-Power 91 Octane. No pre-ignition. No octane booster used
B. n/a
C. aFe intake, Blitz S/C, Megan 4-1 header, TRD exhaust, NST Pulley Set, NGK Iridium heat range 7 spark plugs, MicroImage sticker

AFR measures 14.7 to 14.9 at WOT with boost.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Great thread , more RD makes me seriously consider this over going the turbo route. Blitz should do a tune for a intake, header and exhaust as most people power hungy enough to buy a supercharger, will also install these items, if they don't have them on already. We all know there is never enough power.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Can anyone besides Camelll confirm overboosting?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris T-Sport View Post
my mods are Blitz SUS POWER air intake, NGK BKR7EIX, Greddy Tic Exhaust with silencer on full time, NST full pulley kit (not under drive), big throttle body (installed about two month after the sc installed

I had my kit for three month now, I have had ping/knock problem from the first day with 91 oct all the time regardless of what kinda brand of gas, I have tried them all, and they all ping and knock but I stick with shell and mobil 1 anyway since then, about two weeks since day one I have been using Lucas octane booster every fill up with 91 octane either shell, or mobil 1, this took away the ping and knock, but just about a week ago, I fill up with shell 91 with out any octane booster just too see if anything has changed, and it did, I now only run with 91 octane either shell or mobil 1 with out any octane booster, my car does not ping or knock anymore, I don't know the reason why it stop ping/knock, but I'm just happy that I can just fill up at the pump with out any octane boosters to boost. My car is running great and very reliable, I don't know the AF reading nor the HP output cuz I havent dyno it yet, I will do so when I get flywheel and cluth, the car is running great and trouble free, specially now I can just fill up at the pump and boost full time with out ping /knock, it doesn't seen to be running lean, over heating, or anything, it runs like a Champ, I'm not worry about anything, very happy with the kit, it is worth every penny. can't be any happier with this kit now.
What brand gas were u using before. You could have had excessive carbon buildup on top of the pistons enough to displace the combustion chamber enough to change the compression ratio to require you to need sligher higher octane. The continouse use of fuel injector cleaning probally cleaned the engine completely spotless to the point you no longer require that higher octane so now you no longer get a engine ping. I am thinking that the blitz SC kit runs so close to the verge of engine ping. This is why some people ping and some people do not without the aid of octane booster.

I would suggest those who experience pinging try a top engine cleaner such as seafoam through the intake manifold to remove all carbon buildup on the valves and on top of pistons. And then see if the engine still pings. Chances are it will make it better if not remove the pinging all together.

Just a thought.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
Great thread , more RD makes me seriously consider this over going the turbo route. Blitz should do a tune for a intake, header and exhaust as most people power hungy enough to buy a supercharger, will also install these items, if they don't have them on already. We all know there is never enough power.
I agree with you. I think most people who install the S/C already have extensive mods. Since the S/C is usually last on thier list. Since if you dump several grand into mods such as intake, pulleys, exhaust, headers, high flow cat, etc. You end up with the same result in power 15-20hp as the sc stand alone would do. Not to mention you dont have to run higher octance gas and you probally still have a grand or 2 in your pocket leftoever.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #9
staypuft
aka SDMF

Drives: 07 LB Met Met
Send a message via AIM to staypuft
mods: fujita cai, tanabe touring medallion exhaust, nst pulley set, ngk bk7 plugs, perrin oil catch can if that matters.

been running bp or shell 91 octane since i got the sc. i dont know if you would call it a knocking but when i gun it in 2nd after i hit 50 it feels like it studders so i shift into 3rd, that just started lately so i shift, i dont have any other gauge to test whats goes on during that period, will try that octane booster and see if that goes away, i love the sc and enjoy it on the highway when i can.

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/samuryan_x
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
LtNoogie

Shouldn't be.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
PETERPOOP

Ok, I got good news and I got bad news. I went to the dyno jet today and I made the most WHP any blitz owner has made so far. 133.06whp and 133.22 torque. However, I have the highest A/F readings than anyone too! haha. I dont know why I am laughing. This actually is pretty lame. They only did one pull and saw my crazy AFR and refused to do anymore. Everyone gathered at the dyno place and was outraged by the AFR. They couldn't believe blitz would sell a kit that put down 18-19 af readings. They were also surprised that is was not misfiring. I was rated at 8 pounds of boost during my pull. I am pretty mad at blitz right now.

ps: I could have probably made higher HP numbers if I did my other two runs! ;)

I really hope blitz can put a stop to this...

Here is my dyno chart from today...

Here is my old AFR dyno reading from a DynaPack dyno.

Only different thing that I did between my two seperate dyno runs were I put a hi flow cat on a changed my muffler.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

+1. Pretty weird to be that different from one place to the next. How were they reading A/F exactly?

I'm willing to bet that Blitz designed this kit to be bolted onto a STOCK yaris, especially the airbox.

Is ANYONE running this kit on an otherwise stock Yaris?

If you add a bolt-on boost kit to an already modified car, you might not be using it as intended. Nice of Blitz to take a look at your modified setups and try to help out.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris T-Sport View Post
I don't understand how one dyno reads that you are running too lean, and the other reads you are running too rich with out any tunning between the two dyno, there's obvious something not right about these dyno
readings, if your car is running like a champ, I wouldn't worry so much about these inconsistent AF readings, however I will take the 133 WHP as a new record for the Blitz Kit
Well both of my dyno readings are saying that I am LEAN, and not rich. Ideally I should be in the 11-12 range. My old dyno was 13-14 and my one from today is like 18-19!

However, like you said, my car IS running fine. No misfiring (like the dyno tech would thought be happening) and everything seems normal. If it wasn't for the dyno, I would be oblivious to all of this. For now, to be safe, I am going to be running with the compressor set to "off."

I am REALLLLLLLLYYY hoping blitz can make a new fuel map to take into consideration all of the other aftermarket mods MOST blitz owners have installed in their car already.

If they do make a new fuel controller and that doesn't fix it. I am going to have to throw down some $$$ to have someone tune this thing. I talked to a tuner at that shop and he is supposedly one of hawaii's best. He said he is confident he could tune it if we got rid of the fuel controller and used either the AEM FIC, Greddy Ultimate, or the F-Con (sp?). But he said that would cost me. Not too excited about that idea

I hope blitz can pull through for us!

Quote:
+1. Pretty weird to be that different from one place to the next. How were they reading A/F exactly?
Well they were two different dynos. First one was a dynapack and the one from today was a dynojet. The dynapack was saying I had only 107 whp and 95 trq. The dynojet is saying i have 133whp and 133trq. So I would think the dynapack's A/F readings wouldn't be as high either. So if you put that into consideration, then it might have been the same before too.

They hooked up a sensor to the end of my tailpipe while I was at the dynapack AND dynojet.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #14
ztrack157
Vroom Vroom Beep Beep

Drives: Powered Roller Skate
Send a message via AIM to ztrack157 Send a message via MSN to ztrack157 Send a message via Yahoo to ztrack157
I know this is for blitz owner but I am starting to wonder if Blitz did any R&D on their piggy back for the US yaris or if they just included a xB or Japanese yaris piggyback in the kit.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
LtNoogie

Peter, you need an A/F gauge. If you're measuring 18-19 regularly under boost, soon, one of your videos will sound like...VROOOOMM POP! putt putt putt pffffffff.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #16
PETERPOOP

haha, I know I need a A/F gauge ASAP. but no vrooom pop putt putt here. Compressor will be set to "off" until everything is figuired out. Until then, the number "133" is my new favorite number! ;)
Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
LtNoogie

Those numbers are more in line with what I expected. Get a vacuum/boost gauge while you are at it.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #18
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
Mods- AEM Cold Air Intake, NST Light Weight Pulleys (set), 1ZZ Throttle Body w/Spacer, Weapon R Header, Nitto Midpipe, Tanabe Medallion Touring Axel Back Exhaust

I use 93 Premium Octane from whichever gas station i am closest to when i run out. and Autolite spark plugs that are 2 steps colder than stock.

i havent had any dyno pulls yet but my wideband a/f ratio gauge shows normal readings around 12 at WOT.

boost reading show anywhere from 7 to 9 pounds of boost

WHEN I TOOK MY PVC HOSE OFF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD IT WAS DUMPING WAY TOO MUCH OIL INTO THE MANIFOLD.

going to invest in an oil catch can very soon

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote