Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #19
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I swapped my springs at 135,000km no issues. You can do it whenever. I also replaced my stock shocks/struts w/ new oem ones at 135,000km and to be honest the old ones were a little easier to move than the new ones but they were far from worn out. The Yaris is easy on suspension and I'd say you could get 150,000km out of stock shock no issue.

Once lowering springs are installed this can lead to premature wear of stock shocks due to bottoming out. My recommendation, keep the bump stocks and don't cut them. Sure, you may hit the bump stops earlier and lose an inch or 2 of travel (depending on how many inches you lower) but you'll have the bump stop to save your shock/strut from taking the impact. I only cut my front bump stop by about half an inch and still have a lot left on it to save the shock/strut. No issues hitting bump stops during my rough daily commute on high speed highway wallows.

You should still be fine to get at least 80,000km on oem shocks with lowering springs assuming you don't load the car up with a ton of people or weight and you keep the bump stops stock.

I just installed Tokiko blues on the rear only as I wanted to see if this reduces under steer and I also couldn't find the front's for my Yaris (also lacked the funds). The front's are KYB's I believe and have about 15,000km on them and are fine. I still have the rears I just replaced if you want to buy them off me for cheap down the road.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 AM   #20
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Invest in a header, intake manifold, 1zz throttle body, short ram intake, exhaust, lowering springs and rear sway bar. Then drive it hard.

If you aren't afraid of slamming it into second gear coming off of 70km/h merging onto the highway then this car has more than enough power. Most people are too shy to put the pedal to the floor. If you embrace the high revs and realize that the engine is more than capable to withstand it, than you're good to go.

Remember, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow. Especially a slow car that weighs just over a ton
amen lol

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:38 AM   #21
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650steve View Post
...Also where do i get the flanges for the corolla manifold? Is there a right up on this? I have 3 or 4 junk yards i can hit and try to find some.
I'm nearing completion of my very own Corolla intake manifold, that I'm adapting to work on a Yaris, but progress is slow since this is just a side project for me. I only worked on it when I had some spare time and access to a workshop.

I've reached the point where I just need a welder to weld up a couple of flanges on the Corolla manifold, and I should be done. However, this is all still just prototype since I have no idea if it's going to clear the other engine bay components. (dip-stick, starter, etc.) Further modification might be required.

Still, so far, it hasn't been as hard of a project as I originally thought. (...or as expensive for that matter...)

I might be wrong, but I think another forum user, Rigaud, has already completed one and is currently using it on his car.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #22
sv650steve

Drives: accord (for now)
I did more research and I'm not going to try to fabricate a manifold, it's been done already. I'll probably just do the springs, sway bar, exhaust, and then get the lightweight flywheel, because it seems like they are surefire ways of getting some pep and what i want the car to be. Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not looking for a car. I found one for $3900 with 140k miles on it, seems in good shape, is that a fair price? The guy seems really firm on it.

Last edited by sv650steve; 02-16-2016 at 08:19 PM.
sv650steve is offline   Reply With Quote