Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #145
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
me too! This is....well.. painful, in a funny sort of way?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #146
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
kinda like when you were a kid and you got your first remote control car. I never put mine down, did you? He'll update us soon, I'm sure.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #147
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT

Ok, the car started. It idled rough but we verified that the belt did not disintegrate.

The blower clutch engages and disengages.

Then 5 minutes into idling, my brother yells "stop the engine!"

Fuel injector #2 popped out of the fuel rail and gas went all over the valve cover.

We will have to do a partial disassembly and try to get the injector to fit tighter.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #148
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
:( sorry to hear about it. why didnt the rail sit tight?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #149
LtNoogie

Believe me, we had two fire extinguishers at the ready. That's all we're gonna do for the night. The engine is warmish and I have gas on the valve cover.

Well, I think I held my breath as much as you guys did. I kept yelling at my brother to get his face out of the engine compartment in case something flew out.

I'll post what little pictures I have tonight.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #150
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Congrats on finishing. Sorry it didn't go the first time.

My last injector sprayed fuel 3 times (I think) before we got it seated properly. I then lubed up the o-rings with a bit of WD-40, and it popped on properly. Like I mentioned previously, my Toyota tech said you should always lube the injectors when putting them back onto the rail.

At least, popping off the fuel rail and reseating the injectors doesn't require removing anything else. Just un-snipping the zip ties holding the cable bundle to the rail.

Anyhow, good luck tomorrow when you try again! We'll be waiting!!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #151
LtNoogie

Gosh, the pressure you guys are putting me under is worse than the pressure I already feel!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #152
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
its worst for us cause we are not there to see the start up :(
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #153
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
:( sorry to hear about it. why didnt the rail sit tight?
I don't know much about fuel injectors but ours are plastic things that just push into the fuel rail and are held in place by the o-ring. As Doc has said, you need to lube these with WD-40 before seating them into the fuel rail. I did not do this and I thought that the injectors went in fine. Apparently not.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #154
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
ooh VERY CLOSE now!

I stayed up late, just hoping for an update. Thanks Noogie, I can go sleep now.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:49 AM   #155
LtNoogie

Today, I ran the red wire that had been left in the passenger compartment back through the loom and into the engine compartment. This wire and the last yellow wire are soldered onto the small ECU connector harness.

The covers go back on the ECU harness connectors. I put one of them on backwards so that wasted some time.

HINT: Take as many pictures as you can before you disconnect or tear apart anything. Three days later, it's hard to remember what position it was in when you started.

The two ECU harness connectors are reconnected to the ECU and the ECU is mounted back onto the firewall. Wire loom sections are cut to cover as much bare wire as possible.

The +12V wire is connected to the battery. We don't tie strap anthing down in case we have to take it apart again.

We shine two lights into the engine compartment for five minutes to make sure there are no tools left in there or connectors left unconnected. My brother finds a bracket that had not been re-attached to the throttle body so I attached it.

The fuel pump connector goes back onto the top of the fuel tank back where the 60% seat was. We prime the fuel system per the directions. Position the fire extinguishers within reach.

The S/C control is set to OFF and the car is started. The car starts and all looks and feels good. We start and stop it a few times to make sure the belt is running straight.

Then with the S/C control set to the lowest level, I start the car again and press the throttle part way. We hear the blower clutch engage. I left my Scangauge at home so I don't know what RPM I was at.

A few more presses of the throttle and the car starts to idle roughly. The CEL comes on and the car does not want to idle very well.

I press the throttle part way again and that is when the injector pops out of the fuel rail. There's gas all over that area and we decide not to do anymore testing until tomorrow.

You can just see the fuel injector and it is now partially out of the fuel rail.

Last edited by LtNoogie; 11-26-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:04 AM   #156
LtNoogie

At this point, I doubt that I will take too many more pictures unless something extraordinary happens that need recording. I will continue to post on my progress until it is running and I feel that it is safe enough for me to drive this car home. Eventually, I will make that video for PETERPOOP. You'll probably see me just crawling at walking speed in the parking lot while my brother walks alongside shooting the video. I'll try to hide the fear of a breakdown from my face.

I want to thank, in advance, all of you who have been watching this journey for your moral support. I am constantly amazed at how many views this thread has generated.

Special thanks go to those who did the installation before me and have given me many priceless hints.

I hope that this will prove useful to those who have yet to install their Blitz superchargers. Kurokuma-kun, if you are still watching stealthily, good luck this coming week. Same to you whooppee777.

Last edited by LtNoogie; 11-26-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #157
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
It is scary to fire the thing up for the first time. I went and got a neighbor to watch in the engine compartment and have a hold of the fire extinguisher.
How long was it before you felt comfortable driving on the freeway? 15 minutes later? A day later?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #158
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
continues to take notes.....dont forget spacer b.....duct tape the injectors to the fuel rail

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #159
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Hahhahah... I drove around the block only a few times, and got it out on the freeway about 10 minutes later. Popped the hood just before that to make sure the belt was still good, and there wasn't any weird smells or smoke in the engine bay.

But yeah, for those injectors, we totally thought we had them on fully... pressed and pressed and wiggled and pressed, but still as soon as I started the car, *squirt squirt* all over. You guys are much more safety conscious than I... even though I had an extinguisher in the garage, it definitely wasn't nearby just-in-case!!

Pop that sucker back on, and go make some boost!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #160
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
The next problem I had which was a few weeks later was I blew a belt.
So, when the belt broke, did that strand you? Did you have to be towed home?

Putting the belt on is not the easiest thing, at least for my length of belt.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #161
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
continues to take notes.....dont forget spacer b.....duct tape the injectors to the fuel rail
You may be the one person who gets it done in a day and have time to drive the supercharged Yaris to the movies the same night!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #162
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
nice progress! can't wait for videos!!!! oh yah!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote