Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Southeast
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
good mechanic (central FL)

anyone know a real expert toyota mechanic in central Florida, must be an independant,
no dealer guys.??? top of the line guy who knows the Yaris too..
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
What are you trying to have done?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
doesn't exist as far as i know. honestly i lived near orlando for three years, no one i talked to recommended an independent mechanic. The mechanic i talked to that sounded like he knew the most worked at Wal-mart.

now there has to be someone, and i must have been talking to the wrong people. but i never heard about anyone.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
i know one in a podunk town in Montana..florida is a fkn joke.
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
what are you trying to get done
Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris9876 View Post
i know one in a podunk town in Montana..florida is a fkn joke.
while i wouldn't call it a joke, i would call it an extremely spread out place. Orlando is technically a city, but land wise it is extremely large, so population density is not very high.

Meaning that it is very hard for a good mechanic to be independent and get enough word of mouth to stay that way.

Now there are some great tuners in the area, but i wouldn't want to spend their labor rates to fix my near stock Yaris. Check out http://www.orlandoforums.com/forum/ for more specifics.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I am a good tech but in the Carolinas, tryin to talk the wife into st pete/Clearwater/tampa....Orlando is just about an hour and 15....There has to be some...Any good Toyota tech worked at a dealer at some point in his/her life, so I would talk to a dealer tech, one who has been there for a long time....they would know if anyone left and came out as independents....Once we get our house paid down enough, I am going to make the jump to be a one man show with counter help at most to start....good luck....and hopefully, I can talk the wife into st pete....
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Slowxa

Drives: Super slow xa
Good luck trying to find an honest and professional technician.If you live in orlando you may be able to take it to UTI and let those guys work on it under their teachers supervision.
Slowxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Slowxa

Drives: Super slow xa
florida is full of crooks and self proclaimed mechanics.
Slowxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Im in Savannah, GA, I worked for Toyota for 3 years and Lexus for 5 years. Was a senior tech, was only 1 ASE from Master Tech before I got a job at Gulfstream. Still hasn't answered the original question:

what are you trying to get looked at/fixed?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
I have a great mechanic, but he's in Dunnellon (west of Ocala). Quite a drive if you're looking for something near Orlando.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKellyfan View Post
I am a good tech but in the Carolinas, tryin to talk the wife into st pete/Clearwater/tampa....Orlando is just about an hour and 15....There has to be some...Any good Toyota tech worked at a dealer at some point in his/her life, so I would talk to a dealer tech, one who has been there for a long time....they would know if anyone left and came out as independents....Once we get our house paid down enough, I am going to make the jump to be a one man show with counter help at most to start....good luck....and hopefully, I can talk the wife into st pete....
^^^^^ Good choice! If I ever leave Montgomery County here in Texas, one of the few places in the U.S. I'd think about moving to is Pinellas County...either Dunedin, Safety Harbor, one of the barrier island cities between Clearwater Beach and Pass-a-Grille, or near one of the marinas in St. Pete.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
^^^^^ Good choice! If I ever leave Montgomery County here in Texas, one of the few places in the U.S. I'd think about moving to is Pinellas County...either Dunedin, Safety Harbor, one of the barrier island cities between Clearwater Beach and Pass-a-Grille, or near one of the marinas in St. Pete.
Yeah I have relatives there, grandma, uncle, great aunt, cousins....I have been watching, it floods on occasion, but most hurricanes just brush the area...

I like the Keys too, but nowhere to go when they get hit....

Lots of little shops all over St Pete, I'd like to be one of em one day...
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote