Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #37
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Sam, I'll pop over to turbokits.com and look at the manifold. Have you ever given thought to parting with your manifold?
I bought it for curiosity as well as for insurance. I wasn't able to get in on the RPM long tube header before it went out of production and I'd rather not get stung that way again. You can buy just the manifold directly from TKC if you don't want to go for a full kit. They also offer packages with the manifold, down tube and your choice of turbo. Granted that's designed for the Corolla/Matrix/Vibe platform so the down tube might not be usable as is. I figure that the whole thing will need to be custom built and the manifold is the only pre-fab part I can use for sure.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #38
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
Who's your tuner? I'm far away from a turbo but would love to have someone to talk about it local if I ever get to that point. I feel like after the Baja conversion and a 2zr swap it would be a fun next step. I plan to keep the Yaris until it won't pass safety anymore and that would be from bad body rust as I can fix anything else. Glad so far the rust has stayed away.
I've spoken twice with Danny from JD Racing in Trois-Ruisseaux. Seems like a very knowledgeable fella.

Lay the oil to the Yaris and you'll never have to deal with rust. I can tell you all the spots to hit. In fact, I just had my '08 up on the hoist today and gave it another blast of Proform.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #39
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Cool. I wish I had access to a hoist. I have to do everything on stands.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #40
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
Cool. I wish I had access to a hoist. I have to do everything on stands.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Yeah, I do a lot of my stuff on jackstands in my garage, sometimes for rustproofing too. I did my swap in the garage with the car jacked about 18" in the air. Getting the hoist at work is hit and miss. Just before I bring my '06 out in the spring, I'll be doing rustproofing touch ups in the garage with spray cans.

With regard to the turbo, Danny at JD Racing strongly recommends against the AEM FIC in favour of a standalone due to issues with FIC tuning. He says that fuel trims cannot be manipulated in any meaningful way and that the FIC and car's ECU will constantly fighting eachother. I was surprised by this as I've read about successful prepacked turbo kit installs from MWR and tubrokits.com.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-03-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #41
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Yeah, I do a lot of my stuff on jackstands in my garage, sometimes for rustproofing too. I did my swap in the garage with the car jacked about 18" in the air. Getting the hoist at work is hit and miss. Just before I bring my '06 out in the spring, I'll be doing rustproofing touch ups in the garage with spray cans.

With regard to the turbo, Danny at JR Racing strongly recommends against the AEM FIC in favour of a standalone due to issues with FIC tuning. He says that fuel trims cannot be manipulated in any meaningful way and that the FIC and car's ECU will constantly fighting eachother. I was surprised by this as I've read about successful prepacked turbo kit installs from MWR and tubrokits.com.
Yea, not news I want to hear. I have plans to install one of them nifty tkc kits.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #42
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Yea, not news I want to hear. I have plans to install one of them nifty tkc kits.
I looked into complete standalone stuff for my pipe dream twin charged 1NZ build and decided that the way to go was a MegaSquirt DIYPNP with the ECU connector from an Echo/MR2 so that I can use the original wire harness and connectors. They don't offer a kit for the Yaris/xD/Corolla ECU connector, so you'd have to fabricate something else. No idea if you'd pass emissions inspection with that since it's only rated for off-road use, but I would tend to think you wouldn't.

Holy crap, they're discontinuing a LOT of those connectors. I should probably get off my ass and buy one before they're gone!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #43
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I looked into complete standalone stuff for my pipe dream twin charged 1NZ build and decided that the way to go was a MegaSquirt DIYPNP with the ECU connector from an Echo/MR2 so that I can use the original wire harness and connectors. They don't offer a kit for the Yaris/xD/Corolla ECU connector, so you'd have to fabricate something else. No idea if you'd pass emissions inspection with that since it's only rated for off-road use, but I would tend to think you wouldn't.

Holy crap, they're discontinuing a LOT of those connectors. I should probably get off my ass and buy one before they're gone!
I know megasquirt is a fav amongst the vw crowd. Emissions I'm not concerned about as the testing is extinct here in Ontario as of April. Score!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #44
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
If you want to run MS and maintain the VVT it's not cheap, I think you'll need MS3 pro.

I'm going to ditch the VVT and use Microsquirt V2.2 on the Echo.

I was just thinking of posting a wanted ad for a stock computer for the case and connector

Last edited by suprf1y; 01-28-2019 at 12:47 PM.
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #45
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
If you want to run MS and maintain the VVT it's not cheap, I think you'll need MS3 pro.

I'm going to ditch the VVT and use Microsquirt V2.2 on the Echo.

I was just thinking of posting a wanted ad for a stock computer for the case and connector
I think we're getting off track here for the original topic, but I took a look down the rabbit hole of VVTi on a megasquirt. Looks like there's out-of-the-box support for it on the MS3 Pro, but it may be possible to do something with the MicroSquirt if you know what kind of PWM to generate for the cam solenoids and understand how to build the supporting electronics for the variable reluctance (VR) sensors. Definitely outside of my area of experience right now but if you're gonna build real racecars, you have to learn this stuff. =)

As far as the connector goes, you can get one online for less than US$15. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...w7vTC0RkzXE%3d
Old 02-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #46
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
I bought it for curiosity as well as for insurance. I wasn't able to get in on the RPM long tube header before it went out of production and I'd rather not get stung that way again. You can buy just the manifold directly from TKC if you don't want to go for a full kit. They also offer packages with the manifold, down tube and your choice of turbo. Granted that's designed for the Corolla/Matrix/Vibe platform so the down tube might not be usable as is. I figure that the whole thing will need to be custom built and the manifold is the only pre-fab part I can use for sure.
Don't know how I missed this response, Sam. Thanks for it. Yes, I did see the smaller package kits at turbokits. I figured that the downpipe would work as a stock manifold for the Corolla fits and I assumed they would have maintained close dimensions. That said, having never looked under a Corolla, I'm not sure how much more room there is as compared to the Yaris. And, the diameter of the down pipe apprears significantly larger. My first concern is whether or not the manifold and turbo would actually be small enough to fit between the head and firewall, and have enough clearance for engine movement.

I agree with you that a kit for this configuration (2ZR in Yaris) is probably going to have to be mostly custom and therefore likely very expensive. Also, as far as electronic management of the system, from what I've been reading, the AEM FIC - which is more affordable - is less than ideal when compared to a standalone ecu. That alone could add close to $1000.00 to a project.

I see that a member here has a Camcon for sale and apparently it can adjust fuel and timing, but I think I read that it only works for VVTi, not Dual VVTi. Do you know anything about the Camcon?

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-03-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #47
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Don't know how I missed this response, Sam. Thanks for it. Yes, I did see the smaller package kits at turbokits. I figured that the downpipe would work as a stock manifold for the Corolla fits and I assumed they would have maintained close dimensions. That said, having never looked under a Corolla, I'm not sure how much more room there is as compared to the Yaris. And, the diameter of the down pipe apprears significantly larger. My first concern is whether or not the manifold and turbo would actually be small enough to fit between the head and firewall, and have enough clearance for engine movement.
Agreed. 2.25 is plenty big enough for NA, 2.5 is probably fine for mild boost. No idea what 3" would do, but they made it for this engine so I'm assuming they know what they're doing. =D

Quote:
I agree with you that a kit for this configuration (2ZR in Yaris) is probably going to have to be mostly custom and therefore likely very expensive. Also, as far as electronic management of the system, from what I've been reading, the AEM FIC - which is more affordable - is less than ideal when compared to a standalone ecu. That alone could add close to $1000.00 to a project.
You could take a gamble and buy the Corolla kit and do some mods to it. Not the best idea since you'd need to redesign a fair bit of it.

Quote:
I see that a member here has a Camcon for sale and apparently it can adjust fuel and timing, but I think I read that it only works for VVTi, not Dual VVTi. Do you know anything about the Camcon?
Not familiar with those. Lots of conflicting info about piggybacking on a Toyota ECU, specifically if you can actually wrest control of the fuel trims from the ECU or if you just fight it for a few months and then reset the OEM unit.