Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #1
SeriousBlack

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS HB
URGENT - CAPACITOR QUESTION

Question for anyone with a capacitor with digital voltmeter display...is the led display supposed to stay on after the ignition is turned off or does this mean the dipsh-t at BestBuy installed it improperly and my battery's gonna drain overnight?

I have a Kaption Audio 1.2 farad cap.

Appreciate the replies.
SeriousBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
BlueFlash
wa do dem

Drives: 2007 blue Lb
yes because it is ran straight to the batt but it should turn off when it is fully charged it wont drain ur batt either way because the the amp is off the stored electricity isnt being used
Old 06-25-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
SeriousBlack

I'm running on a couple of hours sleep so excuse my slow uptake. You're saying the battery won't drain as there's no power going to my amp, correct?

I've heard some caps' displays stay on and simply draw the milliamps used to light the display? Anyone else have such an animal and what has their experience been?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
In my past experience there should be like a turn on switch like one that runs to an amp from a cd player that turns it off and on with with the key, but I cant remember for sure when I had my capacitor it was like 6 years ago.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Many caps with readouts don't have a remote turn-on/off wire, so will keep on displaying all the time. At worst it's going to draw a few milliamps (maybe 20mA or so), so it's nothing to worry about - it'd take 400+ years to drain an average 80Ah car battery, or about 80x longer than what the battery will actually last anyway :)
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
SeriousBlack

This morning - expecting the worst but hoping for the best - I noticed the display went off on its own, probably several hours after shutting off the car. No battery or discharge issues, thankfully. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
no problem. I have seen an old one blow up before when a guy discharged it incorrectly.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote