Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Drives: White YRX 5DR Hatchback 2006
Lowering Springs - Questions ~ AGAIN ~

I posted reply this in the Australia section but I wanted more replies and suggestions ~ SO here goes ~

Hey guys ~

It was really good reading your entries ~ I was planning to pay $460 to have King's lowering springs installed with the installation fee ~ You guys reminded me of eBay ~

I have no money ATM and I need to do Tinting as well ~ So I wasn't ready to pay $460 ~ I think I might know a mate who can do it for me for cheap ~

Tanabe's good? or TRD springs? I just want good springs at a good price and I want no MORE than 40mm drop......I have a YRX......anymore drop and I will scratch her ~

I'm a girl so I don't even PLAN on installing the springs myself but I do know about cars and what I'm doing......that's all I can be sure about ~ I even be able to install myself but I just don't have the money to buy kits and probably no time either ~ Any suggestions on the spring brand and models ~ Thanks ~

BTW......what do you guys say about Fabric Protection and Paint Protection......good/worth the money or waste of money? Need lots of suggestions please ~ Thanks ~

Jaspie ~
jaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
jookybanana
1NZ-FE all day long

Drives: HS13, NCP91, GE8
is that $460 australia currency? not sure how that converts to, but tanabe springs are cheap, i think they are cheaper than trd spring? the df210 is $155usd + shpping and probably $100 to install, and its no more than 40mm drop and by the looks of your avatar you have the oem aero, so it will look very nice lowered
jookybanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Forget tinting - get heat reflective film instead, at least your car would be genuinely cooler in the Australian summer heat!

Changing the springs on this car is a fairly involving 2 hour process by one mechanic, most of it spent on the front end of the car. The strut tops are sitting under the windscreen wiper panels, therefore the wipers and its ancillaries have to come off before you can get to the strut tops.

Thereafter it is a straightforward process of dropping out the shocks, using a spring compressor to undo the springs and replacing them. The rears are dead easy and you essentially remove the retaining bolt on the rear shock absorber to swing the torsion beam bar far enough down to release the spring from its cradle.

After all that suspension work you should budget to send the car in for alignment, disassembling the front suspension bits tends to make the car's geometry go off a bit. Plus, the anticipated lower ride height also brings about a geometry change on its own.

I am not sure if TRD = TTE springs, but my TTE springs list for around AUD$450.

Spring compressor

Front spring comparison

Rear spring comparison
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Forget tinting - get heat reflective film instead, at least your car would be genuinely cooler in the Australian summer heat!

Changing the springs on this car is a fairly involving 2 hour process by one mechanic, most of it spent on the front end of the car. The strut tops are sitting under the windscreen wiper panels, therefore the wipers and its ancillaries have to come off before you can get to the strut tops.

Thereafter it is a straightforward process of dropping out the shocks, using a spring compressor to undo the springs and replacing them. The rears are dead easy and you essentially remove the retaining bolt on the rear shock absorber to swing the torsion beam bar far enough down to release the spring from its cradle.

After all that suspension work you should budget to send the car in for alignment, disassembling the front suspension bits tends to make the car's geometry go off a bit. Plus, the anticipated lower ride height also brings about a geometry change on its own.

I am not sure if TRD = TTE springs, but my TTE springs list for around AUD$450.

Spring compressor

Front spring comparison

Rear spring comparison
Where can I get heat reflective film ~ That's my main purpose.....get rid of that heat ~ Do i need to do it myself or?

Thanks for the explanation ~ 2 hours.....it'll probably take my 5 hours ~ Hehe ~

I'm hoping I can get a friend to do it for me ~ So I won't need to pay so much ~

I want my car to be low ^_^ ~

BTW.....yes that is AU$460 ~ King's springs + Installation ~ Also.....I can't seem to find any Lowering springs on eBay for the Yaris ~ Any help please ~

Jaspie ~
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Where I am (Singapore) they are called solar film. V-kool is supposed to be the best, but is also the costliest. It costs around A$800 to do all the windows on the car. They reflect heat without screening out too much light, so you can still see out.

http://www.v-kool.com.au/automotive.html

I don't recommend you try to change springs on the car yourself. Get a workshop to do it. I don't want the car too low, there are killer humps and potholes scattered around the streets of Brisbane. ;)

Can't help you with regard to eBay springs but I recommend you get the springs fitted from the shop where you bought them. Good luck!
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Where I am (Singapore) they are called solar film. V-kool is supposed to be the best, but is also the costliest. It costs around A$800 to do all the windows on the car. They reflect heat without screening out too much light, so you can still see out.

http://www.v-kool.com.au/automotive.html

I don't recommend you try to change springs on the car yourself. Get a workshop to do it. I don't want the car too low, there are killer humps and potholes scattered around the streets of Brisbane. ;)

Can't help you with regard to eBay springs but I recommend you get the springs fitted from the shop where you bought them. Good luck!
Well.....I checked online today for the window tinting ~ I found a package (includes window tint, paint protection and fabric protetion) for AU$390 and they use 3M film which I know is pretty good too ~ I'm going to go in tomorrow and ask about a few more stuff ~

Yea.....I don't plan on doing the springs myself ~ AU$460 for springs and installation and I heard King's springs use to really suck but after they fixed themselves up and re-organised the factory.....I heard King's springs are pretty reliable now ~

Will keep you guys updated ~

Jaspie ~
Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Just remember mirror tinting is actually illegal in Australia... Solace just does those Forumale 1 what-cha-ma-call-it tint.

cleong, TRD Sportivo <> TTE <> TRD USA

As I said in the other post, don't touch Kings at all. It's still a company that pitches their crap to kids with no idea. I'd rather chop the springs than put Kings in. As for low, I have the full TRD sportivo kit and the body kit on them makes you VERY conscious of the front lip. I've scratched the underside already even though I've tried very hard to avoid anything remotely high.

Both these cars have been lowered with TRD Sportivo full suspension kit which is the shocks and springs.

Do it once, do it right. That's how Toyotas are built.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #8
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu View Post
Just remember mirror tinting is actually illegal in Australia... Solace just does those Forumale 1 what-cha-ma-call-it tint.

cleong, TRD Sportivo <> TTE <> TRD USA

As I said in the other post, don't touch Kings at all. It's still a company that pitches their crap to kids with no idea. I'd rather chop the springs than put Kings in. As for low, I have the full TRD sportivo kit and the body kit on them makes you VERY conscious of the front lip. I've scratched the underside already even though I've tried very hard to avoid anything remotely high.

Both these cars have been lowered with TRD Sportivo full suspension kit which is the shocks and springs.

Do it once, do it right. That's how Toyotas are built.
Wow.....YRX's ~ Love them.....now wouldn't that look nice if my Lil White was next to those ^_^ ~ Hmmm....so you REALLY don't recommend King's ~ Where can I get TRD springs or Tanabe ones? For a good price?

Thanks for the help ~

Jaspie ~
Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #9
SmellyTofu
好多人&amp;

Drives: .
I actually got a friend to do me a favour to get it for me direct from Japan. There was a guy I saw selling a set but was just sold (the full kit). Went for $900.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #10
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu View Post
I actually got a friend to do me a favour to get it for me direct from Japan. There was a guy I saw selling a set but was just sold (the full kit). Went for $900.
Hmmm.....I see ~ I just want the lowering springs though not the whole set ~

Will take a look around ~

Jaspie ~