Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
endmp

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris LB
New hatchback owner... looking to buy rims/springs asap

... just bought my yaris 2 days ago.. now im going aftermarket crazy browsing on net lol... I read alot of ur forum today just on suspensiona dn rims etc... but I have some concerns about wheel size, wheel weight, springs and camber kit recomendations and what would go perfectly together....

i'm thinking... 18" rims with TRD springs... but.. I noticed people saying heavy rims craps on my performance... I notice now my car is "peppy" even theough its only 100.. HP but... if I get 18.. will i be unsatisfied with my response from my car.. or should i not make a big deal about it since i already new it had low horsepower in the first place...

basically if I get 18" and drop it.. am I nerfing my car?
Does looks out way the response?

thank you ^^
endmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by endmp View Post
Does looks out way the response?
that is for you to decide, and with 18's you will just be a little slower(not expecting much there in the first place) and might lose some gas milage. but the car will still be drivable, and if it looks super sexy does it matter?
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 AM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive View Post
that is for you to decide, and with 18's you will just be a little slower(not expecting much there in the first place) and might lose some gas milage. but the car will still be drivable, and if it looks super sexy does it matter?
Agreed. Personal preference. I personally want 17's because they sit so nice under this car, but, I bought the car for mileage so I probably won't get them. Tanabe NF210's I will however do.

Congrats on your purchase.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:38 AM   #4
endmp

thanks for your reponses guys... I'm not big on tuning... and I probably missed this lesson on how rim size changes gas mileage... if you could break it down a lil for me so I could understand more of what u mean i would greatly appretiate it ^^
Old 12-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well, 18" rims as well as an intake and exhaust should cancel out

And yeah, this car dropped and with some nice rims is beyond sexy, just look at my garage

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by endmp View Post
thanks for your reponses guys... I'm not big on tuning... and I probably missed this lesson on how rim size changes gas mileage... if you could break it down a lil for me so I could understand more of what u mean i would greatly appretiate it ^^
Basically, a bigger, heavier rim has more inertia, and takes more energy to get it to spin up, and slow down too. So, this extra energy is basically converted from your acceleration and braking potential.

Easiest way to demonstrate this... play "spin the bottle" with an empty bottle and one full of water. The one with water in it takes a bit more effort to get it moving, and will keep moving longer than the empty one.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
IMHO, A Yaris has no business being on anything over a 17 inch rim. I've been rim shopping for the spring for months, and I won't even look at a 17. 15's or 16's for me.

I'm also not a fan of the super low profile tire thing. My ride quality is crappy enough with TRD shocks and springs. I could only imagine how much I'd bounce around on some low pro's. Fill your wheel well with rubber, not metal.

You may think I'm crazy, but just go look at bigsky2's Yaris. You'll catch my drift.

With the simple exhaust and intake upgrades and a few other goodies, Yarii can be relatively quick for such a small car. Of course, you could negate that really quick with some heavy ass rims. Your choice. Looks or performance?

Oh, and welcome to the family.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i'd go 15's..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
endmp

My other car...

1987 Toyota Supra..gas guzzzinlin bastard.. hahaha but I love it also... My rims are different though.. ^^
One thing that really got me looking at this ride is ... Weight... and size.. I really want to keep good handling ... but I also want good grip... My family says I drive like someone's chasing me lol... waaaah I had 17" on my supra... and I regret because I got too small of a size and there is a big gap.... I figured that with TRD springs which on the trd dealerships they say fit almost exactly the same as Factory speczzz... just with a a more progressive look... Because the drop is such a minimal change I didn' want to have a huge gap... thats why im looking at 18"... otherwise I would go Tien DF's and but quality of the ride I kno dramatically changes the lower u go aswell as increase cambering so wear and tear goes up... This is just what I been thinking.... I may be totally wrong... because I have yet to try to install them... but thats why this forum exists and I hope I get more feedback if my thinking is totally obscured or on point... Thank You ^^

Btw... ur opinions would be greatly apreiated.. I narrrowed it down to a couple rims...
please let me know which you guys like ^^

These rims on this car...

Old 12-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
endmp

im kinda leaning toward 2 or 5... 2 because the more i read what u guys say I'm leaning more to a lighter weight rim... and 5 well its carbon fiber outside mwahhahahaha.. just looks pretty tight ^^ been loking for a while... how many carbon fiber rims have you seen ?
Old 12-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Don't forget, in addition to weight, increasing tire width will increase rolling and wind resistence, so highway MPG can really suffer.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #12
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
why not a quality wheel?

www.goodwinracing.com ?
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:43 AM   #13

Drives: 07 yaris
i went with 16" koning feathers, falken 615s with DF210 springs on TRD shocks the ride is nice not bouncy at all but firm and with the tires it feels like a roller coaster in the turns.
501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
nice
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #15
raz0rbladez909

Drives: 3 door yaris
those aren't even carbon fiber, its that "carbon fiber look" or carbon fiber wrapped but that in no way makes it carbon fiber wheels. buy some quality wheels dude like volks, works, 5zigen, advan or something along those lines, you'll thank yourself in the long run cuz knockoffs are just that knock offs and will probably break on you when you least expect it. but if you only care about looks then i guess the quality doesnt matter so much to each his own but if i could do it all over again i'd be rolling on some Volk Te37 cups in a 16x7 sexxxxyyy time niceeeee
raz0rbladez909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
We live in a time where "dubs" or "22's" are the thing right now, and Ive almost been forced to put 18's on my car one way I found a way around putting 18's and not losing anything is finding the weight of the rim and the tire compared to the stock steel 15' and tire, thats also a thought
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #17
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I bought 20's. Obviously theyre heavier and larger diameter than stock but overall I was somewhat surprised at the difference from stock.

I weighed both the old set of steel 14 rims and the 20's (Ive searched two sites top to bottom and cannot find those figures again except the weight of the 20's)

The 20's were just shy of 45lbs (tire and wheel)
If I remember correctly the 14's were around 30lbs

The larger wheels were lighter than advertised. I can imagine the 15" steel rims would be a few pounds heavier than the 14's.

15lbs of rotating mass at each corner is still lots but 16's or 17's should be approx the same weight as stocks - anyone have any off the car they could weigh up?
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 AM   #18
Yaris TTE JWRC

Drives: 07 5spd red Yaris HB 1.5L 16V
I will go with 17s, Yaris is a line-4 1.5L supcompact, 18s are for full size cars, anything beyond 18s are for trucks and SUVs
Yaris TTE JWRC is offline   Reply With Quote