Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 PM   #37
07yaris_fe

Drives: 07 Yaris HB RS
New Question.......... please help
07yaris_fe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #38
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07yaris_fe
New Question.......... please help
and the question is?
anyway... being that our headlights have to built in reflector in front of the bulb, is a projector necessary?

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #39
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Full write up coming soon...

For now, my H4 HIDs.

They are AMAZING at night!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6500k HIDs 006.jpg (25.0 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris HID 001.jpg (37.4 KB, 452 views)
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #40
Ryosuke

Drives: yaris
I have h4 8000k HID's in my car. It lights like a stadium

Old 06-17-2006, 09:31 PM   #41
eight_heads

what brand bulbs and ballast did you guys use? and do you guys have just low beams or are they bixenon? and any projectors?

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 06-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #42
kty75

Drives: 07 yaris 5dr RS auto
what with the daytime light ? still there ?
kty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #43
Ryosuke

Drives: yaris
I have just low beams, and my ballast are Hella. No proyectors. I hope to mount another kit in the fog lights next month.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 PM   #44
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryosuke
I have h4 8000k HID's in my car. It lights like a stadium

yeah, but how's your Horizon-tal Cutoff?? how consistent is the beam pattern, is it brighter in some spots that others, how about glare being casted off of the OEM yaris reflector and plastic headlight lense? can you see the beam clearly in the plastic lense or does it emit through without any visible light diminishment...
bright as a stadium only means you're BLINDING ONCOMING TRAFFIC!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieSleeps
It's just an online forum man. It's like I called your baby retarded and kicked him down the stairs.

Telling someone to buy 100 dollar bulbs that will decrease your visible light is pretty stupid. If you really knew anything about lighting, you wouldn't spend 200 bucks on filtered headlights and foglight bulbs, nor would you recommend it to other people.
I agree, purchasing any bulb for the 'effect' is pretty lame. And, i think what SophieSleeps is saying about PIAA's is that they COULD be brighter IF they didn't coat the bulb with a blue film to PLEASE the ricers... if you removed that blue film you'd probably free up another 5-10% light...but PIAA makes what people wanna buy..ricer bulbs :P
The only right way to get the blue effect is an HID swap, but I SERIOUSLY don't recommend anything less than a complete swap with either a PROJECTOR setup from an OEM car (bixenons BMW, Infiniti Q45 "gatling gun" xenonsk,etc) OR a good "Casper Shield" or something to give you a good Horizontal Cutoff so that you're not blinding everyone else on the streets.

BTW, Sophie, that headlight setup on the Altezza is FARKING SWEET!!! you gotta show me how you mounted those led's for the turn signals!! Were you on Clublexus.com or Lexusownersclub.com??? I use to frequent them and used their help to modify the Q45 Xenons into my lexus GS (that already had xenons's ,haha). That IS300 looks familiar, very sweet setup..

for $35 i was able to purchase Sylvania Silverstar bulbs that not only give me much brighter, crisper, whiter light output (as opposed to OEM) and an even beam pattern, but also allow me to AVOID losing my warranty on the electric system. BTW, did you guys make sure to change out to the fuses or are you still running the same Fuse Setup from your stock headlight bulbs?? please tell me you've done your homework (Physics - Electrical to be specific) cuz if you don't you're likely to burn out your whole wiring system..try explaining that to your parents :P and Toyota's Warranty department

Last edited by TRD_Yaris; 06-19-2006 at 12:12 AM.
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:35 AM   #45
eight_heads

i thought hids pulled less power and amperage than stock bulbs...?

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #46
JDMVitz
Obsessive Detailer

Drives: JDM
So has anyone from Canada successfully installed HIDs? I read that running the HID with DRL during the day time could really affect the longevity of the bulbs and the ballast.
JDMVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:51 AM   #47
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
i thought hids pulled less power and amperage than stock bulbs...?
Correct, about 35w.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #48
Supa Lao

Drives: '03 Murano SL AWD
I started buying some parts for my HID retrofit. I got some e46 bi-xenon projectors coming. Now all I gotta do is find some bulb and ballast for cheap. I'm trying to get all the parts I need for the retrofit before I get the car. I hope the car comes in sometime this year
Old 06-23-2006, 07:07 PM   #49
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Thats a great start Supa, you are sure to have one unique setup when its finished. Me, I took the easy way out, and tested a new kit for a buddy's company, and I am VERY happy with the results!

I have HIDs on everything, from our cars and trucks, right down to the quads! HIDs rock!!!!

Here's a few more.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris HIDs 008.jpg (28.8 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris HIDs 009.jpg (36.5 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg 6500k HIDs 006.jpg (25.0 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg Yaris HID 008.jpg (39.7 KB, 423 views)

Last edited by Chris07LB; 06-23-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #50
Supa Lao

That's not a bad beam pattern, Chris. There doesn't look like there's much glare above the cut off. Any more pics from farther away on a wall? Did you get a hi/low kit? Is that a 6000k kit?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:24 PM   #51
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Lao
That's not a bad beam pattern, Chris. There doesn't look like there's much glare above the cut off. Any more pics from farther away on a wall? Did you get a hi/low kit? Is that a 6000k kit?
I was actually very suprised at how good the cutoff was, for being a non-projector housing! I did adjust the lights down just a hair (half a turn counter clockwise), just because i "thought" they might be a little high.

I do a lot of commuting, hence the purchase of this car, and at night and early morning, it is just unreal how much of the road is lit up!

You need to keep in mind, our headlights are designed to focus the light off the deflector, towards the inner side of the headlight housing.. NOT from directly in the center. My Yaris shop manual describes this all with a picture, showing how its designed, and how it all works. Maybe thats why the cut off stays so good, compared to other non-HID headlight housing retro fits.

BTW - they are actually 6500k's I am testing, but they look more like 6000ks, with just a hint of purple at warmup.
My parking lights are also LED's, being tested for the same company. Brighter then ANYTHING else we have seen on the market!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:33 PM   #52
Supa Lao

Ah...I didn't know the the light reflects from sides.
Only reason why I'm retrofitting some projectors in there is because I'm already going to open up the headlights to paint them, so I figure why I'm in there might as well add some projectors for better lighting. I've never done it before so this is going to be my first time. I'll take lots of pics for a write up.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #53
eight_heads

yeah, i figured the fact that we have the bulb reflectors already in there would help us out with not needing projectors like most light setups... i'm just trying to decide whether or not go with hids or just get some sylvania silverstars..

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
Old 06-24-2006, 05:01 AM   #54
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
yeah, i figured the fact that we have the bulb reflectors already in there would help us out with not needing projectors like most light setups... i'm just trying to decide whether or not go with hids or just get some sylvania silverstars..
All comes down to how much you want to spend. Either will be better then the stock lightning, but the Silverstars will never be as bright as the HIDs.

There are other alternatives to brighter lighting, besides Silverstars. Just please dont put blue tinted glass bulbs in there! Worse light output, and looks... well.... eh.