Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
I bought my car used, how am I able to tell if my car has ABS?
You drive to the edge of the Grand Canyon and lay down about 2 tons of axel grease along the lip. Drive approximately 1/4 mile away from the lip, turn around and head back towards the lip at a 90 degree angle doing about 80 miles per hour exactly at the spot where the grease was spread- you then hit the brakes very very hard right before you reach the lip.

If you can stop successfully before plunging to your gruesome death you probably have ABS!

This is referred to by technicians as testing ABS- "the hard way or sometimes the Thelma and Louise test",

Hope this helps.......or alternatively you can try what technicians call "the easy way" by looking at your instrument cluster to see if it houses an ABS light!

Last edited by Lewis; 09-03-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Here's an interesting starting point:
http://www.abs-education.org/faqs/faqindex.htm
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Smile

I like my way better Echo_hrs!
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #22
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Resurrecting an old thread here - has anyone ever determined how much needs to be retrofitted to put ABS on a non-ABS LB? I've found the pump/control modules for affordable prices, but wondering how much else has to be added, or if the entire braking system is different? Was this a strictly-factory option, or added at the port-of-entry?
It would require the 4 wheel speed sensors (and wiring), the ABS ECU, the Brake Actuator Assembly, a new cluster (if you want the indicator).

I don't think the ECM needs to be changed or reflashed. The reason I say that is that the EPC doesn't specifically indicate a different ECM for ABS.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #23
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
I've always been surprised at the negative reactions to ABS, as well. Personally I would much rather have a car equipped with ABS than one without, mostly because I realize the limits of my own ability. I'm a frequent autoxer and would like to think that I am at least an average driver. I know that there's a difference between threshold braking around a cone course where I'm looking ahead and anticipating each corner and when someone stops dead in the middle of a freeway, though. I also know that having one brake pedal means a 4-channel ABS system can deal with a situation where I've got two tires on an ice slick and two on wet pavement better than I can.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
I love the crap these driving schools "Teach". "Stomp Stay Clear" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5KDvXbE3M Unreal.