Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
logoris

Drives: 2017 Yaris SE Blue Streak
17 intake

On the factory intake there is a second filter built into the housing is it necessary and if not will I get any gains in fuel economy or performance.

Also has anyone noticed the the hole on the snorkel that sucks hot air.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
logoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Quote:
Originally Posted by logoris View Post
On the factory intake there is a second filter built into the housing is it necessary and if not will I get any gains in fuel economy or performance.

Also has anyone noticed the the hole on the snorkel that sucks hot air.

I did notice and I ripped that sucker right out. I didn’t notice any gains in fuel economy but my butt dyno says yes, I gained a few more HP. I saw the snorkel does do that and when I get some more money I’ll probably do a cold air intake. If you do rip out the charcoal filter, be careful because you just committed an ecological crime and the hairy legged women will find you and enslave you.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
logoris

Drives: 2017 Yaris SE Blue Streak
Good to know, I did try blocking the hole off with some ducting tape and it seems to suck harder on the snorkel.

Is there any way to properly remove it or just stab and cut

logoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Leave it in there. Our emission laws require it, and you really won't notice anything appreciable by removing it.

We have so many discussions on here about the perceived restriction caused by this charcoal filter.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Leave it in there. Our emission laws require it, and you really won't notice anything appreciable by removing it.

We have so many discussions on here about the perceived restriction caused by this charcoal filter.

I respect your view on leaving it in, however what difference is there from ripping it out and going to buy a cold air intake or k&n intake? I don’t live in California and I know that those other intakes don’t incorporate the charcoal filter. Just curious.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Anyone with an aftermarket SRI or CAI who is subject to emission testing typically has to swap the OE air box back in for the test or risk possible failure on visual inspection.

I just don't see the point in punching out the charcoal filter when, over the years here, it has not really proven to be a beneficial "mod".