Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Expressions and Explanations thread.

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread with expressions or sayings.

For example.

"It's so cold it would freeze the balls off a brass monkey"

It's a saying we've all used for years, we all just thought it was crass. But in an email I received today I found out the real meaning behind the saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by email
It was necessary to keep a good supply of cannon balls near the cannon on old war ships. But how to prevent them from rolling about the deck was the Problem. The best storage method devised was to stack them as a square Based pyramid, with one ball on top, resting on four, resting on nine, Which rested on sixteen.

Thus, a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area Right next to the cannon. There was only one problem -- how to prevent the Bottom layer from sliding/rolling from under the others.

The solution was a metal plate with 16 round indentations, called, for Reasons unknown, a Monkey. But if this plate were made of iron, the Iron balls would quickly rust to it. The solution to the rusting problem was To make them of brass - hence, Brass Monkeys.

Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled.. Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far, the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally, cold enough to freeze the balls off a Brass monkey. And all this time, you thought that was just a vulgar Expression, didn't you?
So please post expressions you use and there meanings in this thread. We may all learn something from each other.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote