Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #1
Zombiesrock

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue
Mouse Problems!

Hello All! I have been trying to get rid of mice for months. They started entering my car (one at a time at least) in May when all the rain happened here in Texas. I found where they were coming in. Through the fire wall into the blower fan area and then having a field day living in my car. I took of the wipers and plastics from the outside and there was a vent that i covered in metal screen so they couldn't get in. That worked for a bit then i found out they could get in from those air pressure release vents? (not sure what they are called) that are in the back of the car below the taillights. I removed both of those and completely patched and sealed the holes. My entire car has been without interior since May as I ripped it all out to find the little thing. I dont want to use poison to kill it so i was successful in trapping them using the humane traps and releasing them far from my home. I live in the woods so i know this is going to keep happening. Can they get in any where else? I was looking today and was wondering if they could get in where the steering column goes outside the car. My husband and i have looked everywhere but have had no luck. Oh and i know they have been in my headliner as i heard it crawling up there and that is how i found out i had mice in the first place. I have a 2007 LB. Sorry for the long post and thank you for the help!
Zombiesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Those are the only two places unless they chew through some of the plugs or the large rubber grommet behind the battery.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
bairjo

This might work...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...c2cBJb2hahGM6A
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
Peppermint oil soaked cotton balls.
For under the hood, hang a tea infuser with the cotton inside.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Sprinkle a good amount of ground black pepper on the ground where you park the car . Move car and put it back over the treated area . Repeat if reoccurs . Keep doing this until it stops . Worked for us . Good luck .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You better get used to dealing death if you want to keep mice out of your car. In winter they will eat the insulation off the wires. Good finding and fixing the havoc that will cause.

Its a war dude. Take no prisoners!

Peanut butter is your friend. Mice cant resist traps baited with it. Poison will allow them to retreat to an interior space and die, stinking up the car. But that's better than them eating wires and causing shorts that are difficult to find. A mechanical killing trap on the front seat baited with PB is your best bet.But I would set out poison and sticky traps too.

KILL! KILL! KILL!
Old 09-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Zombiesrock

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue
Thanks everyone for the ideas! Is there a better way to seal the outside air intake (for the air conditioner) ? i am going to check it again this weekend to make sure they have not gotten through it. I siliconed window screen to the inside of that black plastic intake piece that you get to from the engine bay(that was the only way i could figure to do it). I am going to try ammonia and pepper and peppermint oil! I don't know if i will be able to bring myself to kill them but i will still keep trapping them and letting them go somewhere else. hopefully i can keep them from wanting in my car with the smells.
Zombiesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
bairjo

Get a cat.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote