Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Front Fender Separation - updated

My first problem with the car .. aggravated by a 4K mile roadtrip and some very rough roads

I didn't hit or get hit by anything the clips just failed.

I'm not sure if the warranty is 2 or 3 years?

I'll take it to the dealer next week.

Update - my dealer was fairly worthless and even though the 3 year warranty still applies their only solution was take it to a body shop at my expense. I might try some of those super epoxy products out there.

Last edited by justanotherdrunk; 09-01-2018 at 10:55 AM.
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
There have been a few Gen3 owners on here complaining about this issue. No impact involved, just random popping out.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
My first problem with the car .. aggravated by a 4K mile roadtrip and some very rough roads

I didn't hit or get hit by anything the clips just failed.

I'm not sure if the warranty is 2 or 3 years?

I'll take it to the dealer next week.

As aggrivating as it is, it’s common and minor. My 2016 did the same thing. I took it back to the dealer and they put an adheasive on the clips and set it correctly in the right spot. Never had a problem again until I pulled the front bumper off myself to swap something out. Now its seperating again. I’m debating taking it in or going down to the local auto parts store to get some JB Weld and do it myself.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
As aggrivating as it is, it’s common and minor. My 2016 did the same thing. I took it back to the dealer and they put an adheasive on the clips and set it correctly in the right spot. Never had a problem again until I pulled the front bumper off myself to swap something out. Now its seperating again. I’m debating taking it in or going down to the local auto parts store to get some JB Weld and do it myself.
how about aluminum tape.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Mind of Toyota clips and claws snap together plastic car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Yaris View Post
Maybe not so minor for the busy working person who wants their newish car looking right, doesn't fix things themselves, and friends same age Civic isn't falling apart.
(Note that these miserable hidden clips and claws are a major drawback for careful individuals who DO fix things themselves...even when equipped w/ the full 3-volume set of factory manuals.)

I recently saw a perfect looking late model Camry driving about 60 mph on a smooth highway w/ the rear bumper (cover) flapping behind the tire.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Captain Yaris

Sorry, I didn’t mean for my post to sound the way it did. I understand how you feel, and I guess I was just trying to reassure you that you’re not alone with the problem. The first time it happend to me, the dealership fixed it under warranty while I was getting an oil change. Hopefully you can get yours sorted out with as minimal pain as possible. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
dogsridewith

Toyota Yaris clips, claws and wiring connectors

Nothing fell off this new2me 2007 in 10k miles, but I want to remove the front bumper cover and it is impossible to determine HOW to detach one critical and hidden clip/claw w/ minimal damage to it and the holes in the parts it holds together.

(There are some missing/broken plastic fasteners in the engine compartment and front bumper cover...something got the car one new headlight.)

(Most all of the car's wiring connectors are tight, with different configurations of hidden claws.)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
That looks like an indentation to the right of what looks like fingers?
Probably just the reflection looks odd!
The paint finish looks poor too. Really bad orange peel effect.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
...and friends same age Civic isn't falling apart.
Friend's Civic was also several thousand dollars more than the newish Yaris.

That money goes somewhere.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 AM   #10
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I've seen both Corolla's & Camry's with the same bumper issue on either the front or back, as well as some of the 2015 Yaris models when I was checking out the automatics locally 3 years ago, before buying/shipping my manual Yaris from a Colorado dealer. Seem like Toyota might want to rethink its general bumper fitment design strategy. So far, I haven't had any bumper detachment issues on my 2015, and they feel firm.

As far as the Honda comment goes, they are average built cars at best nowaday based on all the crazy, fluctuating quality issues I have read about on their various models, and will have sorts of problems/costs as the poorly-designed straight-GDI + Turbo engines age. Plus, their Fit/Civic designs are beyond ugly-looking in their own ways.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #11
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
updated see first post
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:21 PM   #12
castles

Drives: 2008 Yaris
I'd remind them the power of social media, and at least supply the clips free of charge.
castles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #13
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
Update - my dealer was fairly worthless and even though the 3 year warranty still applies their only solution was take it to a body shop at my expense.
How is it that they send you to a body shop at your expense when you have a 3 yr bumper to bumper warranty and are literally having a problem with a bumper lol?

I'm guessing they said it was damaged by bad driving, or hitting something? I can't see how they could weasel their way out of fixing it unless they're trying to say it's damage you caused.

On Wheelwell
Old 08-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I'd call the Regional Toyota Rep. and make an appt. to meet him/her at the local Toyota dealership. Show the rep. the problem, explain that you are within the 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty period, the car has been properly maintained and accident free, and as a Yarisworld member with over 67,000 Yaris owners/members, you are well aware that this is a common Yaris problem... and that you want it fixed!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I'd call the Regional Toyota Rep. and make an appt. to meet him/her at the local Toyota dealership. Show the rep. the problem, explain that you are within the 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty period, the car has been properly maintained and accident free, and as a Yarisworld member with over 67,000 Yaris owners/members, you are well aware that this is a common Yaris problem... and that you want it fixed!
Hear, hear!

On Wheelwell
Old 08-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #16
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
If I recall correctly, there was even a Toyota service bulletin issued for 2015-2017 model Yaris bumper clip issues causing your exact vehicle issue. How much more obvious can it get. Stupid dealerships. Either crooks or morons run them.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #17
Captain Yaris

I will call my service rep tomorrow and see what she says. I have a very good relationship with her and I’ll try and get ahold of something written like a tech bulletin that Kalispel was talking about.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #18
dogsridewith

also call the 800 # in the back of the car's owners manual and report "my dealer was fairly worthless and even though the 3 year warranty still applies their only solution was take it to a body shop at my expense."