Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
sketch182

Drives: 2008 Silver Hatchback
Are You Using Winter Tires?

Mostly to keep this thread going again......
I just bought some winter tires and rims from my local Toyota dealership. I used to have a Smart car and the winter tires made a huge difference. Driving on the highway every day, I don't want to take a chance with my Yaris, given our bad winters here. My other 2 Toyotas have all seasons, but we only use them around town.
What are your thoughts on using Winter tires?

Last edited by sketch182; 10-22-2008 at 07:41 PM.
sketch182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I live in snow country and I already have 4 tires mounted and balanced on additional steelies.

I will not do a winter w/o snows.
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
One morning I did 55 miles an hour on four inches of deep virgin snow. Had Kelly Springfield M&S on all four wheels. Just to see if I could do it. I could, pretty easily.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Heavy packing snow with enough slick to make cars go backwards on a mediocre hill and my bmw cruises through at speed limit speeds. Winter tires make driving in winter like driving in summer with ok-crappy all season tires....which is really good haha
Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
You don't think you need winter tires until you get into an accident because you didn't have them on. The first time I tried some out I was amazed at how much of a difference they make and Nokians I have now are by far the best I've ever had and I was glad to have them as it was the second worst winter on record last year.

I was at a red light; going up hill; beside an Exlporer. The light turned green and I smoothly accelerated away as they spun on their all season in the snow ridge left behind by the snow plow. That's just one instance where winter tires make a huge difference. I think the best benefit is the increased traction on ice.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
sketch182

Note to moderator:
I should have placed this in the Wheels, Tires and Suspension link.
Could you move it?
THX
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
sketch: you need better traction in town than on the highway. That's why they make winter tires, that are less noisy (Yokohama IG20) for more highway miles, for revenge, they are not as sticky on thick snow.

if you are doing in town driving more, snow & ice tires (Hankook Ipike W409) give more traction. But would be noiser for highway driving.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
yarisworld

Drives: 2008 yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch182 View Post
Mostly to keep this thread going again......
I just bought some winter tires and rims from my local Toyota dealership. I used to have a Smart car and the winter tires made a huge difference. Driving on the highway every day, I don't want to take a chance with my Yaris, given our bad winters here. My other 2 Toyotas have all seasons, but we only use them around town.
What are your thoughts on using Winter tires?
How much does Toyota charge per tire for snows?

What brands do they sell?
yarisworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
sketch182

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
sketch: you need better traction in town than on the highway. That's why they make winter tires, that are less noisy (Yokohama IG20) for more highway miles, for revenge, they are not as sticky on thick snow.

if you are doing in town driving more, snow & ice tires (Hankook Ipike W409) give more traction. But would be noiser for highway driving.
Generally, I agree with you. The difference for us, is that on the highways around Toronto, we get alot of thick slush, ruts, ice and wet spots. Winter tires have made a huge difference for me given the mixed road conditions.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
sketch182

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisworld View Post
How much does Toyota charge per tire for snows?

What brands do they sell?
I got the Michelin X-Ice with a second set of rims. I don't know what they charged per tire, but the package was $800 mounted and balanced.