Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Raysi

Drives: Yellow Yaris Sedan
Question I just bought a Yaris Sedan (Yellow) I am going to paint it. Any tips?

Yesterday I bought a yellow Yaris Sedan, but they didn't offer green paint jobs, so I got Yellow. I am going to paint it soon, I bought a couple of cans of "Behr" piant, and am ready to go. What should I do first? Will it look bad if I don't get the old layer of paint off first?

Will it be safe to paint my wheels as well? I know this could be dangerous, so I figured I'd ask first. Please don't suggest I hire a professional, I have been painting my own house for years now and know what I am doing.

I know I can't paint over the headlights, as this would stop the light from going through.

I know I can't paint the windshield.

How many coats should I apply? I thing I will be good with one, but I can understand that a car might need more. Thank you!
Raysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Oh man, that yellow is awesome! Wasn't offered on the sedan when we bought ours.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
This could be a dumb point, but the process of painting a car and painting a house are two totally different things. Generally a car is airbrushed, whereas a house is usually handbrushed (or rolled). I think there are specific types of paint used on cars vs on houses.

My suggestion, if you are still wanting to DIY, do a lot of research into how a car is painted. Even if you don't hire a professional, talk to one, see if they can give you some pointers.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
i<3yaris
MPG Hog

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
You will first need to tape off all the of surfaces you do not want to get any paint on (windows, rear view mirrors, etc.)
You will need to do this in a confined space with good ventilation. The right way to do it would be to remove the existing paint first, but I am not sure how much of a difference it would really make.
The thing you do have to do prior to re-painting is primering. You must use primer paint to cover up the original color before applying the yellow. This will ensure the yellow goes on smoothly all around. As suggested earlier, this is done by airbrushing. A simple can of spray paint may not be very effective. Good luck on your venture and lets see some pics of before and after! :)
i<3yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
The best way to do it is to get a big tub, just slightly bigger than your Yaris. Fill the tub with the paint. Place it under a tree. Get a rope and wrap it around one of the tree's branches. Get your tow hook out of the trunk and screw it into the front bumper. Attach one end of the rope to the tow hook. Pull down on the other end of the rope thus lifting the Yaris off of the ground, over the tub. Line the Yaris up above the tub and then slowly lower it down into the tub of paint. Leave it there for about 30 minutes. Then pull on the rope to remove the Yaris from the tub. Tie the rope off to suspend the Yaris in the air and let it air dry over night. The next day let the Yaris come back to earth. Use a butter knife to get rid of the paint in the areas you don't want paint. i.e. windows, lights, etc. Then just sit back and enjoy the satisfaction of having a brand new looking Yaris!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
The best way to do it is to get a big tub, just slightly bigger than your Yaris. Fill the tub with the paint.
^

You really don't want to overfill the tub or you'll end up spilling paint everywhere when you dip your Yaris into it. It's safer to put your car in first and then pour the paint in. Be sure to stick a cork in the tail pipe.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
The best way to do it is to get a big tub, just slightly bigger than your Yaris. Fill the tub with the paint. Place it under a tree. Get a rope and wrap it around one of the tree's branches. Get your tow hook out of the trunk and screw it into the front bumper. Attach one end of the rope to the tow hook. Pull down on the other end of the rope thus lifting the Yaris off of the ground, over the tub. Line the Yaris up above the tub and then slowly lower it down into the tub of paint. Leave it there for about 30 minutes. Then pull on the rope to remove the Yaris from the tub. Tie the rope off to suspend the Yaris in the air and let it air dry over night. The next day let the Yaris come back to earth. Use a butter knife to get rid of the paint in the areas you don't want paint. i.e. windows, lights, etc. Then just sit back and enjoy the satisfaction of having a brand new looking Yaris!
Oh man, I was cracking up reading this.

To the other responders to the thread, the OP is obviously joking for some stupid reason.

Plus, I'm pretty certain there's no such thing as a factory painted yellow Yaris sedan.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
^ that's our resident troll with multiple personality. Forgot to clean up this thread the other day.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
b_hickman11

me or raysi?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Kal-El

Quote:
me or raysi?
"Rayse" of course.

Your post was hilarious.

Last edited by Kal-El; 05-13-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
"rayse" of course.

You post was hilarious.
lol....thanks...I've seen people use house paint on a car before though....crazy rednecks here in TX
Old 05-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Can you paint mine after? I want teh porsche orange
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
rihanna2000

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue 2 dr
ME THREE!WANT LILAC PURPLE!
rihanna2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Rain
help! my Yaris shrunk!

Drives: 12 Hot Lava iQ/07 Jade Vios
Should we start a list? LOL

1. Rain
2. rihanna2000

anyone else want a painted Yaris?
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
"Rayse" of course.

Your post was hilarious.
+ 1

still laughing
Old 05-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #16
nazier
black shark

Drives: black toyota yaris t3 sprit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysi View Post
Yesterday I bought a yellow Yaris Sedan, but they didn't offer green paint jobs, so I got Yellow. I am going to paint it soon, I bought a couple of cans of "Behr" piant, and am ready to go. What should I do first? Will it look bad if I don't get the old layer of paint off first?

Will it be safe to paint my wheels as well? I know this could be dangerous, so I figured I'd ask first. Please don't suggest I hire a professional, I have been painting my own house for years now and know what I am doing.

I know I can't paint over the headlights, as this would stop the light from going through.

I know I can't paint the windshield.

How many coats should I apply? I thing I will be good with one, but I can understand that a car might need more. Thank you!

if u going to do this u need a lot of time, u will need some equipment to do this, and u will need alot of hand muscles, u going to need to strip your vehicle apart, doors, panels,bonet,boot,also remove the inside, also drop the motor and gear box, remove the headlights and tail lights,

then u need to sand the vehicle down until u get all the paint off,

once this is done u would need to wash your garage out the water on the walls and floor,also close all the windows and where ever air comes in as u would need to keep the dust out,

also u would need to spray the panels,doors,bonet,and boot first, try and hang the stuff from the roof so u can move around the parts nicely,

make sure the spray gun is clean and the compressor builded up enough air,
wash the all the panels off with water, hang to dry, leave over night,

then apply the prima or undercoat, and make sure u cover the whole panel

then leave to dry, then wash the car off as well, then leave to dry again then spray the prima or undercoat, make sure u have enough of this stuff u dont want to run out while u busy,

and dont leave the panels without the undercoat for to long as they will rust,

then when u start applying your color to the car make sure the panels and doors, bonet, boot, is back on the car but make sure u spray the hinges first before u attach everything as they will ony have undercoat and will rust,

make sure u line up all the panels as well,

after all this is done mix enough paint as u dont want to run out, becoz if u dont mix the second batch correct the car is going to have to different colors

apply the paint one coat leave to dry apply another coat, leave to dry,

then apply a clear coat, normally they apply to but you can apply about 4 for that high gloss finish, but this will also take some time as u will need to use very very fine sandpaper with water, when applying the clear coats, u will need to sand after every coat,sand with a light hand as u dont want to damage the paint work,

leave to dry then start putting everything back together, and when putting things back be gentle u dont want to make dents or damage the paint work,
and remember to install step by step becoz things become difficult when u forgot to put something back and u almost finish

please keep all bolts,nuts,screws,and clips with each part in a small packet attched to the parts or mark the packets with the panel it belongs to, this makes things easy for you,

also put the glass away where it wont break, when reinstalling everything please put back sealant where sealant was before, and dont damage window and door rubbers,and dont leave them on while spraying it a pain to get them clean again,

also u dont want anyone to know the vehicle was resparyed, it drops your vehicle value like crazy,

also when spraying dont spray to much paint in one spot u dont want the paint to run, to fix this is crap,

the lights u can get them smoked but this must be done by pros the lights will look black but light will its shine from them, this is something u dont want to get wrong

the wheels can be done again they must be clean and sand down a little, make sure the paint you use is heat resistant becoz they will fade and soonthe paint will start to peel and that looks crap

hope u have a wonderful time doing this, i hope i could help you,

u sure u dont want to just get some pros to do this for you,
Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #17
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysi View Post
I am going to paint it soon, I bought a couple of cans of "Behr" piant, and am ready to go.
Hold your horses! "Behr" paint???

NO! NO! ... you need to use Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore products. These paints are superior!!! Use a Gloss finish... soft to medium. Stay away from satin finishes or flat finishes... Yuck! Not too Glossy though. The semi-gloss will bring out the shine once you wax...

Please do show us pics of your "Masterpiece" once you are done...

I can't wait...

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #18
Kal-El

Nazier, Raysi is a troll.

He's just being an idiot.