Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Drives: 2008 Yaris, White Hatchback
Interior LED Ricey Problem

So... i am very stupid LAWL. I bought these LED strip things on eBay. Umm.. i just looked on at a few diagrams here and there and thought "hey, lets just splice stuff together and see if it works." And to finish this sad post, no my LED things still don't work. i'll explain it with pictures because everyone loves pictures !!

So this is what i received ($0.99 + $ 0.99 S/H.. not bad~)

Now here is the problem, i have these two wire things on it: one is red and the other is white

So stupid me, i used this thing......

to splice the red wire from my cheap LED strip to the blue part of this thing in the car, and spliced the white wire from my cheap LED strip to the pink part of this thing in the car, like so-

So yeah.. overall, the LED Strip thing doesn't even work and... i don't even know how to take out the splicing thing from the wires LOLOLOLOL... any help please? I wanted the LED strip to turn on when i opened the car door.
xbr3akd0wnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Out of curiosity, did you try powering the strip before hooking it up (to verify that the red is really +)? If red is positive, then you did connect it properly for coming on with the dome.

To remove the tap splice, flip up the cover and pull it apart at the opening. That will expose the metal part, which you can then pull the wires out of.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Yes i tried powering the strip before hand. My shipment came with 2 of these and i tested it first before trying to install it and shizzle. HOWEVER... i was looking at youtube videos on how to use the tap splice correctly and it said you had to squeeze the splice until you hear a click sound? I'm worried that if i do this and my wiring is incorrect, then the wires will be damaged by the splicing

oh and what is the dome? do you mean the dome light?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr3akd0wnx View Post
Yes i tried powering the strip before hand. My shipment came with 2 of these and i tested it first before trying to install it and shizzle. HOWEVER... i was looking at youtube videos on how to use the tap splice correctly and it said you had to squeeze the splice until you hear a click sound? I'm worried that if i do this and my wiring is incorrect, then the wires will be damaged by the splicing

oh and what is the dome? do you mean the dome light?
If you over crimp them or have the wire in the wrong position you can cut the wire in half (especially with small diameter wires). Or, if you used ones that are too big for the wires, then they don't cut through the insulation and make contact with the wires.

Yes, the dome light.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

PAH... that is not a good thing at all. i wouldn't want to crimp them anymore then they are now until i get the wiring down ahaha

anddd, how do i know which wire is the dome light? sorrry, i'm trying to look for diagrams but theyre all just numbers and such. thank you for taking the time to help meee
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
PAH... that is not a good thing at all. i wouldn't want to crimp them anymore then they are now until i get the wiring down ahaha

anddd, how do i know which wire is the dome light? sorrry, i'm trying to look for diagrams but theyre all just numbers and such. thank you for taking the time to help meee
The blue wire is the +12 volt feed to the dome light and the pink is the switched ground wire (switched by the door switch).
Old 05-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

i will have to check tomorrow :[. my friend just asked me if he can borrow my car cause he's driving to vegas :/. thank you for your help!! i will check the splice thingy one more time tomorrow to see if the connection is secure. i really want to be a wannabe ricerrr
Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
those things dont always make a good connection if you use the wrong size or dont squeeze the crap out of them with pliers.

and if you wanna take them off, grab it, twist n pull at the same time...kinda rock it back and forth. the metal clip may stay on the wire and seperate from the plastic, that's a good thing. now you can just pull it gently off the wire.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
No way that those splice connectors are puncturing through those tiny wires. I scrapped those wires and soldered on some 18 or 20 gauge (I forget what I bought) to be able to have the splice make good contact with the wires.

Check out my LED threads:

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...post1273178447

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...There-Be-Light
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

pahhh you guys are right. i stuck my head inside and around the bottom of my car and looked at the splicer thingy. its holding the wires down but i can see that its not piercing the outside part of the wire. unfortunately i dont have pliers or anything so i'll need to borrow them from a friend. thank you for your guys help!! i'll update if it worksss
Old 05-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
pahhh you guys are right. i stuck my head inside and around the bottom of my car and looked at the splicer thingy. its holding the wires down but i can see that its not piercing the outside part of the wire. unfortunately i dont have pliers or anything so i'll need to borrow them from a friend. thank you for your guys help!! i'll update if it worksss
If you try tap splices again, make sure they are sized correctly. The wires that you are connecting to are about 22 AWG.