Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
YarisBlazer

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Manual vs. Automatic ??

HI, I'm planning on purchasing a 2007 Yaris in next few months; all the reviews I have read say the Manual (stick shift) is much better than Automatic on this car; any thoughts? I dont know how to drive a stick so any thoughts on how hard it is to learn ? I can save $1000+ by buying a stick; Thanks !
YarisBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
It really comes down to functionality and your preference (and cost). Some of us, like me, are tired of driving sticks. I have had a bunch over the years. I like the idea of just jumping in the car and the only work needed is pushing the gas pedal I also have kids that I have to haul around sometimes and an automatic makes it easier to deal with them and drive. I bought a Yaris sedan automatic soley for getting to work and back and to occasionally haul the kids around. Works perfect for me. Can't beat a 12k car that gets 40mpg and looks good too. I love my Yaris!
Old 08-09-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
Iam 28 years old. I do have to commute every day, so rush hour is a bit of a chore some times. But I love driving a stick. My last car was an auto, and I got so bored of it. I wanted to shift. Previous 4 cars where manuals. I figure that by the time I am older and maybe tired of driving a stick we will all be driving floating cars anyway.

But I agree with Sroberts. It is a matter of preference, convenience and cost. Manuals are cheaper to maintain, and replace. They are also a little less prone to failure. Autos are more convenient but also more expensive.

- K
Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #4
paeko73

Drives: Yaris "S" Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteless
Manuals are cheaper to maintain, and replace. They are also a little less prone to failure. Autos are more convenient but also more expensive.

- K
Automatics nowsaday can last for more than 100K. Manuals with bad drivers would need clutch change pretty fast... and that cost $$$.
paeko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
Linkseal

Drives: DBA-NCP91
Send a message via MSN to Linkseal
Quote:
Originally Posted by paeko73
Automatics nowsaday can last for more than 100K. Manuals with bad drivers would need clutch change pretty fast... and that cost $$$.
I agree...it all dependz on the driver's skill... AT, or even Tiptronic could be the best solution for most daily driving...
Linkseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #6
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkseal
I agree...it all dependz on the driver's skill... AT, or even Tiptronic could be the best solution for most daily driving...
Well, Tiptronic is not available for the Yaris (sadly it is for the Fit ).
When I got my license I learned with a stick car and my first car was stick. I then switched to an Automatic (because I was a getting a good deal off my dad rather than because I really wanted) and I hated it pretty quick. My Yaris is stick and I love it. Granted, sometimes it gets a little bit annoying with heavy traffic of after long days (or nights), but the manual transmision just is fun to drive (and cheaper!) so it makes up for it.
One advice I can gvie you is that if your going the manual way, learn to drive stick in a driver's school, not your brand new Yaris. If you do, you will cause an untimely clutch death (plus the Yaris clutch pedal is a little bit hard to handle at first).
Anyway, congrats on choosing a Yaris! You'll not regret it :D
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
riceboy

Drives: icebox
I've found that the clutch is really easy and accomodating to new drivers... It's not very stiff, and it has a pretty long feel.. very easy to engage.. Anyhow... I agree on not learning on the new car.. because it would really suck to burn out a clutch in an afternoon.... however... if given a choice between learning on the yaris or another sub-compact/compact import, I would stay away from the domestics... they are a little harder to feel...
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I have a long commute, and sometimes (summer months) I get slammed in traffic for a good amount of it... After rowing the gears of my last manual commuter beater, Im happy I got the Yaris in AUTO.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Its all about the stick. I learned on an auto, then bought my Saab as a manual and learned to drive on it. I'll never drive an auto again as long as I can help it.

BTW, The Yaris clutch is way too vague. I've stalled it more than once starting out. I have finally gotten use to it though.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
NickNickNick

Drives: 06 Silver Yaris 3-door Manual
I have a manual tranny, and love it...I could see how it would become pretty tedious if you got caught in traffic often enough.

I taught my gf how to drive on my Yaris, and she got the hang of it within 10-15 minutes, only stalling it twice..I've stalled it more than that, as the Yaris clutch is pretty vagure compared to other cars like VWs.

Just get someone you know who can drive a manual to teach you, and you'll be fine.
NickNickNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
Every manual I have ever had, had a tach on it. Now that I have been driving a manual for years (Except for my last car) driving without one is not too hard. But I do plan on waiting for some kind of after market IP that has a tach in it. (Hopefully the wires are there, just no tach in the IP.)

My last manual was a 1987 Mazda 323 station wagon. It did not have a tach, so I went to the junk yard and found the IP out of a hatchback version, same year, it bolted right in and the tach actually worked! A couple of the idiot lights did not work. I replaced the bulbes, but still no go. heh.

- Kiteless
Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
Linkseal

Drives: DBA-NCP91
Send a message via MSN to Linkseal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrancosRt
Well, Tiptronic is not available for the Yaris (sadly it is for the Fit ).
When I got my license I learned with a stick car and my first car was stick. I then switched to an Automatic (because I was a getting a good deal off my dad rather than because I really wanted) and I hated it pretty quick. My Yaris is stick and I love it. Granted, sometimes it gets a little bit annoying with heavy traffic of after long days (or nights), but the manual transmision just is fun to drive (and cheaper!) so it makes up for it.
One advice I can gvie you is that if your going the manual way, learn to drive stick in a driver's school, not your brand new Yaris. If you do, you will cause an untimely clutch death (plus the Yaris clutch pedal is a little bit hard to handle at first).
Anyway, congrats on choosing a Yaris! You'll not regret it :D

Ya...I have been tested drivin a stick Yaris..and It is pretty easy to control and the clutch is as light as Honda's...compared to my Subaru STI's heavy clutch, Mannual Yaris is easier to be controlled and faster acceleration than auto... however, since the gas, brake and clutch pandels are relatively small and closed to each other, might need some aftermarket pandels to get improved....
Linkseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrancosRt
Oh shite! LOL, I learned to drive stick on my new Yaris. Took out my buddys MX-3 for like three drives and got a real basic feel for what to do in that. But mastering it happened in my Yaris.

I stalled ALL THE TIME... it was tough at first but quickly became a piece of piss to drive stick! Love driving stick now (except in SLOW stop and go traffic on the 400! )

I hope i didnt really wear my engine hardcore in my first "learning" week!

Jem
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote