Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
Effect of DC headers on torque curve?

The one thing I really love about my Yaris is the great low-end torque (especially for a 1.5L), does anyone have an anecdotal evidence or dyno data to show how the DC header effects low-end torque? Thanks.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
I only have anecdotal for a Weapon R header, but it's a slightly different design (4-2-1) from the DC (4-1).

It was the very first mod I did, so everything else was bone stock. I climb the same steep hill to return to my home, and with the header alone and no other changes, the car climbed the hill noticeably easier at between 2K-3K rpm. And with the stock muffler, the difference in sound is zero.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
4/20 NEVER FORGET

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
I have a DC header. I installed it on the car when the only other mod was a K&N Typhoon intake. The change in the car was noticeable after the DC header, unlike other mods which haven't made a noticeable overall difference. In my opinion, the car had a more linear power output through the rev range after the header was installed. Before installing, I felt the power was all down low and the car really "ran out of breath" as the revs climbed. After install, the car showed power nearly all the way to redline, which I like. I don't feel it lost low-end torque, some people have complained about that but I did not notice it.

Now my mods are K&N Typhoon intake, DC header, 2.25" obx exhaust resonator-back, MI crank pulley and NGK iridium plugs. The car is very torque-y down low, I regularly find myself shifting to 5th gear at 40-45 mph around town. I don't have a tachometer installed yet, but the car feels like it's pretty low in the rev range but still has good power. It climbs hills on the highway with 3 people in the car in 5th gear easily as well.

I've said it in other threads and I stand behind my statement, I think the DC header is great.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
iirc, 4-2-1 headers provide better low to mid range gains with little gains or even a decrease in the high end, and 4-1 headers provide gains in the high end with little or even a decrease in the low to mid range. If I ever get a header, I think I'll get the Weapon R 4-2-1 header.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

I'm all about 0-60 times and don't really care about top speed so a 4-2-1 might be a good choice for me.

I never really go faster than 80mph, but I love slamming someone into the passenger seat when I take off.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

odd, seems the weapon-r is only available for 07-08 years.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I think it should fit any 1NZ Yaris, someone correct me if I'm wrong. lol
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Well, tooter's is a 2012 so I know it fits that.

I also have a weapon-R.

I was told that the 4-2-1 and 4-1 are as described but we have shorty headers and the effect talked about has a lot less to do with the gains than the sheer size difference. there are a few guys that are playing with long tube headers and are seeing gains.

I was told that I would basically see the same thing from any of the aftermarket headers and the DC one is quite a bit more expensive.

My car is rather peppy with an AFE intake, Weapon-R header, and resonator back (mandrel bent) 2" custom exhaust. I do have the light weight crank pulley but it is still in the box....
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
odd, seems the weapon-r is only available for 07-08 years.
It's now '07-'12... and likely '13 too.

The place I got mine from had their listing as '07-'11, so I took the risk to find out if a Weapon R would fit a '12. When you think of it, the odds were heavily in my favor as Toyota is pretty good at making good use of the same parts for years. It fit like a glove. I contacted the seller and let them know so that they could update their website listing.

Beef is right. The space between the exhaust ports on the head and the headpipe is really short so headers can't make a whole lot of difference. But they do help. But even being as short as they are, I was pleased with the slight bottom end improvement of the 4-2-1 design on an otherwise completely stock car.

Garm has them for about $200 if I recall, which is a great price.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
with the weapon r it's just bolt on right?
DJYojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

I'd love to know where they are available for much cheaper than the DC Sports model. I see Garm has the DC Sports for $289, but I don't see the Weapon R on his site. Every place I've seen the Weapon R it's very close in price to the DC Sports.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
I'm all about 0-60 times and don't really care about top speed so a 4-2-1 might be a good choice for me.

I never really go faster than 80mph, but I love slamming someone into the passenger seat when I take off.

Then you probably should have bought a different car.

TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
DJYojimbo

here's weapon r link on Garm's Website http://shop.microimageonline.com/Wea...53-116-108.htm
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA5 View Post
Then you probably should have bought a different car.

I traded in a BMW 325i for the Yaris, I like smaller nimble little underpowered cars, my point was that if I'm going to build power I'd rather it be in the "seat of the pants" department than in the top speed/top-end area.

The Yaris, even bone stock has the most torque at launch I've ever seen out of a naturally aspirated 1.5L motor, and I really like that. That's why I had several Miatas too, torquey little motors. I like torque more than horsepower....I seldom drive about 55mph so I'd rather FEEL like I have lots of power than have it all up-top and be able to pull on people on the interstate.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJYojimbo View Post
with the weapon r it's just bolt on right?
I did need to do a little filing on where the metal exit protruded beyond the donut. This is after filing...

...just to make sure there would be no metal to metal contact to keep the donut from sealing.

But other than this minor issue, it's bolt on and drive.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
It doesn't really matter what header you buy that replaces the stock one, they will all produce similar results +/- 10%. You really get much volume/length given the space that's available.

Most of the conceptions of 4-2-1 and 4-1 only really matter when they're optimally designed but seeing as nothing replacing the stock piece will be optimally designed so they'll all perform similarly.

Now with 4-1 you can get lots of low end and a 4-2-1 can give lots of top end, so you shouldn't pick something depending on what it can conceptually give.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #17
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
Captain Slow, I kind of like my 1400 ninja on the take off better than any car I have ever been in.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
DJYojimbo

I want low end I thought weapon r is low end