Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Would these front suspension parts be any good?

I live in Canada and the price may be too cheap to be of any quality?

The front seems a tad loose over washboard type roads and instead of narrowing down what component I want to replace whats replaceable.

Car has 270,000 KM.

Link to parts that i had in mind.

Thanks for any help.

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/produ...TECH/CMS86138/

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/auto-...izer-bar-link/

Moog looks to be a better name then mevotech after researching.

I will probaly replace other front end parts aswell but these 2 to begin with.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Moog stuff is pretty good. I'm not sure what brand the control arms are, but I purchased 2 new control arms with bushing/ball joints from a Canadian supplier 2 years ago for my Echo, drove on the for 45k km and had no issues with them.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Pinchlite

parts

I will stick with Moog.

The price seems reasonable to me.

What other front end parts should I order while I am at it?

If you scroll down here you can find what they have to offer for suspension.

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/auto-...ta/yaris/2007/

Thanks you are always helpful.

P.S what Canadian supplier did you use?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
tmontague

I can't remember what supplier it was. I went on eBay to look up control arms for the echo and found a good price and they happened to be Canadian.

The only other front suspension part that you could change (outside of your struts) would be your sway bar bushings. They're possible to access with a crazy long extension from behind the engine in the engine bay but they're not easy. They aren't known to wear so you may be better off to just leave your oem ones in.

I'll be changing mine when I do my 2zr swap but that's only because I'll have the engine out and it'll take all of 10 mins.

In terms of tightening up your suspension just replace all the control arms bushings/ball joint and your sway bar end links. That is assuming your struts are newer

If your steering is also loose then look into your inner and outer tie rods, you also have steering rack bushings which could be worn. That should be isolated to steering though. Have someone try and turn your steering wheel while you look behind the engine at the steering rack. You shoulnt see much play in it at all. Make sure the car is in the ground and not jacked up.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
Pinchlite

I dont think steering is loose.How would I know that.Steering wheel has no play and actually feels quite firm/solid.

I already got new struts sitting here(KYB)I read that the KYB that I got are considered fairly good.

I will replace what you mentioned (control arms bushings/ball joint and your sway bar end links)

I will be replacing the entire control arm versus the bushings seperatly.I have read its quicker then gettting them pressed out/in.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:18 AM   #6
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Have someone try and turn your steering wheel while you look behind the engine at the steering rack. You shoulnt see much play in it at all. Make sure the car is in the ground and not jacked up.
KYB's are great and priced well. Cross your fingers your control arms come out fine. My Echo's came out no issue but when I did them on my vibe the passenger side had a bolt get completely seized to the inner metal tube in the bushing.

An extra 5 hours later and I got it out using a torch and mildly damaging the subframe. This was with air tools. You likely won't have that issue, but take this as a word of caution and coat the crap out of the through bolt with anti seize.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 AM   #7
Pinchlite

suspension

Great tip for checking steering.

I recently purchased air ratchet(1/2'')along with proper air sockets.From reading this will help immensly.I will apply anti sieze aswell.

Thanks again for the tips.

Should have a tigher front end once all is done.

I figured seeing how the parts are not all that expensive I may aswell do it all at once.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #8
Motzking1

Drives: 47 2013 yaris l hatchbacks
I am very familiar with both the mevotech brand and the Moog brands. My family buisness has sold both over the years. Mecotech is a good replacement part and is going to give you very close to the OE Toyota part experience at a greatly reduced price. They do have improvements over OE on some parts. They are designed in canada. I do not know how long they have been around and could not find much info on there history. I first saw a salesman at my work about 15 years ago. I would place them in the economy part catagory vs the premium part. But in the economy class they are excelent! Beware there are some really poor products in the economy class of chassis parts. Down right dangerous. Mevotech is one of the best in this class.

Moog is going to cost more. Usually significantly more. The quality of moog chassis parts are far superior to any OE chassis part they replace. Moog Studys the failures of the OE parts. Moog engineers into there parts solutions to greatly improve over the OE design. If the Moog package says "problem solver" on the package it has been completely re-engineered from ground up to be a solution to a common failure item. A far superior part. Moog has been at this as an American company for I think a 100+ years. It is a Federal Mogul brand. These consist of companies like Fel-Pro gaskets Moog chassis products speedpro Pistons Federal-Mogul pistons and engine rebuild kits anco wiper Ferodo and Wagner brakes. Federal-Mogul components are found in air-to-air missiles surface-to-air missiles in u.s. air Defence. They are found in Aerospace are found in passenger aircraft. They are found in US military aircraft.

Well I may sound like an advertisement for the Federal-Mogul Corporation. It is just because I am a True Believer in their products. My family business has been wholesale Automotive Parts distribution since 1974. We have carried literally dozens of secondary chassis brands over the years. But we have carried only one primary chassis line and that is moog. It's just damn good stuff.
Now everybody will have an opinion of what part is good and which part is not but that's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Motzking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
Pinchlite

suspension

I believe they only carry the movotech for entire control arm.The other parts that I listed in my original post will be moog.

Excellent feedback BTW.

They want 180.00 cad for entire control arm/ball joint assembly.

I could get just the rubber pieces seperatly and it would cost less but then I would need a special press to remove the old ones.If I got the bushings seperate I would have a mechanic do it.

If I got mechanic to press the new bushings in the labour would probaly cost as much as me just getting entire control arm and doing myself.

If you scroll down to suspension parts you can see the individual bushings.

https://www.thewrenchmonkey.ca/auto-...ta/yaris/2007/
Old 02-08-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i get all my stuff from rockauto.com...even though im in canada
Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #11
Motzking1

Drives: 47 2013 yaris l hatchbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i get all my stuff from rockauto.com...even though im in canada
That's my go to place also. Rockauto always does me well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Motzking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
tmontague

I use RA as well but I live an hour from the border and have a us p.o. box so I save a ton on shipping
Old 02-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
Pinchlite

Parts.

I came across this site aswell.

Will do some research as always.They have good prices and brands.

I prefer to support Canadian buisiness whenever possible aswell.

https://partsavatar.ca/department/replacement_parts.

If I dont get complete control arm then I will need press.

It might be better to just get the bushings/rubber parts and have mechanic do it.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #14
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
While I understand your reasoning to support a Canadian business I must say that nothing compares to the selection and pricing of RockAuto. For north of the border I've used https://www.autopartsway.ca/ before with good results. I would urge you to at least try to isolate the offending part(s) because the old throwing parts at it approach can get very expensive real fast.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote