Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #19
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
BTW ... You can not notice it in my pic but my stock chrome lug nuts are starting to rust .
Seven New York winters finally got to them.

So, I ordered new ones (e-Bay) which seem to be higher quality and are 'triple plated".
Although they are not exact copies of the stock lugs, they do look just about the same.

One issue is, they need a 3/4" socket instead of a 13/16" like the stock lugs do.

So with knowledge that the stock lug wrench is about worthless....
If you you had to remove a tire with it due to a flat, you might not be able to remove the lug nuts with it
I tried (out of curiosity) and i could not loosen any nuts with the stock lug wrench .

Remember the "Big bang Theory" episode where they could not use a stock lug wrench either to change a flat away from home?
It was funny on TBBT as good comedy must have a bit of realty to it.... but, what if that actually happened to you?

So, today I went to Walmart and got a very nice "4-way" lug wrench for $12. Both problems are solved.

If you would actually use a torque wrench to properly torque the lugs to 103Nm and use anti-seize or other water resistant lubricant (I use white lithium grease), you will see that the stock lug nut wrench is just the right length to achieve similar specified torque when tightening and long enough to break them loose, by anyone. Short maths show that properly torqued and lubed threads won't require much more torque to break loose than it was required when you installed them. I use a torque wrench the same length as the stock lug wrench and it's a breeze to do.

Using an impact wrench on chrome hardware is not recommended, that's why a lot of people both over torque the lug nuts, without any lubing, damaging the threads, and chip off the chrome plating, then complain how rusty and stuck the lug nuts are.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote