Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #199
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
ok there is stuff higher then 93 in north america its ether 94 or 95 from shell or sunoco
Old 06-30-2007, 01:01 AM   #200
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
wow, i can't stand to read this thread anymore, and it's my own thread. lol...
Old 06-30-2007, 03:18 AM   #201
davembfan

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I usually get 87, but i got 89 once and it was about the same with mpg. since I have had my car i've always used shell gas, don't plan on using another brand. I've always been weird with gas and my cars, always fill up the same place, usually the same pump. Unless of course im on a trip, but then ill still use shell.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:03 AM   #202
Edd

Drives: None
Using higher octane than recommended will NOT make the engine knock*. It will make it less likely to knock. Higher octane = more stable and less likely to prematurely combust.
Members in this thread are correct in saying that you will most likely have no benefit from increasing the octane rating on the fuel (unless your car knocks at the recommended amount).
The top fuels (98 RON) are there to replace leaded petrol. Back in the day, lead was THE way to boost octane. Now we can achieve higher octane ratings without it, there is no need to burn lead in old cars.

*Heh, I just read the last couple of pages and I don't think anyone said it would. Nevermind then.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #203
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
wow, i can't stand to read this thread anymore, and it's my own thread. lol...
+1 ...last post from me for this thread... i promise...
Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #204
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
so whats the verdict on this topic?? is premium 89 octane gives out better mileage or is it regular gas 87 octane.. what is it??
Old 08-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #205
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Using higher octane than recommended will NOT make the engine knock*. It will make it less likely to knock. Higher octane = more stable and less likely to prematurely combust.
Members in this thread are correct in saying that you will most likely have no benefit from increasing the octane rating on the fuel (unless your car knocks at the recommended amount).
The top fuels (98 RON) are there to replace leaded petrol. Back in the day, lead was THE way to boost octane. Now we can achieve higher octane ratings without it, there is no need to burn lead in old cars.

*Heh, I just read the last couple of pages and I don't think anyone said it would. Nevermind then.
Edd, you make very good points. I just want to add that high octane is not just for old engines that required lead. In fact there are many very old cars that didn't need high octane, yet they did require lead. Even some 2008 models require high octane, for it's slower combustion properties; often these engines are large in displacement, and/or provide very high compression, and/or they utilize a turbo that requires a delayed burn inside the cylinder.

Reality Check Folks: Our small 1.5L low compression, non-turbo, low, low performance Yaris cars are the LAST car to get any benefit from high octane gas.

Lets get real here folks....most of the "benefits" many think they get is all in their heads....anyone hear of the Placebo effect?

Funny how age comes into play on this issue. My two teenaged daughters, both drivers, have several male friends in their age group, that all drive late model Japanese cars that DON'T require high octane, yet they ALL only use high octane gas, as they all have this dillusion of premium giving more "power" and more "speed".

Teenagers! Youth! LOL

Save your money, and be happy.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #206
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
TRUE. As per Yaris manual, it recommends 87 or higher. Why "or higher" ? Ever wonder why Toyota recommends wasting your money ? With NO REASON ? Is Toyota in business with Shell ? Well, if not, there should be a reason, unless there are places on Earth that sell only 89 or higher octane gasoline... don't think so...

Engines are optimized to run with a precise level of octane. If an engine requires 87 and the owner put 89 or higher, there will be absolutely no benefit for the engine. On the other hand, if and engine is optimized to run with 89 and the owner uses 87, the engine will not run at 100% performance. It will knock more or little because the mixture ignites before the optimum moment during compression, thus leading to hot points on the piston/ring surface. Because the mixture ignites before the moment when the engine compression is optimal, it produces less overall performance. But not by much, one will not be able to feel any difference.

To resume... if using 87 the engine starts knocking, try changing the brand... the Yaris engine should not be knocking to an audible/damageable level while using good quality 87 octane gasoline.
The "or higher" phrase only means that if 87 is not available, then using a higher octane is not going to damage your engine.

Don't be so quick to read more into the words, then what is literally meant.

Also, to suggest as a remedy, to use higher octane than called for in the manual, a way to remove knocking is plain wrong. It would be far better to take the car in and determine why it is knocking at the required octane, and to remedy the problem. Going up in octane is a band-aide that only masks a real problem.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #207
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Since this topic is back alive, I should mention that I tried a higher octane in my last two tanks, with no noticeable increase in mileage and/or performance. Mind you, it was an ethanol mix, so it may have had a part to play. You won't blow up your engine with higher octane, but whatever benefits probably do not outweigh the extra cost.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 08-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #208
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i find the yaris timing is right on the border of you being able to use 87 octane. slight change of slopes and temp even with its ecu adjusting..gives you a sluggish feel...89 got better outcome..its could also be just my car.. "Dont you guys notice a whirring sound when you accelerate , try driving beside a wall" i need to know if this is normal. or a slight knockin on the engine?

I know the sound you're talking about....my old '97 Camry did the same...that sound is NOT pinging...it is just the fuel injectors doing their thing....yea, my Yaris does the same thing when I drive near a wall....again, not pinging, just valve and injector noise....no worries.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #209
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
thanks pavel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
I know the sound you're talking about....my old '97 Camry did the same...that sound is NOT pinging...it is just the fuel injectors doing their thing....yea, my Yaris does the same thing when I drive near a wall....again, not pinging, just valve and injector noise....no worries.
thanks pavel ur the first to mention the fuel injectors..atleast im not the only one that notices the noiise during acceleration..
Old 08-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #210
Speedz
Will work for Yaris...

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
so whats the verdict on this topic?? is premium 89 octane gives out better mileage or is it regular gas 87 octane.. what is it??
There isnt any noticeable difference in performance or economy when using 87 or 100... I tried all of them... nah zilch nothing...

Only thing is your money been spent... mine you in Australia Shell's 100 octane was about $1.45/L vs $1.06/L for the 91 octane...
Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #211
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
My take:
Got a cheap car? Buy cheap gas.
Use "87 or higher" (per Yaris manual).
Maintain your car diligently and drive sensibly.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #212
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
everytime I use more premium fuel I get better fuel econimy..... the econ rating on the sticker from the factory were tested with 89 octane.... I use 89 or 91
Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #213
Kaotic Lazagna

brought back from the dead again. lol...i have't used premium every since the last time this thread was resurrected.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #214
Black Yaris
der Zeck

I am half temped to kill it.... I think we have all repeated our selves 3 times in this thead argueing the same thing back and forth, getting nowear... everyone is going to believe what they are going to believe... and not one is going to change there minds
Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #215
Kaotic Lazagna

yes, please kill my thread. let someone else start a war. i did it with this thread and my synthetic oil thread.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #216
Black Yaris
der Zeck

dead... too much bickering...