Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: How did your CAI affect performance
Bottom End worst, Top End Improve 11 29.73%
Bottom End worst, Top End worst 3 8.11%
Bottom end improve, top end worst 1 2.70%
Bottom and top end improve 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
Your thoughts about your cold air intake

Yours thoughts about your cold air intake please. If you have time, please elaborate as a reply. Thank you!
nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i'm interested in what people have to say. i want to get something that will improve the bottom end since i never/rarely go above 3.5k.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
tmyers82

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I have the TRD intake. I feel it improved both my bottom and top end performance. Improvement is more noticeable on the top end. After the install the idle seemed a little rough, but I had a tech look at it and it's whisper quiet again.
tmyers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
I got the Fujita intake. The top end was definitely improved, especially in third gear. The bottom end saw minimal gains I think but not much. I think that since the top end feels so much better, it makes it hard to notice the bottom end. (^_^)
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
i put mine on with like 200 miles on the car so im not sure about any gains over stock. i just know i have power in all ranges and i like the look of the trd chrome under my hood.
i don't like the fact that i have to keep re-positioning the intake after a few 1st gear burnouts.....
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
Ogredude

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris RS
the fujita definitely has some top end improvements, but its hard to tell with bottom, if you punch gas in neutral it revs much freer (higher) because it can breath way better than stock
Ogredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I had an AEM on my '03 Vibe for maybe a month. Alone, it was a total waste of time and money*. Couldn't tell one bit of difference, aside from the god awful howl emanating from beneath the hood... had more than one person ask me what was wrong with my car. After it blew my MAF sensor ($300 more wasted), I stripped that sucker out and sold it. Never again.

~YR

* Note: I already had a K&N filter installed, and couldn't tell any difference from the K&N to the AEM. The K&N, however, seemed to help throttle response somewhat when I first installed.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
* Note: I already had a K&N filter installed, and couldn't tell any difference from the K&N to the AEM. The K&N, however, seemed to help throttle response somewhat when I first installed.
I just inspected my stock filter and was curious if anyone tried the K&N. I am more apt to just replace the stocker with a good OEM replacement too. So, any improvement in fuel mileage after the K&N?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #9
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Bottom and Top end improvement. I have Toyota's TRD CAI. Improvement in gas mileage. About 50 miles more per tank.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
Anyone have any dyno sheets of intakes? Thats the true story of performance increase. The butt dyno has been known to lie to us. Just because it sounds faster doesn't mean it really is.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 AM   #11
zapp99

Drives: Belta 1.3A
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Been reading awhile before I decided to register.

My take, and the general consensus among my friends here, is that with the ECUs of our rides getting more and more advanced, they actually "learn" and adapt to the changes to the various parameters, such as air temp, etc. That probably explains why, placebo aside, any performance mods seem to give "initial" improvement, but goes back to "normal" after some time... when the ECU evens things out again.

So, are we throwing good money into a bottomless pit when we go for such mods? Who knows, but I know when I see a mod that promises this and that, the itch will always be there to try it! :)

just my 2cts
zapp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
well im getting a TRD CAI installed on ether friday or saterday so ill be able to tell you... i might even be able to dyno it... MAYBE. depending if my friends boss will let me use it

EDIT: ok so apparently no toyota dealer in nj had athe TRD intake so they had to order it so by ether tomorrow (monday) or tuesday i should have it installed.. ima try to get pictures and or a video of it getting installed... if not i will deff get video & audio of how it sounds underhood, outside, and inside for you guys

Last edited by Jerkratt; 05-21-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Jerkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM   #13
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
first i must say it gives it a nice growl kinda makes you think theres a bigger engine lol.. but yeah i noticed a little improvment on the off the line from a red light type of thing but the main power i notice on the highway... very nice tho i like it. and i know it was said by someone already popping the hood and seeing the red TRD logo kinda makes you smile... :-D
Jerkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
falkor_99

Drives: 07 Yaris Blue HB
Send a message via AIM to falkor_99
I put on my AEM CAI 2 days ago and I must say that I can already see the improvement on both bottom and top end. As other people have stated that you get a nice deep growl, and it is totally awesome. So to everyone who is thinking about getting CAI, dont think....just do it.
falkor_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
I have lost something in the lower rpms, but the difference is great in higher rpms.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:39 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I think it affects mid range the most. AEM here, installed in a hour with no issues. love the growl. I think it adds 5 hp at most, so it's not THAT exciting, but every little bit helps with these cars. Headers and exhaust are next!
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:33 AM   #17
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I think it affects mid range the most. AEM here, installed in a hour with no issues. love the growl. I think it adds 5 hp at most, so it's not THAT exciting, but every little bit helps with these cars. Headers and exhaust are next!
Headers? you get a V6?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:02 AM   #18
Bis

Drives: Yaris LB
there is no way you can notice a gain with just an intake. maybe mentally, but not physically.
Bis is offline   Reply With Quote