Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Having trouble putting gas in my car, nozzle always clicks off

My car has this really annoying fuel system issue that I've been dealing with since I got it (a year ago) where I have trouble filling up with fuel. The fuel nozzle clicks off every second or two when I fill up as if the tank is full. Even on an empty tank, it clicks off constantly. I have to hold the trigger on the fuel filler nozzle about halfway so it doesn't click off but fuel flow from the nozzle is less than half speed, so it takes forever just to fill up 10 gallons and I have to keep my hand on the nozzle as I fill up. This happens at every gas station, everywhere, all the time, every time. Its wildly annoying, but I haven't thought to ask you guys to see what we can do.

Check engine light isn't on, it's never been on, and this problem has been present in my entire ownership of the car. I have about 83k miles on it.

I inspected the fuel filler neck and tank as well as evap canister near the tank. I see literally ZERO problems. Everything is connected, no links, no kinks, no damage, nothing. Everything is a bit dirty and dusty, but thats normal.

There is no difference in driveability, no fuel leaks that I can ever see, no odor either.

I even disassembled parts of the fuel system near the tank, filler hose, and canister to see if I could find any sort of clogs in the lines or anything. I have found nothing.

Its seriously wildly annoying, but it doesn't cause any functional problems beyond just slow fuel fill ups, but I really want to know what it is.

According to the Toyota dealer I bought it from (certified pre-owned), it's still under factory powertrain warranty until 100k miles but the dealership service department basically said "we won't know if it's warranty repair or not until we diagnose it" and I don't want to take the risk because I don't have a few hundred dollars to spare if it's out-of-pocket repair.

Thanks guys!
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
You may have to get inventive in your search criteria to find a similar post from a few years back. Can't recall if any resolution got posted up in the thread.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
You may have to get inventive in your search criteria to find a similar post from a few years back. Can't recall if any resolution got posted up in the thread.

Yea I'm still searching.

Do we know if the 3rd gen fuel system is the same as 2nd gen and Echo's? If so, it can broaden my search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Search was actually easy http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40581

Old 06-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Search was actually easy http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40581

Hmmm. Reading it now. I didn't see this one. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
canister, evap, fuel