Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Yes Hershey, I am noticing that the Fram Fresh Breeze provides quite an improvement (at least in my case). The Yaris is such an airtight car, I almost always keep the window for the driver side door cracked open a bit...ever since the car was new. I've always ended up with a fair amount of dust (up to quite a bit at times) on the dash. I always assumed it was because I had the window cracked open just a bit. Now I'm getting almost no dust accumulation, and I haven't changed anything re the driver door window being cracked open a bit. I think the most logical explanation is that the Fram filter is catching most of what used to come into the cabin and partially into my lungs . The air flow is reduced, but that drawback is definitely worth what is being kept (in my case) out of the cabin .
A couple of hours ago I reconfigured the vents to the positioning and 'openness setting'/closed setting angles that existed pre my dash/interior cleaning, and so my previous statement above about airflow is thus incorrect --- the airflow now seems the same as it was pre filter --- no loss of airflow.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #20
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Thanks for all your input . Will most likely pick one up in a month or so .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Thanks for all your input . Will most likely pick one up in a month or so .
Old 04-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #22
Hershey

Picked one up at Wal-Mart for $18.98 + tax . Installed it in their parking lot in under 5 minutes . Hopefully will be able to reuse it for awhile by vacuuming out the pleats of the top side with a crevice tool . Seemed to go in easier when put to the recycle air setting . Thanks NOOK . Here are some pics .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1885.JPG (184.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1889.JPG (219.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1893.JPG (78.3 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1877.JPG (150.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1878.JPG (197.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1879.JPG (121.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1882.JPG (155.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #23
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I haven't looked for these filters at Walmart .. but I know in Canada they are heavily advertised by Canadian Tire (I generally hate Canadian Tire .. but I am warming up to them in my old age).

I think that my filter is fine in my Yaris .. otherwise the Toyota dealer would have been right after me to buy a new one. Hasn't happened yet .. so I think I am probably good.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Picked one up at Wal-Mart for $18.98 + tax . Installed it in their parking lot in under 5 minutes . Hopefully will be able to reuse it for awhile by vacuuming out the pleats of the top side with a crevice tool . Seemed to go in easier when put to the recycle air setting . Thanks NOOK . Here are some pics .
. What is that contraption inside the 'honeycomb cage' in the slot above where the filter goes? The person who did the DIY had that slot above filled as well, but without the 'honeycomb cage' over it. In my Yaris that slot is empty.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I haven't looked for these filters at Walmart .. but I know in Canada they are heavily advertised by Canadian Tire (I generally hate Canadian Tire .. but I am warming up to them in my old age).

I think that my filter is fine in my Yaris .. otherwise the Toyota dealer would have been right after me to buy a new one. Hasn't happened yet .. so I think I am probably good.
I don't know what the OEM one for Canada looks like (different than USDM?), but the next time you happen to be at a Wal-Mart, take a quick look for one. I think it is superior to the one my local Toyota dealer sells for my Yaris.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
Hershey

I think it's where the door is that directs air flow . Not sure if it's supposed to be open like that . Wonder if someone else could get a picture of it for comparison . , . The TOYOTA charcoal cabin filter is over $30 if I remember correctly .
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I think it's where the door is that directs air flow . Not sure if it's supposed to be open like that . Wonder if someone else could get a picture of it for comparison . , . The TOYOTA charcoal cabin filter is over $30 if I remember correctly .
It's plausible that yours might be different re you having a sedan, except toward the beginning of this thread I looked at BailOut's DIY and Bailout's Yaris has what I called 'the contraption' in that slot (just like your Yaris) except that he doesn't have that honeycomb cage over 'the contraption' like you do, BUT he does have the same year and model I do. I'm just wondering what 'the contraption' is because it seems to me that BailOut's Yaris (being same year same model as mine) should either be without 'the contraption' (like my yaris) or that my Yaris should have 'the contraption'. Since my Yaris isn't malfunctioning, I probably shouldn't be fishing for a problem/issue, but it just bugs me. That lower glove box had never been removed before the cabin air filter install. A parts person at a Toyota dealer could probably shed some light on the situation re the diagrams they can pull up on their screen. I'll post what I happen to find out.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #28
Hershey

Took pics of the opening . It's for air flow within the cabin when set to RECYCLE . Hope this puts you at ease .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1897.JPG (153.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1899.JPG (175.0 KB, 96 views)
Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Took pics of the opening . It's for air flow within the cabin when set to RECYCLE . Hope this puts you at ease .
Thanks so much! The pic and the red letter commentary pull the whole thing together. Even though (as you can see on the pic of that area in my Yaris) I don't have 'the contraption' in my Yaris, the functions you describe still work perfectly in my car, so I won't worry about it at all. Perhaps they used different parts that perform the same function. I know that even though BailOut has the same model I do, the plastic in that area in his Yaris is a different color than in mine. Thanks again!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #30
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
The TOYOTA charcoal cabin filter is over $30 if I remember correctly .
I tossed mine the first time the dealer told me i had one and it was going to cost $50 to install a new one..
I've been driving 50yrs without one and think its just a money grab.for most of the year i drive with windows down anyway
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
Hershey

We never used a cabin air filter until purchasing an '08 Yaris . Will keep using one since it catches small debri from getting into the blower and housing . May also deter a mouse or chipmonk from getting in the housing for storage . Have had issues with critters in the past . Found nuts and seeds in past vehicles owned and had to remove blower to get it out . Sound was like that of a Russian roulette wheel when turning on the fan . The '11 FIT got invaded and found seeds ( pine ) , most likley a chipmunk or red squirrel . Luckily it didn't chew through the filter .
Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #32
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
We never used a cabin air filter until purchasing an '08 Yaris . Will keep using one since it catches small debri from getting into the blower and housing . May also deter a mouse or chipmonk from getting in the housing for storage . Have had issues with critters in the past . Found nuts and seeds in past vehicles owned and had to remove blower to get it out . Sound was like that of a Russian roulette wheel when turning on the fan . The '11 FIT got invaded and found seeds ( pine ) , most likley a chipmunk or red squirrel . Luckily it didn't chew through the filter .
Wow! The only issue I've ever had that was remotely like that concerned a cat. When I was 16 my dad bought an old '67 Firebird convertible (that had been supposedly been completey rebuilt by someone else) to drive in case he was without a company car. It ended up being my car temporarily until I bought my own car with my own savings at age 17. Before starting the Firebird, I'd pat the hood a bit to wake up our cat if necessary. There was sooo much room under the hood (it had a 326 in it but a 400 would fit) that the cat used to like to sleep on top of the air filter housing.

Oh wait, I guess more closely related would be having 2 or so cars where the grill between the back of the hood and the windshield left spaces that were too big and having to park under trees let leaves get into that system in those cars.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #33
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Got my oil changed today and the guys said I didn't have a cabin air filter, which lead me to finding this thread. I've driven without a cabin air filter in my Yaris for the 62,000 miles I've owned the car out of the 112,000 miles on it. Should I prepare to clean some part of my car that has become a "cesspool" with lysol or something before installing one? Might help my allergies I figure.