Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
2009 Yaris has trouble starting, finally starts and clock is 10 minutes behind?

Car wouldn’t crank at all. I went to turn it over and the dash lights wouldn’t even come on. Nothing. Dome light was coming on when I opened the door... I shut the door, opened the hood to look and tried to crank it again and it turned over.

Haven’t shut it off since - but I suspected the starter (which was replaced and now had 200k on it) and stopped at autozone to get a replacement starter. Did not turn the car off and it’s ran fine ever since. They tested the alternator which was replaced in November and that was fine. Battery was also replaced in November but I didn’t want to shut the car off and get trances so they were unable to test the battery.

The oddest thing is that the clock seems to have lost 10 minutes. All the radio presets are sill there... do you guys think it’s a corroded positive battery connection?
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
firebird1999us

Good news it was a simple fix - positive battery terminal was loose!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird1999us View Post
Good news it was a simple fix - positive battery terminal was loose!
I have had a lot of issues with this. My battery tie down has never held my battery in place very well and both + and - terminals have come loose several times. More often it is the + terminal. I normally know when it's getting loose because I'll be driving down the road and the lights on my cluster will start flickering.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
firebird1999us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I have had a lot of issues with this. My battery tie down has never held my battery in place very well and both + and - terminals have come loose several times. More often it is the + terminal. I normally know when it's getting loose because I'll be driving down the road and the lights on my cluster will start flickering.
Yeah that's exactly what happened when I tried to start it... it was like watching a computer fail to boot!? ha

Its started like a champ since then. I was sure it was the starter until I noticed the clock being 10 minutes behind!