Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
Lightbulb Debating acceleration techniques

It seems on this site most are using very slow acceleration to maximize FE. On one or two other sites talk about using 1/2 or more throttle to operate the engine in it's most efficient zone (reduces pumping losses).

I have just purchased my 2013 Yaris and just finished the first tank of gas, so it's too early to begin testing, however my Kia Rio seemed to not care how gentle I drove it, or how hard I drove it, it always got about the same mileage.

Now, with the Ecometer on the Yaris I can see the effect of heavy acceleration directly and it is interesting to note that more pedal gives a heavy hit, but using about 1/2 throttle gets me up to speed much faster, when I can then drop back to light throttle.

The idea is to operate the engine in the best zone for efficiency, which is around 1/2 throttle, keeping RPMs low at the same time.

So, using the heavy foot approach the Ecometer shows a hit on instant MPG, but for a shorter time. Using a very light touch will take a less hit, but will stay in that mode for a longer time.

I have no idea which method would work better. My Kia did not seem to care, it always sucked (28-33 MPG). I'm wondering if anyone has tried both methods. I rather like the 1/2 throttle, low RPM method as I get going faster, and nobody is cussing at me.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote