Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Thomasaquinas

Drives: Yaris 2007
Exclamation Head Gasket/replacement...questions about engine health from the overheating.

Hello,
I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris which has about 150,000 miles. I love this car and it
overheated on the highway. The car shutdown which freaked me out. I had it towed back to my yard and replaced the water pump as well as the thermostat. Afterwards, I started the engine and white smoke started coming out which is indicative of a head gasket failure. I ordered a block tester and will do the test myself tomorrow.

I have a quick question. I don't have the money to replace the engine totally, but I want to do that in the near future. My question is if I did a head gasket replacement myself, how likely is that i can get this car driving at least locally? I guess I am afraid that their is damage to the head or block from the overheating. Is my only choice to replace the head gasket to find out if the engine is damaged?

I love this car and I will not dump it. I just wanted to some input regarding how to proceed and how to get this car functioning again.

I am including a picture of under the hood where it looks like there may be some soot from the overheating.

Is their any other way for me to check the engine block and head for damage besides during the actual replacement of the head gasket?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2824.jpg (121.4 KB, 90 views)
Thomasaquinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Sorry to see that. I'm not a wrench turner, but this sounds like the perfect excuse to swap for the 2ZR

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:57 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
head gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaquinas View Post
Hello,
I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris which has about 150,000 miles. I love this car and it
overheated on the highway. The car shutdown which freaked me out. I had it towed back to my yard and replaced the water pump as well as the thermostat. Afterwards, I started the engine and white smoke started coming out which is indicative of a head gasket failure. I ordered a block tester and will do the test myself tomorrow.

I have a quick question. I don't have the money to replace the engine totally, but I want to do that in the near future. My question is if I did a head gasket replacement myself, how likely is that i can get this car driving at least locally? I guess I am afraid that their is damage to the head or block from the overheating. Is my only choice to replace the head gasket to find out if the engine is damaged?

I love this car and I will not dump it. I just wanted to some input regarding how to proceed and how to get this car functioning again.

I am including a picture of under the hood where it looks like there may be some soot from the overheating.

Is their any other way for me to check the engine block and head for damage besides during the actual replacement of the head gasket?
Yes. There is obviously some damage that can't be repaired w/o pulling the head. So do that. (If block and/or head show damage, you might prefer to buy a used engine rather than repair this one. Even if head and block don't show cracks, the overheating may have warped them.)
(Block tester? Maybe one of the mechanics on this forum can say if there is any rationale for using this first...I don't even know what it is.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
First of all, what was the cause of the overheating?

Secondly if you're burning coolant from a head gasket failure due to overheating then the chances of a warped head are very high. So on top of replacing the head gasket You will need to pay to have the head machined.

In other words in a common engine like the 1nz it would likely be cheaper to swap in a lower mileage engine from a recycler. Putting in the same engine in a car is much simpler and costs less than putting in a different engine (like a 2zr) if you have a shop do it for you.

This obviously depends on if you do the work yourself or not, but something to consider none the less.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
"Soot?"
Was this vehicle being driven w/ a squealing serpentine belt? (black mess on the hood sorta lines up w/ it.) The over-temperatue light on?

Last edited by dogsridewith; 06-16-2018 at 09:20 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
Thomasaquinas

Thanks guys for the replies. I had been thinking about this for awhile, but I think your replies really settled it for me. I am going to swap the engine out.

I am going to try to do this myself. I have some mechanical experience since I have done all the repairs on the car so far. I realize that this is big project besides a shop crane does anyone think their are any other specialized tools, I would need? I have a impact wrench/gun, lots of different sockets, extensions, etc.

At this point, I need this car for work and the longer it is off the road the longer, I am not able to bring anything home. I can basically afford rent for another month. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge about how to look for and where to buy a reputable engine? Obviously, I expect that this could cost up to about $1,000 for the engine alone. Does anyone have any good experience purchasing a replacement engine.

When I do this replacement, I am going to post the pictures on this forum and give a play by play.

Any advice on how to proceed now? I have the repair manual and I have been going through it carefully regarding the engine replacement. I have used it for all the repairs so far and it is always really helpful.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Thomasaquinas

Thumbs up First steps...

Alright, guys I am going to try to document this process. The first step was made this morning, I bought a used shop crane. Here is its.
Does anyone know how best to go about finding a good engine. I am not talking about a junkyard, but someone online who is reputable, etc. Any suggestion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0780.jpg (197.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaquinas View Post
Alright, guys I am going to try to document this process. The first step was made this morning, I bought a used shop crane. Here is its.
Does anyone know how best to go about finding a good engine. I am not talking about a junkyard, but someone online who is reputable, etc. Any suggestion
The best source for a good used engine would be basically a junkyard. Not all junkyards are the same, some will have good running engines taken out of wrecked car for sale with a warranty. LKQ is a national chain that sells motors this way. Used motors are always a bit of a gamble even with a warranty but are much more cost effective compared to a new engine or a reman. long block. Not sure what a used 1NZ-FE would good for from a place like LKQ but I think it should be in the rough neighbourhood of $700. If you feel like pulling an engine yourself from a place like pick n pull then you should be able to get a complete engine for less then $300.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I would try looking on eBay for an engine. I helped a friend get a good engine for his motorcycle there. There are people who specializes in this sort of thing on eBay and they probably have references.

It’s worth a shot.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
+1 on LKQ or a large chain. The difference between Joe Guy's wrecker and LKQ is (can be, some small places might be great) noticeable.. When I picked up my 2ZR it was clean, wiring had only 1 cut and it was neat, and the use of FME plugs (bungs to keep crap from getting into the water jacket, intake & exhaust manifolds, etc..) shows some care in storing; less likely to find your fresh engine install sucking in a mouse nest, lol.

1NZs can be dirt cheap, depending on mileage. Have a look on http://www.car-part.com/ if you haven't already and find a wrecker close to you. Some big wreckers, like LKQ, also sell online - that's how I picked up my A/C compressor - but i think ordering a whole engine assembly you'll lose on shipping if you want it to your door.

Quick tip: don't try to sneak it out the top without removing the rad support , etc.. you'll cause yourself more headache; guess how I found that out.. lol

Good luck with it! Post your progress.

-- Adam

Last edited by atomic_hoji; 06-17-2018 at 09:51 AM.
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote