Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
PeacePiper

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Volume fluxuations front to back and left to right?

Hi,
Whenever I listen to FM stereo stations, the volume never stays constant from front to back and from left to right. Has anyone else experienced this? It isn't a big change in volume, but it is annoying. It happens only with the radio. CD and Aux-in works and stays constant. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,
--Dan--
PeacePiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
PeacePiper

Factory speakers and deck...
Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
goku87

Drives: Black HB
In a nut shell...

This can be caused by many things, multipath interference, poor modulation (highly unlikely, as the radio stations have expensive transmission equipment), or poor demodulation. My guess is that when this happens you are probably by hardened structures that reflect the radio waves, so the multiple paths the radio waves travel cause the electromagnetic waves to cancel each other out to a certain degree. Sometimes this error is big enough to cause degradation in the information, which includes volume/pan information, among other things, when talking about FM.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
PeacePiper

Hey,
Thanks for the input man. I have never had this happen in any other vehicle I've had, and I have had a lot of vehicles. It even happens on the highway when passing farm fields. It must be a defective stereo if I am the only one it is happening to. I wonder if the radio is covered under warranty?
Cheers...